follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Drives: Currently Carless
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally drove an FR-S. I think I understand now.

Hey guys, new member. Possibly staying for a while, depends on what I buy to replace my MK1 ZX3 (rip).

I've been driving a few cars around my price range (15-20k or so), but until yesterday I hadn't driven an FR-S. My car guy friends, for the most part, bitched that it was "too slow," that it'd be unusable. But I spent the last few years in something damn slow without any problems, so I really don't see what they're on about.

Straight line, stock? Yeah, I wouldn't say the FR-S feels quick, but it's enough. Anyway, more to my point -- the overall experience, though short (because dealership) was very positive. I never did like the way the FR-S looks in photos, but it's striking in person, in the right color. What I did notice as I got in -- the FR-S feels like an early 2000s Toyota on the inside. All the switches and placements felt super logical, and even on my short trip I didn't hunt for anything. It's a very simple place to be, which is a rarity these days, where even cheap cars are getting annoying levels of tech.

The clutch throw is SHORT, but so familiar. I didn't think modern cars had clutch throws this short (my Focus had a very similar throw, though the feel was better. Hydraulic system though). The bite point was a little blurry, but much better than most of what I've driven. Steering, on the other hand -- granted, I only had a short time with it, but the electronic steering is pretty nuts for such a cheap car. It felt about as heavy as modern Fords in their "track" setting, but it's a bit better defined.

My big question is the gearbox, however. I'm used to longer throws (yay Ford gearboxes) but the stock shifter on the FR-S was nice...until I tried quicker shifts. Third gear was just not having it. It may have been slightly cold still, but is that normal for these cars?

I'm not sure WHEN exactly I'll be ready to buy yet, but I do like the FR-S quite a bit. Felt like a RWD version of the last Celica. It's infinitely better to drive than the GTI, easier to handle than the FoST (GG open diff, Ford), and I actually fit in it really well (sadly, the FiST is claustrophobic). And the WRX hatch is just stupid overpriced.
Malibooya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malibooya For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (08-02-2016), DAEMANO (02-22-2016), soulreapersteve (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
Apex-Apex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I haven't had issues with 3rd gear.

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
IG: @apexapexapex
Apex-Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You will get used to the gear box. It is very notchy and the "close enough" technique used in many cars just won't cut it. I actually really prefer the shift on these over many I have had in the past.
mrmaniti_86 (08-01-2016), Summerwolf (02-22-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did you drive a used car?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can't really jam gears in it. It does improve as the gear oil warms. You can also replace the transmission fluid with a better fluid such as Amsoil. Clutch feel is greatly improved after the removal of the assist spring on the pedal. I've owned mine for 6 months now and don't feel overwhelming desire for more power.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KendallH For This Useful Post:
86kahl (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Well hello, Malibooya, and welcome to ......The Forum .........

Yep, the manual transmission on the FR-S much prefers to be warm before it shifts real smooth.

All in all, I've found the FR-S to be a fun car to drive.

Lots of things can be done to make them ..... go faster.

However, once you get that puppy up state into the hills, you will find out what it likes to do best ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Did you drive a used car?
Yes. I drove this one specifically. Less than 18K miles.: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=133529073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You will get used to the gear box. It is very notchy and the "close enough" technique used in many cars just won't cut it. I actually really prefer the shift on these over many I have had in the past.
I'm used to the heavy, long feeling of the old MTX-75. Those did have a lot of leeway in them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
You can't really jam gears in it. It does improve as the gear oil warms. You can also replace the transmission fluid with a better fluid such as Amsoil. Clutch feel is greatly improved after the removal of the assist spring on the pedal. I've owned mine for 6 months now and don't feel overwhelming desire for more power.
That's good to know. In general, it didn't seem to cooperate too much, but the car was so new...just wanted to make sure that's a normal characteristic and not a sign of a thrashed gearbox.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You can't really make the gearbox do what it doesn't want to do on this car, it has a narrow goldilocks zone where if you do it right it's fuckin' buttery smooth and it is not like most mass produced gearboxes that are designed for everyone from the teenager to the cheap pencil pusher to your granny. I don't think I was nailing it consistently until I was 30k miles and two years into owning the car.

imo if you're driving around town, sub 4k rpm you simply can't rush the gearbox, at all. If you're banging shifts off the redline at +7k rpm when everything is up to temperature it'll shift as fast as your hands and feet can move with just enough resistance so you know you're flogging it but not so much it's resisting your advances.

Good luck, and an important step along life is figuring out that when it comes to many things, your buddies opinions and the opinions of internet strangers aren't terribly important, you only need to make one person happy.

Edit: Weird thing about the car, I don't think it'll apply in many other cars but I almost always double clutch when I downshift around town, it eliminates the resistance in the lever as I go to 3 or 2. But when I'm at the track hard on the brakes at 5k rpm the heel-toe blip allows it to slide right in. Every car has a different rhythm needed to operate it harmoniously and that rhythm changes whether your cruising or thrashing or somewhere in the middle.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
You can't really make the gearbox do what it doesn't want to do on this car, it has a narrow goldilocks zone where if you do it right it's fuckin' buttery smooth and it is not like most mass produced gearboxes that are designed for everyone from the teenager to the cheap pencil pusher to your granny. I don't think I was nailing it consistently until I was 30k miles and two years into owning the car.

imo if you're driving around town, sub 4k rpm you simply can't rush the gearbox, at all. If you're banging shifts off the redline at +7k rpm when everything is up to temperature it'll shift as fast as your hands and feet can move with just enough resistance so you know you're flogging it but not so much it's resisting your advances.

Good luck, and an important step along life is figuring out that when it comes to many things, your buddies opinions and the opinions of internet strangers aren't terribly important, you only need to make one person happy.

Of course. I've driven much faster cars, but I like this one more than the Mustangs and such. Too heavy, though the EcoBoost one is kinda nice.

The FR-S seemed fine low-down and towards the mid-range, but it didn't really have much to say past 5k RPM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
BD7

Drives: GT86
3rd gear is nice enough.
2nd is the bad one.
BD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BD7 For This Useful Post:
Chrisgalactic (02-24-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
...............The FR-S seemed fine low-down and towards the mid-range, but it didn't really have much to say past 5k RPM.
hmmmm......most people report just the opposite ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
FatFree (02-21-2016), Muaddib (02-21-2016), strat61caster (02-21-2016), Summerwolf (02-22-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
Of course. I've driven much faster cars, but I like this one more than the Mustangs and such. Too heavy, though the EcoBoost one is kinda nice.

The FR-S seemed fine low-down and towards the mid-range, but it didn't really have much to say past 5k RPM.
How short was the test drive? Maybe you didn't drive it enough to get the variable valve timing activated, it's definitely holding back power until it's warmed up and AVCS gets a chance to activate (read yesterday that it takes coming to a complete stop for it to kick in after warming up). While over 5k isn't going to be a big deal to people used to big displacement or FI motors like you seem to be, and under 5k is certainly serviceable, there is a good bit more shove up top than down low.

strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Its a great car to drive, if you like celicas then you'll like this even more, with the manual gear you need to let the car warm up a bit, until it does you just need to rev it a bit in between changing gears ( if you're on first and going to second rev when you're in neutral and same if you're downshifting ) Once the gear oil is warm enough its as smooth as silk

This car makes driving from A to B a much more interesting experience, and yeah the gear takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
jg7

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
My transmission goes into 3rd gear super slick, 2nd is a bit notchy. This car is all about handling – it’s very good. It may not be the fastest in a straight line, but a good driver that can make the most out the handling can often times out run someone who can only push the gas petal down.

Of course, I’m only talking sanctioned events like autox….
jg7 is offline   Reply With Quote