follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > GR86 - Second Generation 86 > GR86 General Topics

GR86 General Topics General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #463
JesseG
Senior Member
 
JesseG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Location: Dallas
Posts: 750
Thanks: 2,273
Thanked 361 Times in 245 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
The ITR didn't sell because it was expensive for what it was. Objective enthusiasts passed over it waiting for the rumored WRX, or bought a pony car or whatever else. Sport Compact Car did a comparison called V8 Smackdown where they pitted the ITR against a regular Mustang GT, and the Mustang beat it in every objective test, and it was cheaper. Those mustangs sold like hotcakes despite the economic downturn. JDM enthusiasts rather just pick up a used Integra and mod it out, since you could buy a practically mint GSR back then for 10-15k, which was way less than half of that ITR.

Like the S2000CR, it became popular after the fact when rational though no longer prevailed. People want to get nolstalgic and buy these cars now that they can afford it, and while theyre at it buy the best rendition of it.

The NSX was competitive when it came out, but the 300zx, Supra, RX7, and 3000gt eclipsed it in performance, and the Euro competition caught and surpassed it. You bought the NSX because of the way it looked, plain and simple. It was an exotic bargain in 1990, by 1996 it was a good looking obsolete car.

And people back then knew what Supras could do, and when it got discotinued they held their value relatively well. Unlike the 300ZX which you could buy a good example for under 10k, the MKIV Supra never really dropped below 20k, and for the longest time hovered around 30k. F&F brought attention to it, but you didn't see cars like the Eclipse or RX7 skyrocketing in prices liek teh Supra did. What ended up happening was that they all got popular, but the Supra which was relatively already rare, became rarer as people crashed them, needed replacement parts, etc. The FD is becoming more and more expensive these day as well.

The DC2 integra has a very loyal, fanatic following, and unmolested cars are very rare, and alot have succumbed to be being stolen and stripped that these cars are becoming increasingly rare. But I'd much rather drive an S2000 or an 86 than an ITR unless I wanted to be nostalgic.

Another example would be Vipers which have also creeped up in prices lately. I remember you could buy a 96 GTS for under 30k, now you'd be hard pressed to find one under 45k. I had a buddy who bought an NSX in 97 or 98, it was a 93 IIRC (two tone... shoot it may have been a 96 because it mightve had ttops..., nah couldnt be), got it for about 25k.

I think a big part of the problem with Integra Type Rís selling was the guys who wanted them, had trouble affording them. Same thing with the S2000. And bringing up the Mustang GT is a good example of shopping for a car based on HP and torque. Iíve had plenty of seat time in that era Mustang GT, and I fu**ing hate them. They really are piles of garbage. Aside from how they sound, which can be awesome. Two cars couldnít have more different approaches to performance. The ITR feels light, balanced, precise, and just alive. The GT is rattly and wobbly and the clutch and shifter are god awful. Plus you feel like you are sitting on top of them.

But anyway, I think the collector market for some of these classic Japanese sports cars will continue to grow. Like you said prices for FD RX7ís in good shape are rapidly climbing. The Supra has been a legend for a long time. Stories about how much power they could make, and secret top speed runs became a phenomenon. I remember one of the earliest videos I watched on YouTube was a Supra walking away from a Hayabusa on the highway. It was mind blowing, a car shouldnít be able to walk away from one of the fastest sportbikes of all time. Whatís even better about the Supra is that itís such a great car, not just a highway monster. I donít think Japanese tuners went as crazy with horsepower and they focused more on the balance of the car.
Iíve always been a big fan of Japanese cars, so itís nice to see these really awesome cars get the spotlight. The downside is itís getting more difficult to buy them. Importing from Japan is tempting, but then you have a right hand drive car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #464
Dirty Harry
Senior Member
 
Dirty Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 345
Thanks: 295
Thanked 335 Times in 164 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Importing from Japan is tempting, but then you have a right hand drive car.
What’s wrong with that? Works well here and 74 other countries
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
alone1i (08-29-2020), JD001 (08-30-2020), JesseG (08-29-2020), Lantanafrs2 (01-22-2021), soundman98 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #465
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB
 
wbradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '18 STI Sport
Location: Thornhill Ontario
Posts: 3,690
Thanks: 658
Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,167 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I leased 2 new Integras- a '97 4 door with M5, leather, sunroof, nice wheels etc. and a '99 3 door with all the same content plus a rear spoiler. It was a special edition of some sort. When I went to make the deal on the first one, I think I saw the ITR and was aware of it, and actually considered it as an option for when I went over to the 3 door except I didn't like the idea of needing a spare set of wheels with winter tires. I had never owned a car with summer tires and I remembered my Mom's '90 Celica GTS had winter/summer wheels and tires and it just wasn't as if I was vaguely aware of track performance, it was just a nice car that I might have leased and returned in 3 years not realizing it was a classic in the future. I didn't read import car magazines at the time. Ended up leasing 4 Acuras over 11+ years. Honda Accord '08 V6 EX-R afterward had a significantly cheaper feel to the interior.
__________________
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #466
JesseG
Senior Member
 
JesseG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Location: Dallas
Posts: 750
Thanks: 2,273
Thanked 361 Times in 245 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I leased 2 new Integras- a '97 4 door with M5, leather, sunroof, nice wheels etc. and a '99 3 door with all the same content plus a rear spoiler. It was a special edition of some sort. When I went to make the deal on the first one, I think I saw the ITR and was aware of it, and actually considered it as an option for when I went over to the 3 door except I didn't like the idea of needing a spare set of wheels with winter tires. I had never owned a car with summer tires and I remembered my Mom's '90 Celica GTS had winter/summer wheels and tires and it just wasn't as if I was vaguely aware of track performance, it was just a nice car that I might have leased and returned in 3 years not realizing it was a classic in the future. I didn't read import car magazines at the time. Ended up leasing 4 Acuras over 11+ years. Honda Accord '08 V6 EX-R afterward had a significantly cheaper feel to the interior.

I totally understand why the DC2 Integras have such a loyal following, they are terrific cars. I really also liked the GSR trim, it was set up with some nicer features, a sun roof, leather, etc.
Honda (and Acura) absolutely ruled the import car world, and there were two kinds of ITRs at the time. Those that had been broken into/stolen, and those that would be broken into/stolen. It was insane. Even the GSR was a big target for thieves. So it was a weird combination of the ITR not being on most peopleís radar, but being very much on a small group of peopleís radar. I knew back then it was a unique and special car, but I realize that even more so now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:57 AM   #467
DarkSunrise
Senior Member
 
DarkSunrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 13 FR-S
Location: USA
Posts: 5,402
Thanks: 1,571
Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,993 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
The ITR didn't sell because it was expensive for what it was. Objective enthusiasts passed over it waiting for the rumored WRX, or bought a pony car or whatever else. Sport Compact Car did a comparison called V8 Smackdown where they pitted the ITR against a regular Mustang GT, and the Mustang beat it in every objective test, and it was cheaper.
I remember that exact article! Given all the hype around the ITR, I thought it would at least have the faster laptimes. I do think the appeal of the ITR isn't necessarily the numbers but the driving experience and in retrospect today, I'd rather have an ITR than a similar-era Mustang GT.
__________________
Build Page
"I love this car. I think we wimped out when we didn't name it Best Driver's Car." -Randy Pobst on the BRZ
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #468
TheDonEffect
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: A mix
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 78
Thanks: 21
Thanked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I think a big part of the problem with Integra Type Rís selling was the guys who wanted them, had trouble affording them. Same thing with the S2000. And bringing up the Mustang GT is a good example of shopping for a car based on HP and torque. Iíve had plenty of seat time in that era Mustang GT, and I fu**ing hate them. They really are piles of garbage. Aside from how they sound, which can be awesome. Two cars couldnít have more different approaches to performance. The ITR feels light, balanced, precise, and just alive. The GT is rattly and wobbly and the clutch and shifter are god awful. Plus you feel like you are sitting on top of them.

But anyway, I think the collector market for some of these classic Japanese sports cars will continue to grow. Like you said prices for FD RX7ís in good shape are rapidly climbing. The Supra has been a legend for a long time. Stories about how much power they could make, and secret top speed runs became a phenomenon. I remember one of the earliest videos I watched on YouTube was a Supra walking away from a Hayabusa on the highway. It was mind blowing, a car shouldnít be able to walk away from one of the fastest sportbikes of all time. Whatís even better about the Supra is that itís such a great car, not just a highway monster. I donít think Japanese tuners went as crazy with horsepower and they focused more on the balance of the car.
Iíve always been a big fan of Japanese cars, so itís nice to see these really awesome cars get the spotlight. The downside is itís getting more difficult to buy them. Importing from Japan is tempting, but then you have a right hand drive car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah those new edge mustangs weren't very good, but they sold and actually alot of people like them. And lets not forget about the terminators.

I disagree with the power aspect, the supras and such were powerful for the day. 300+hp was alot in the 90s. V8 mustangs at that time were 220hp, the new edge generation was 260 for instance. Those japanese cars were amongst the fastest things you could buy. Period. Unless you're buying a viper, xj220, and a handful of super exotic stuff.

On the low end, a 180hp gsr can compete with a v8 mustsng, and wqs for less money too. It really was the heyday of the imports because they had adequate power for its time.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
JesseG (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #469
JesseG
Senior Member
 
JesseG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Location: Dallas
Posts: 750
Thanks: 2,273
Thanked 361 Times in 245 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Yeah those new edge mustangs weren't very good, but they sold and actually alot of people like them. And lets not forget about the terminators.

I disagree with the power aspect, the supras and such were powerful for the day. 300+hp was alot in the 90s. V8 mustangs at that time were 220hp, the new edge generation was 260 for instance. Those japanese cars were amongst the fastest things you could buy. Period. Unless you're buying a viper, xj220, and a handful of super exotic stuff.

On the low end, a 180hp gsr can compete with a v8 mustsng, and wqs for less money too. It really was the heyday of the imports because they had adequate power for its time.

Agreed, they sold very well. The Mustang in my opinion has never been a very good car, until recently. But I just look for different things in a car than what they offer. In the muscle car segment I always thought the Camaro was a better car. BUT, the Mustang is a cult classic and always will be, and it has usually sold better than its competition.
Yeah the Supra turbo was powerful for its time, and even now itís considered good power. The horsepower wars hadnít kicked into full drive yet. Maybe I should clarify and say the Mustang GT was a classic case of choosing a car because it has a V8. Never mind the rest of the car sucks. All cars have to compromise somewhere, I guess it just matters what parts you are ok with being compromised.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #470
JesseG
Senior Member
 
JesseG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Location: Dallas
Posts: 750
Thanks: 2,273
Thanked 361 Times in 245 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I remember that exact article! Given all the hype around the ITR, I thought it would at least have the faster laptimes. I do think the appeal of the ITR isn't necessarily the numbers but the driving experience and in retrospect today, I'd rather have an ITR than a similar-era Mustang GT.

I remember the article also, it must have left an impression on a lot of us. And I remember being kind of ticked off at it. Lol But that is auto ďjournalismĒ for ya! They know their reader base.
Itís not even a question for me ITR over any Mustang of that time. You donít drive magazine numbers right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #471
DarkSunrise
Senior Member
 
DarkSunrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 13 FR-S
Location: USA
Posts: 5,402
Thanks: 1,571
Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,993 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I remember the article also, it must have left an impression on a lot of us. And I remember being kind of ticked off at it. Lol But that is auto “journalism” for ya! They know their reader base.
It’s not even a question for me ITR over any Mustang of that time. You don’t drive magazine numbers right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's funny how it's still the same age-old debate today. The Japanese sports cars (86/Miata) are worse in most metrics than their domestic counterparts, but are smaller, lighter and generally better to drive.

Apparently some things never change...
__________________
Build Page
"I love this car. I think we wimped out when we didn't name it Best Driver's Car." -Randy Pobst on the BRZ
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-04-2020), theneptune86 (01-26-2021)
Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #472
brilliantnerd2050
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Drives: IDONT HAVEONE
Location: VENEZUELA
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
These pic are awesome!!
brilliantnerd2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #473
gymratter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: BMW
Location: TX
Posts: 2,021
Thanks: 1,720
Thanked 1,528 Times in 792 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (01-22-2021), StE92ve (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #474
StE92ve
Senior Member
 
StE92ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 169
Thanks: 453
Thanked 204 Times in 89 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That front end looks awesome if only shown for a brief moment in that side view mirror
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #475
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,048
Thanks: 1,139
Thanked 1,625 Times in 891 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I didn't see a thing in that video. Got any sasquatch vids?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #476
Sasquachulator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: 2016 Scion iM, 2017 BMW X1
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,827
Thanks: 19
Thanked 1,095 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I didn't see a thing in that video. Got any sasquatch vids?
nope sorry, thats my secret

It looked like the Camry was trying to get in front of the 86 to block the view lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-22-2021)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on new 2021 Toyota GT86/GR86 Danikt GR86 General Topics 48 03-17-2021 01:25 AM
2018 Toyota Camry Spied: Normalness in a New Generation gymratter Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 95 10-12-2020 12:19 AM
Drift King Video Test: Gazoo Racing GR86 vs. BRZ STI TofuJoe Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 1 03-15-2018 08:21 PM
2019 Toyota Avalon Spied For the First Time, Expect a Bolder Design gymratter Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 6 08-05-2017 02:08 PM
Video: First time drifting! Shady195 Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 3 04-20-2015 05:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.