follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #3921
leomkay

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys. I've adjusted my belt pulley to 60Hz when the engine/belts are cold. However, when I measure the tension when it's hot the frequency is a lot higher (tighter).
Is this normal? Or did I not do the bolts properly such that it tightens itself after it's been spinning for a while?
leomkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #3922
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechnut87 View Post
So I have been having a loose belt problem I decided to address. I heard the belt and when I tried to break 90° I did so really and did more of a 135° so I went to adjust it, baked of the lock nut and tried to tighten and it was TIGHT. I thought it was odd and backed it off and the tensioner never let loose. I thought hmm what else holds this in place? I was at a loss and then I realized NOTHING! So what's holding the block in place? The block has a square end and a round end.... Mine was installed backwards! The pulley could never tension the belt because it's backwards! So very very upset �� with PRE for this install miss! Got to call them in the am and get this fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you need to loosen the pulley bolt. I made the same mistake. the farthest pulley to your left needs to be loosened up just a little bit. you don't need to take the whole bolt off, but loosen it enough to be able to adjust the tension. then you can use the long bolt to make it tighter or looser.

basically the bolt you see on the picture to the left, that bolt needs to be loosened just the slightest bit. and you should be able to adjust.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Beechnut87 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 AM   #3923
Beechnut87

Drives: White 2015 Series Blue BRZ SC
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
you need to loosen the pulley bolt. I made the same mistake. the farthest pulley to your left needs to be loosened up just a little bit. you don't need to take the whole bolt off, but loosen it enough to be able to adjust the tension. then you can use the long bolt to make it tighter or looser.

basically the bolt you see on the picture to the left, that bolt needs to be loosened just the slightest bit. and you should be able to adjust.

Yes, the proper way to tension this was brought to my attention, but the tensioner is still backwards and maxed out. Took it in and the guys at PRE owned the mistake and flipped it so I am now running on proper tension

Beechnut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #3924
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomkay View Post
Hi guys. I've adjusted my belt pulley to 60Hz when the engine/belts are cold. However, when I measure the tension when it's hot the frequency is a lot higher (tighter).
Is this normal? Or did I not do the bolts properly such that it tightens itself after it's been spinning for a while?
normal
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #3925
Calbee

Drives: B8 A4
so I finally have the kW kit with the c30 blower on hand.

I have been hearing a lot of mixed comments about what support mods I should have on the getgo when installing this kit.

I plan on daily driving it this year and slowly upgrading parts to track it next year. what are some absolute necessities in terms of support mods I need with the kit? oil cooler? clutch ?

I currently have a catted EL HKS header, T1R overpipe, stock front pipe, and Tomei 80r exhaust

are there some stuff I absolutely need with the install, and some that I can get down the line ?
Calbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #3926
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Extra belt just in case, other than that you should be fine. I would get an oil cooler and catch cans for the track. No idea about clutch recommendations.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #3927
Calbee

Drives: B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtfluffy16 View Post
I have a crawford AOS, and i know i will need a clutch... eventually. but you definitely want an extra belt, and put on a front pipe.
I ha e a t1r front pipe but its a helicoptor with it on which is why I put stock back on. I have the reinforced new belt but will definitely grab a second.

so oil cooler and clutch I can do down the line? Or would I want to do those asap?
iim also breaking out of my budget So I want to prioritize what's a tually the most important and mandatory
Calbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #3928
Rulin
WRX -> BRZ. (TX)

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbee View Post
I ha e a t1r front pipe but its a helicoptor with it on which is why I put stock back on. I have the reinforced new belt but will definitely grab a second.

so oil cooler and clutch I can do down the line? Or would I want to do those asap?
iim also breaking out of my budget So I want to prioritize what's a tually the most important and mandatory
Absolutely you can wait, I have neither and driven it for over 30k miles!

Should be good!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
KW V3
OEM Audio + Reference 400CF
Rulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rulin For This Useful Post:
Calbee (06-14-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #3929
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Garage
Quote:

yup you can wait. you likely wont have an issue just daily driving it.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
Calbee (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #3930
mscamp02

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There's a bunch of references to different belts but I'm not sure if the belt I need is actually the one in the first post or not.

I have the C38 kit with standard pulleys

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by mscamp02; 06-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
mscamp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #3931
Beechnut87

Drives: White 2015 Series Blue BRZ SC
Garage
This is from CJ when I had asked. I have the C38 as well
"There are two options or have been two options for these vehicles.
The first kits received a 100mm Crank Pulley and 75mm Blower Pulley which called for a 1200mm Belt. TP1200-8MGT-20 if I'm not mistaken.
The revised and current kits received a 128mm Crank Pulley and 95mm Blower pulley which calls for a 1280mm Belt. TP1280-8MGT-20

You would just need to reference your existing crank pulley and more specifically the laser etching on the outer face of the pulley to know what you have and what belt you need."

Beechnut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beechnut87 For This Useful Post:
mscamp02 (06-14-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #3932
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
My boyfriend has this kit too his name is on IG jomojon1990 I hope to get this kit myself soon also!
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #3933
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Quote:
so I finally have the kW kit with the c30 blower on hand.

I have been hearing a lot of mixed comments about what support mods I should have on the getgo when installing this kit.

I plan on daily driving it this year and slowly upgrading parts to track it next year. what are some absolute necessities in terms of support mods I need with the kit? oil cooler? clutch ?

I currently have a catted EL HKS header, T1R overpipe, stock front pipe, and Tomei 80r exhaust

are there some stuff I absolutely need with the install, and some that I can get down the line ?
fuel pump, fuel injectors, clutch (eventually) please get yourself an aftermarket header too. That's probably the biggest restriction. Front pipe is questionable and definitely a more free flowing exhaust.

I have the c38 I still have the stock frontpipe but everything else is changed out. I think I blew the cat out after a few track days.. lol. definitely extra belts.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #3934
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
I'm running the C38 on E85 for about 7-8 months now. roughly 12k miles. I've gone through many tuners and ended up with Moto-East, depending on the tuner, I've ran Gram 750cc injectors and they were fine on everyone tune but Bill at Delicious, after 7500 rpm it was just a little lean, he said he likes to use a little more port injector instead of direct injectors. I swapped for 900cc DW injectors until my 1000cc Grams came in and the 900's were enough. Now on the Moto-East tune i don't know if i could get away with 750's, we just always had what was in there, i guess i could check my duty cycle and find out. but the car runs so good now all the way up to the 7750 rev limit that i never messed with any thing else. According to the AEM fail safe I'm hitting 18.9 psi at the limiter (I'm on the 85mm higher boost pulley)

We have just been testing the car until it does pop, then ill have Skunk rods, valve train and other engine components installed, But I've had no issues other then replacing a belt within the first 1k miles because i was running pulleys way to small and was warned before hand that they would cause the belt not to last, the last 11k miles have been trouble free. On Shawn Church Dynapak it put 417 to the hub. it was rich enough to burn the cat out of the front pipe, and Bill did some more adjustments after that dyno session to add quite a bit more power enough that it would spin the 245 toyo poxes 1 in 4th at over 120mph (mines a auto)

I just spent the past weekend on 91 (Moto-East flex fuel kit) and driving back and forth to SoCal and again no issues, 34mpg on the way back. So far I have had nothing but a good experience with my C38 on flex fuel with the higher higher boost pulley. (normal is 95mm, high boost is 90mm, then i asked if they had any other option and they sent me the 85mm pulley)
@fteightysix Quick question about a year late , do you happen to have the part # for that 85 mm pulley as I can't seem to find any. Also with the 85mm pulley installed did you end up using the same belt (1280mm one?) or did you need to do anything special to make it fit?
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote