follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #1
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 Firestorm build closed deck, turbo, FBM, Trackspec

So I purchased my car in 2015 with 15miles and was super excited. This is a car I purchased at the same time purchased my wife’s Rav 4 and the dealer said can give me a great deal if purchased both. So I was a sucker and I did. I sold my previous build couple of months prior the purchase which was a Tiburon that was supercharged and really enjoyed car. Made about 325-350 and was a lot of fun.

Not a complete stranger to builds, but this is one that wanted more for track purpose. Previous builds was just to have a fun fast car. But for this car my original goal was to keep as reliable as possible as a track car. But the mod bug bite me and decided to go a little bigger then planned.

Within the next 50miles I decided to get my first mod done. My first mod was Perrin 3” CBE and Tomei EL header and Perrin intake filter. Was like that for about 3k mikes and decided to start doing some exterior stuff. First thing I did was get the Cleib lip, canards and rear diffuser. After that I attended an autocross event and wanted to do more! I also do track events since was seeing these cars more and more at events. I was able to meet a guy that was making coilovers and was looking for some beta testers and was lucky enough to get them and really enjoy them. Did not go into full production because the investor backed out, but had zero issues with two AutoX and two track days.

Shortly after my second autocross event a guy at event said was building a new turbo kit and asked if I was interested. So I said yes, since all I had to pay was for turbo and he would make the manifold and hot parts. After 4 months the guy said not going to make kit and just send me a used turbo (I was ripped off) and I was upset. I found a local shop that can finish the build and he built all hot parts, intercooler and pipes and made my turbo kit. On that kit that was built I made 285 on 93 and 312 on e85. The tuner and when I had car dyno said was very conservative tune. But my goal is reliability as much as possible and enjoy car.

Now after 15 months with current build I decided to go a little bigger. Now the idea for this build is more function. But let me stop talking and go straight into build info. Below is what is current stuff.

Engine
Closed deck Outfront Motorsport stock Comp. 12.5 CP pistons
(With new block I got BN spark plugs, 15+coils, tensioners, timing chains, head gaskets)
GSC valves and springs
Killer B oil pick up tube
Greddy oil baffle
Fluidamper dampener
DW fuel pump - WILL BE CHANGING TO Fulblown pump
ID 1000cc injectors
Fullblown oil cooler 19 row
Radium Dual catch cans
Perrin engine mounts
Perrin 3” CBE
Perrin OP
Turbo kit W/Vband 5858 journal turbo- WILL BE GOING G25-550 soon
PTP turbo lava blanket
Delicious EBC
Flex fuel kit
Full blown radiator with shroud and fans
Full blown hoses
Koyo radiator feed neck
Koyo radiator cap
Fullblown thermostat

Original tune before build engine was HRI. I was not fully satisfied with it and going to a local tuner that is very well known and had a lot of experience with FA and other boxer engines. I am either going with Graham or JR for those that know them locally in Chicago. It is whoever can squeeze me in first once the rest on engine put together.

Drivetrain
South end stage 3 daily-( took a dump literally when planned the build and just order an ACT clutch. SBC won’t honor no warranty or anything. Considering I only had 5-7k miles)
ACT clutch NOW
DSS CF driveshaft
17+ TOB
Bigger differential cover (Cusco With a defection cover)
Whiteline differential bushing
Whiteline positive traction bushing
Verus carbon synchros

Suspension & brakes
Coilovers
Cusco LCA
Cusco rear power brace
ATS front brakes
Evo X rear
STI bigger rotors

Exterior
Cleib lip
Cleib canards
Cleib diffuser
Trackspec hood louvers
Verus duckbil
57cr gramlights 18x9.5

Soon to come

G25-550 turbo
PPG gears or CD009
JDL duel resonated 2.5 to 3” FP
Cusco front power brace
Radium brake master brace
Marsh composite front air splitter
Voltex type 1s or 2
Apex wheels 17x9
RS4 tires
Attached Images

Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
Evil Rocky

More pics
Attached Images

Last edited by Evil Rocky; 06-27-2020 at 06:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Evil Rocky For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
Evil Rocky

Pics are not in any specified order lol just wanted to share. I will be posting more as the build continues and also when first start up and also get it tuned.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Your build is sick. What wing is that on the car? Your description says Verus duckbill, but it looks more like a Sard wing.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
Evil Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Your build is sick. What wing is that on the car? Your description says Verus duckbill, but it looks more like a Sard wing.
Thanks man! Had Sard style, but ended up selling since either going voltex type 1s/type 2 or verus high efficiency
DarkPira7e (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 01:14 AM   #6
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Really nice build, but if you don't mind me asking, at the price point of the outfront block and turbo kit, wouldn't it be better to go with an LS or 2JZ swap? Either one of those would be more reliable than a built FA20.

While the swap would still cost more, at this point may as well just stretch a bit more and have a more reliable car?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Evil Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Really nice build, but if you don't mind me asking, at the price point of the outfront block and turbo kit, wouldn't it be better to go with an LS or 2JZ swap? Either one of those would be more reliable than a built FA20.

While the swap would still cost more, at this point may as well just stretch a bit more and have a more reliable car?
Was going K24 and even have the engine and transmission still, but after talking to a few shops in area decided to just keep the car in it’s original form as much we can. Definitely over my budget for sure on the build.
DarkPira7e (06-27-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
Evil Rocky

Some new items came in today. My Trackspec louvre and Verus cam sensor cover.
Attached Images