follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
BokChoiTV

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge Install

Anyone know if it's a tedious or hard process? I'm more than likely going to get some local place to do it for me, but I'm just worried it'd be troublesome for them and they'd end up cutting corners or doing a 'good-enough' job just to get it over with.
Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Gauge into a A-pillar gauge pod.
BokChoiTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
BokChoiTV

Anyone?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Easy as pie.

For the oil temp, your going to need an adaptor. On the top of the block there is a small plug just below and to the driver side of the intake. Unscrew it, then instal the 1/8th adaptor plug into the hole, then instal the oil temp sender into the adaptor. The rest is wiring the gauge.

http://www.maperformance.com/prospor...lley-plug.html

The oil pressure will require you to unscrew the oem oil pressure sender, insert a brass T fitting and then reinstall the factory and aftermarket gauges sender into the t-fitting. So opt to simply not use the factory oil pressure sender and just instal the gauge's in it's place. Another option is to get a guage that gets it's data from the ecu port under the dash and read using the factory equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
BokChoiTV (03-22-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Honestly, I just trusted a local shop to do it. Much easier. Like will diy almost anything but gauges, carbon fiber and engine assembly. Just not something I have much know how with.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSfan111 For This Useful Post:
BokChoiTV (03-22-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I actually have my oil pressure gauge installed using a port on my oil cooler .
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #6
BokChoiTV

Thanks! Sounds easy. But I'm mechanically challenged LOL so I might have a shop do it. I'm just worried they'll have a hard time but I'll invest in proper items before getting them to do it..
Old 03-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
All it entails is running the sensor in the bay then running power and ground to it. Doesn't get much easier than that. I don't think you should be asking people what it entails when you seem to already have your mind made up that you are bringing it to a shop though.

If its a performance shop I would hope they wouldn't have a hard time with it...if thats the case i'd find another shop.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Easy as pie.

For the oil temp, your going to need an adaptor. On the top of the block there is a small plug just below and to the driver side of the intake. Unscrew it, then instal the 1/8th adaptor plug into the hole, then instal the oil temp sender into the adaptor. The rest is wiring the gauge.

The oil pressure will require you to unscrew the oem oil pressure sender, insert a brass T fitting and then reinstall the factory and aftermarket gauges sender into the t-fitting. So opt to simply not use the factory oil pressure sender and just instal the gauge's in it's place. Another option is to get a guage that gets it's data from the ecu port under the dash and read using the factory equipment.
Don't know about our cars, but some engine management systems will liqht the CEL and/or shut down the engine if it doesn't see an oil pressure signal.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
FR-Shred

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Easy as pie.

Do you know what t fitting is needed? Size? Model number?
Old 12-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shred View Post
Do you know what t fitting is needed? Size? Model number?
I wouldn't use a tee for temps as the probe will not be in the flow of the oil. I use a sandwitch plate at the filter for mine.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
BDotG

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just went through a pain in the ass process (it shouldnt have been that hard, just first time for everything). I highly recommend the sandwich plate adaptor for the temp and pressure sensors, make sure you use teflon tape on the threads tho, and they don't need to be put in very tight, just hand turned and then maybe half a turn with a wrench.

The hardest part wasn't figuring out the wiring, it was trying to figure out how to get two thick cables to go through the firewall grommet. I wired my ignition to a add a circuit in the fuse box, and just grounded the dimmer as I didn't really need it. Then you just need to hook up the sensors the gauge and boom.
BDotG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDotG View Post
Just went through a pain in the ass process (it shouldnt have been that hard, just first time for everything). I highly recommend the sandwich plate adaptor for the temp and pressure sensors, make sure you use teflon tape on the threads tho, and they don't need to be put in very tight, just hand turned and then maybe half a turn with a wrench.

The hardest part wasn't figuring out the wiring, it was trying to figure out how to get two thick cables to go through the firewall grommet. I wired my ignition to a add a circuit in the fuse box, and just grounded the dimmer as I didn't really need it. Then you just need to hook up the sensors the gauge and boom.
I ran my wires through the the fender vent area into the cabin rather through the fire wall, it was really easy with a coat hanger haha!!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I ran my wires through the the fender vent area into the cabin rather through the fire wall, it was really easy with a coat hanger haha!!
Wouldn't you see it a little bit with that gap between the fender and door? I think that would drive me nuts knowing it's there. The little things.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Wouldn't you see it a little bit with that gap between the fender and door? I think that would drive me nuts knowing it's there. The little things.
Haha, yeah most of it is hidden behind trim and seals but there is a tiny like 1 inch bit you can see when the door is open. I had black tape on it to hide it for a while.