follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #183
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So while my car was out of commission I was driving my dad's Boxster and got used to a lighter clutch. When I got my car back on the road I hated the heavy clutch with the spring delete so I put mine back on last night. I thought I would share my method of doing it because it's kind of a pain.

I used hose clamp pliers to compress the spring and then it when right in place. If you don't have hose clamp pliers get some (around $40 on Amazon)! You will thank me anytime you have to mess with a hose clamp and as an added bonus you can use them to reinstall your helper spring.

I've had a few of these. The ratchet on the first one wore out so I had to hold it by hand. The second one I ordered claimed to have a better ratchet and so far it's held up well. I was kind of surprised the ratchet was able to hold that helper spring because it's fairly heavy. Anyways, here is the one I have currently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by ermax; 07-12-2018 at 04:43 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #184
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a similar experience - when I went on vacation for a couple of weeks, I came back to drive my own car again and didn't like the weight of the clutch without the spring.

However you can just squeeze the spring in a bench vice, and hold it closed with some beefy zip ties, and cut them off when it's installed - this is the way recommended in the instructions for the MTEC spring.
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonboy99 For This Useful Post:
ermax (07-12-2018), trvth (07-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #185
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Only been driving a standard for a little over 2 years now and although I knew I shouldn't be a pro at it yet, it felt weird having jerky shifts all the time. I'm usually a pretty fast learner but man, I couldn't figure out this car for shit.

Until I removed the spring this morning. Man, it's crazy how much easier it is now. Probably one of the best "mods" out there for the twins.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #186
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsebuco View Post
Only been driving a standard for a little over 2 years now and although I knew I shouldn't be a pro at it yet, it felt weird having jerky shifts all the time. I'm usually a pretty fast learner but man, I couldn't figure out this car for shit.

Until I removed the spring this morning. Man, it's crazy how much easier it is now. Probably one of the best "mods" out there for the twins.

I had a very similar experience with this mod. I learned to ride a motorcycle before I learned to drive, I learned to drive a car in a manual Saturn Ion Coupe, and drove a manual Audi A4 for ~2 years. So, I thought I had a pretty decent handle on driving a manual. When I bought my FR-S I hadn't driven a manual car for about 2 years. I was a little jerky at first and just chalked it up to rustiness. But even after weeks of driving getting used to this car, I still had problems with jerky shifts, especially the 1-2 shift. Always made me feel like an amateur. After I removed the clutch spring, the car feels so much smoother. It's seriously a night and day difference.

Anyone even considering this mod should just do it. It takes like 15-20 minutes to do, you dont need any special tools, just stuff everyone has around the house, and its pretty easily reversible.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #187
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
and its pretty easily reversible.

Lol false. I agree with everything else though.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #188
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Lol false.
I mean, compressing the spring in a vice and putting zip ties on it isn't exactly hard to do. If you tried to re-install the spring without compressing it first, I feel like it would be basically impossible lol.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #189
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Garage
Quote:
I mean, compressing the spring in a vice and putting zip ties on it isn't exactly hard to do. If you tried to re-install the spring without compressing it first, I feel like it would be basically impossible lol.

That's exactly when we did and still had issues.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #190
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
That's exactly when we did and still had issues.
With the spring compressed, what made it difficult?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #191
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Garage
Quote:
With the spring compressed, what made it difficult?

Keeping the spring centered while trying to compress it. The old vice he had made it difficult though; we gave up after a few tries because we valued our vision too much.

Moot point for me though since I never plan on putting the spring back on my car lol.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #192
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Keeping the spring centered while trying to compress it. The old vice he had made it difficult though; we gave up after a few tries because we valued our vision too much.

Moot point for me though since I never plan on putting the spring back on my car lol.
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I guess if the spring popped out of the vice or something that could be pretty dangerous lol.

And same, I doubt I'll ever reinstall the spring. Maybe if I plan on selling the car I'll put it back in just so its "stock".
Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #193
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Garage
Just saw this thread today.

Looking forward to trying it when I get a few minutes. I've been driving a stick since I started driving 21 years ago (including taking my driver's test in my '86 Celica 5-speed) so I have a bit of experience (not that there's not plenty I could still learn and do better) and usually pretty smooth, but I've often felt a bit jerky in this car.

Especially considering I switch back and forth between it and my 2000 Celica GT-S pretty often, so I haven't quite gotten the muscle memory down on the FR-S.

Hopefully taking out this spring will help.
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #194
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall leonhart View Post
Just saw this thread today.

Looking forward to trying it when I get a few minutes. I've been driving a stick since I started driving 21 years ago (including taking my driver's test in my '86 Celica 5-speed) so I have a bit of experience (not that there's not plenty I could still learn and do better) and usually pretty smooth, but I've often felt a bit jerky in this car.

Especially considering I switch back and forth between it and my 2000 Celica GT-S pretty often, so I haven't quite gotten the muscle memory down on the FR-S.

Hopefully taking out this spring will help.
It helped alot for me from switching between pickups/mid sized slush box to my BRZ which had a feather light clutchfeel compared to those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #195
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
It helped alot for me from switching between pickups/mid sized slush box to my BRZ which had a feather light clutchfeel compared to those.

Slushbox with a clutch? That's a new one!
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #196
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
In an attempt to communicate I was referring to manual trans trucks i called them autos 🤪
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99 View Post
Slushbox with a clutch? That's a new one!
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote