follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #631
Robertw
Senior Member
 
Robertw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Location: MA
Posts: 150
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red premium manual seems like it's a unicorn spec lol.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robertw For This Useful Post:
fredzy (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #632
gcmak
Member
 
gcmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: GR86
Location: California
Posts: 86
Thanks: 220
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks View Post
Which dealer did you order at? Msrp?
SF Toyota. They do small mark-ups depending on config (they're transparent on their site) and will also show dealer specific discounts - though that's rare these days).
I should be paying MSRP, but until papers are signed and I drive off the lot, I don't like to confirm anything. I have a prior relationship with the dealer and sales - I have no reason to doubt what they've told me and they tend to be one of the quickest/easiest sales process I've experienced across various brands.
gcmak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gcmak For This Useful Post:
jdmwol2ks (03-04-2022), Tcoat (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:29 PM   #633
Robertw
Senior Member
 
Robertw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Location: MA
Posts: 150
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I stand corrected, any manual GR is a unicorn lol. The only cars on lots appear to be auto's, quite a few within a 100 miles. So auto's are actually sticking around on dealer lots, even with todays market conditions, bit of an oops on Toyota's part misjudging customer preferences of early adopters.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robertw For This Useful Post:
fredzy (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:28 PM   #634
mn_ca
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2013 frs, 2005 is300
Location: Winter Wonderland
Posts: 145
Thanks: 286
Thanked 70 Times in 53 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Man, this chip shortage suck. There's a white BRZ at my local Subaru dealership. Asking price: 38k
mn_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #635
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 19,845
Thanks: 38,907
Thanked 25,001 Times in 11,401 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
I stand corrected, any manual GR is a unicorn lol. The only cars on lots appear to be auto's, quite a few within a 100 miles. So auto's are actually sticking around on dealer lots, even with todays market conditions, bit of an oops on Toyota's part misjudging customer preferences of early adopters.
Not sure how you can make the leap from available inventory to a misjudgment on Toyota's part. In my area, if I do a search for inventory, there are only 1 or 2 cars available, with more coming. That includes both MT and AT on the "coming soon" list.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #636
Robertw
Senior Member
 
Robertw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Location: MA
Posts: 150
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not sure how you can make the leap from available inventory to a misjudgment on Toyota's part. In my area, if I do a search for inventory, there are only 1 or 2 cars available, with more coming. That includes both MT and AT on the "coming soon" list.
Dealers had shipments with manuals, they're all gone. the AT's are still around.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #637
fredzy
Mebmer
 
fredzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Location: PA
Posts: 628
Thanks: 398
Thanked 461 Times in 286 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
Dealers had shipments with manuals, they're all gone. the AT's are still around.
I figured the same thing, though there were very few in-stock cars I knew of at all. I just knew the few I found were auto.

The more telling thing was there are hardly any MT cars in the pipeline at all in the 3 or 4 regions near me - reserved or not. Might just be a regional thing but it's a big region.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #638
PorscheUnlimited16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Drives: 2016 Porsche Gt4
Location: Seattle
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Made a deposit early February. Buying at Msrp.
Finally got my allocation and Vin. Car is already built since Feb 24.
Vessel Departure :3/10
Vessel Arrival 3/25

So soonest I think I will see it is in April at the mercy of the Truck delivery guy.
PorscheUnlimited16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #639
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
Dealers had shipments with manuals, they're all gone. the AT's are still around.
Some of the ATs are still around. They said from the start that they would be making more ATs than MTs. It is very possible if not probable that they have sold more ATs than MTs to date but the large difference in number makes it appear that the ATs are "sitting around".
Without know the exact number of each it is not possible to state that the ATs are not selling.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #640
CincyJohn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Location: Cincinnati, OHIO
Posts: 492
Thanks: 143
Thanked 315 Times in 199 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Some of the ATs are still around. They said from the start that they would be making more ATs than MTs. It is very possible if not probable that they have sold more ATs than MTs to date but the large difference in number makes it appear that the ATs are "sitting around".
Without know the exact number of each it is not possible to state that the ATs are not selling.
I understand that it is probably my thinking inside this enthusiast bubble, but it does seem to me that at least Toyota didn't correctly allocate AT vs. MT demand (at least initially) as well as interest in the more exotic colors. I admit my evidence is strictly anecdotal - it just seems to me that people would drive practically anywhere across the country (and probably pay a premium) to get a Premium Neptune/bRed 6MT. Conversely, the only two cars I have actually seen on lots are Base AT Grays.

What's funny to me is that if you are Toyota and your goal isn't to make a ton of profit on this car but instead to use it as a brand builder, wouldn't a whole lot more Premium smurf blue/flaming red manuals running around on the road (many of which would likely be made to be even more eye catching by their owners) do that a lot better than a bunch of Pavement Gray (named because it literally blends in with the pavement) ATs?
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #641
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 19,845
Thanks: 38,907
Thanked 25,001 Times in 11,401 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
What's funny to me is that if you are Toyota and your goal isn't to make a ton of profit on this car but instead to use it as a brand builder, wouldn't a whole lot more Premium smurf blue/flaming red manuals running around on the road (many of which would likely be made to be even more eye catching by their owners) do that a lot better than a bunch of Pavement Gray (named because it literally blends in with the pavement) ATs?
More likely the issue is the Pavement color is the issue than the transmission. If what is left is that color, then that is likely to be the determining factor.

Most (non-enthusiast) buyers are going to prioritize color over transmission type.
__________________
Olivia 05/03/2012 - 01/06/2024. 231,146 glorious miles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #642
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I understand that it is probably my thinking inside this enthusiast bubble, but it does seem to me that at least Toyota didn't correctly allocate AT vs. MT demand (at least initially) as well as interest in the more exotic colors. I admit my evidence is strictly anecdotal - it just seems to me that people would drive practically anywhere across the country (and probably pay a premium) to get a Premium Neptune/bRed 6MT. Conversely, the only two cars I have actually seen on lots are Base AT Grays.

What's funny to me is that if you are Toyota and your goal isn't to make a ton of profit on this car but instead to use it as a brand builder, wouldn't a whole lot more Premium smurf blue/flaming red manuals running around on the road (many of which would likely be made to be even more eye catching by their owners) do that a lot better than a bunch of Pavement Gray (named because it literally blends in with the pavement) ATs?
No doubt that they know exactly what they are doing with their mix. They have all sorts of previous sales numbers that we are never going to privy to.
By throwing colour into the ring it skews things even more. There are probably a hundred or more pavement grey (god I hate that colour name for the reason you stated) cars made in both AT and MT for every red one. The reds were never a huge percentage of the cars so there would be no real reason to change now. So if there is a much larger number of them then it just stands to reason that those are what are available on the lots.
Did this sudden increase in demand for red take them by surprise? Well, maybe but I doubt that they care much. When looking a a production run of a few thousand cars that they know will all sell even if they were all base white ones then they really don't need to focus too much on trim and colours. We tend to just overthink and second guess everything they do based on personal preferences and the tiny bit of data we actually have.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #643
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
More likely the issue is the Pavement color is the issue than the transmission. If what is left is that color, then that is likely to be the determining factor.

Most (non-enthusiast) buyers are going to prioritize color over transmission type.
Yep! People on a car forum tend to ignore or not realize that for every self proclaimed "enthusiasts" that buys a certain car (these included) there are probably a dozen or more "normal" buyers that just like the looks and can use a 2 door coupe. They are the majority of buyers not the "OH MY GOD IT IS A RACE CAR AND I AM GOING TO TRACK IT EVERY SINGLE DAY" crowd that the forum represents.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #644
Robertw
Senior Member
 
Robertw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Location: MA
Posts: 150
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep! People on a car forum tend to ignore or not realize that for every self proclaimed "enthusiasts" that buys a certain car (these included) there are probably a dozen or more "normal" buyers that just like the looks and can use a 2 door coupe. They are the majority of buyers not the "OH MY GOD IT IS A RACE CAR AND I AM GOING TO TRACK IT EVERY SINGLE DAY" crowd that the forum represents.
I was simply making the point that the initial demand appears to be from enthusiasts who may prefer a MT over AT. The dealership I have an order with received 6 cars, 3 MT, 3 AT, the MT were all claimed, and the AT's sat for about 2 weeks before selling. The only cars available still on dealer lots in a 200 mile range are AT's, in todays market conditions. I was not making the argument that MT's sell more than AT's in total sales.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robertw For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2022), Tcoat (03-04-2022)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chat omfg5041 Site Announcements / Questions / Issues 2 11-01-2014 09:11 AM
we should have a chat jdmblood Site Announcements / Questions / Issues 10 08-01-2014 12:09 PM
January Sale! 7% off all orders over $150. Orders over $299 get free shipping too! Infamous Performance Announcements, Contests, Giveaways 20 01-31-2014 01:17 PM
Official WA CHAT Thread! Spring=girls in skimpy clothes, meets and new mods*chat* Dsea5 Northwest 33 04-18-2013 12:05 PM
chat bakerr6 Site Announcements / Questions / Issues 0 12-26-2012 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.