follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #127
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Sell the charger and go back to NA. If you can't do the engine swap it's a no brained. NA+e85 is still a great combo in this car

Ops should have read the whole thread. What do you think the cost of the kswap will be?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
It depends on if I go turbo now or stay NA for now. Still figuring that out.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #128
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It depends on if I go turbo now or stay NA for now. Still figuring that out.
Looking forward to your end results

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #129
Irace86.2.0

I got a hoist and engine stand. I pulled the transmission and driveshaft today. I’ll be pulling out the engine tomorrow and mounting it. I might pull it apart too if I have time. I’m doing this all from a one car garage that is pretty packed, so it is slow going.

I believe I will have a few days next week to spruce up the parts that I will be selling, but I don’t anticipate anything going on the market until mid May.
Attached Images

BrahmaBull1990 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:55 AM   #130
Irace86.2.0

Ok, what came first? The chicken or the egg? Here are some more pics...

Second cylinder threw the rod, and the roller rockers seem to be missing. Digging further I found the valves bent open. Then I found the number 2 piston rings peeking from the top? Could this have been the grinding sound I heard? I thought it was a spinnibg bearing, but maybe this was it. As you guys can see, the piston is destroyed from the bottom. I still need to pull apart the block, but here is what could have happened:

—My car wasn’t apart of the spring recall, but say something happened and the rockers were thrown, I feel like the spring would have closed the valves, and the rocker would ping-pong around the head, but it wouldn’t cause a problem.

—I drive aggressive, but the car wasn’t being driven too aggressive with the gas, more with the cornering. It had only been running for five to ten minutes from my garage that was around 55-65 degrees is a best guess, as I was heading to work. I wasn’t driving it long enough for ring expansion to happen from heat. Maybe it is possible there was some type of detonation event that cause the ring to overheat and pop out, which is why I heard a pop/bang and then grinding. Then the piston got stuck and the rod ripped itself from the piston, which caused it to spin freely, ripping through the motor and breaking.

—The other possibility is the rod snapped, and when the piston came down, it was struck by the rod, which broke the piston and caused it to impact the valves and twist in the sleeve, causing the rings to grind before the rod sent itself through the block.

Maybe the block will reveal more.
Attached Images

bcj (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 02:16 AM   #131
Irace86.2.0

A few more notes, the heads seem good enough. There was one valve guide that broke, but I think that is replaceable. I saved the heads in case anyone wants a cheap head as part of a rebuild. The oil pan is actually fine. It just needs cleaning, but it could be useful for someone needing an oil return welded on. I have the timing chain and guides intact. Everything else was tossed in the recycling because there was no chance of salvaging it because the oil was contaminated with shavings, so surfaces were scratched. The timing chain cover has the oil pump, so I tossed that too.

I get that the glue is probably better than a paper gasket, but screw that stuff.classically, it was partially obstructing holes and sticking near or on moving parts.

I also have the alternator, ac compressor, pulleys, intake manifold, engine mounts, etc, so if you are interested in any parts then let me know. I already was digging in the dumpster for something I tossed that was broke, but someone wanted, so be quick because anything that doesn’t sell in a month is getting recycled. I already tossed the engine parts I won’t sell. I have like five to ten pounds in bolts lol It is always good to have spares. I’ll also be selling an engine hoist, leveler and stand once the swap is over, so keep that in mind.

Another note: I have had the Exedy Stage 1 clutch for three years, and it has been abused well. The majority of the time was with the 85mm pulley at 12 psi, and the last 5-10k miles was with the 75mm pulley. I expected it to look worse, but it looks ok. I believe the K24 kit will have a hydraulic TOB, so I won’t need the Verus forged clutch fork or the billet pivot, so that will be going on the market. The clutch kit is usable with the new aluminum flywheel/adapter from Kpower.

Should I go NA or just go turbo right away to save overall? I don’t know.
Attached Images

ML (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 05:00 AM   #132
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
my head looked good too but in the end it needed a rectification
Also bent valves, and that bent the intake cam and put stress to the cam gear and the chains and chains retainers... and to other things i do not remember now

I snapped a rod in cylinder #1 though, not saying it s the same for you, just that it needs a very carefull look to evaluate what is still good
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #133
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Ok, what came first? The chicken or the egg? Here are some more pics...

Second cylinder threw the rod, and the roller rockers seem to be missing. Digging further I found the valves bent open. Then I found the number 2 piston rings peeking from the top? Could this have been the grinding sound I heard? I thought it was a spinnibg bearing, but maybe this was it. As you guys can see, the piston is destroyed from the bottom. I still need to pull apart the block, but here is what could have happened:

—My car wasn’t apart of the spring recall, but say something happened and the rockers were thrown, I feel like the spring would have closed the valves, and the rocker would ping-pong around the head, but it wouldn’t cause a problem.

—I drive aggressive, but the car wasn’t being driven too aggressive with the gas, more with the cornering. It had only been running for five to ten minutes from my garage that was around 55-65 degrees is a best guess, as I was heading to work. I wasn’t driving it long enough for ring expansion to happen from heat. Maybe it is possible there was some type of detonation event that cause the ring to overheat and pop out, which is why I heard a pop/bang and then grinding. Then the piston got stuck and the rod ripped itself from the piston, which caused it to spin freely, ripping through the motor and breaking.

—The other possibility is the rod snapped, and when the piston came down, it was struck by the rod, which broke the piston and caused it to impact the valves and twist in the sleeve, causing the rings to grind before the rod sent itself through the block.

Maybe the block will reveal more.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? The rocker failure happens from oiling issues or over revs. Id question the oiling since you have gasket maker on the camshaft but having a piston fly into the valves when you broke a rod would also do it. Which reminds me i need to buy my oil pressure gauge for my new engine
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #134
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
my head looked good too but in the end it needed a rectification
Also bent valves, and that bent the intake cam and put stress to the cam gear and the chains and chains retainers... and to other things i do not remember now

I snapped a rod in cylinder #1 though, not saying it s the same for you, just that it needs a very carefull look to evaluate what is still good
I bought they will sell, and I’ll probably sell them for so cheap, it isn’t about making me money, but helping someone who might want to build some heads. I think the valve guides can be replaced, and the surfaces don’t look scored, so if someone wants to port n polish or practice doing it themselves then these might be good.

The cam retainer and caps were all tossed. The only other piece of the heads that I still have is the valve covers.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #135
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? The rocker failure happens from oiling issues or over revs. Id question the oiling since you have gasket maker on the camshaft but having a piston fly into the valves when you broke a rod would also do it. Which reminds me i need to buy my oil pressure gauge for my new engine
I have an oil pressure gauge. Oil was changed within 100 miles with AMSOIL signature with a new oil filter. Oil pressure was high like it always is in the morning. It wasn’t valve float either because the rpms never exceeded redline, nor were they sustained at high rpms at all. The rockers didn’t have much damage or wear, suggesting they weren’t bouncing around in the head much, and they weren’t in a position to hold the valve open. While it is possible they caused the problem, I don’t believe they were the cause of anything, but a consequence of a piston that was free moving.

When the piston hit the valve and bent them, the spring was unable to retract the valve, so as the cam circled to a low point, the rockers became loose and fell free. That is what is most likely considering the other damage.

If the rocker came free and got stuck in a way that kept the valve open then the head of the piston would have been peppered with impacts instead of just a singled impact, and the valve would probably have been more beat up too, and most like, the valve end would have snapped off and ricocheted around the cylinder. Rod failure of this natured would not be as likely if the rocker was the chief problem IMO.
bcj (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #136
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If it was a rod failure your other rods are likely tweaked / slightly bent. I lost #3 at top of 5th gear, basically an instant rod & piston delete kit.

Post pictures of your other rods when you get them out.
Irace86.2.0 (05-04-2021), zberz (05-15-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #137
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
If it was a rod failure your other rods are likely tweaked / slightly bent. I lost #3 at top of 5th gear, basically an instant rod & piston delete kit.

Post pictures of your other rods when you get them out.
I’ll let you guys know when I get to it this weekend.
Dadhawk (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #138
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for sharing the pictures? Thought about selling it as a rolling chassis and move on to another platform?

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #139
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures? Thought about selling it as a rolling chassis and move on to another platform?

I thought about it, but there are many reasons why that would be a bad idea for me. One, I need a car, and my interests are limited. I like the gen 1 86 but I would be interested in the gen 2 motor. The other car is a used 911 or Cayman, but I’m not ready for something older or more expensive. I’d look at used Lotuses, but there are practically none, so they are overpriced. I’d take a used Jannarelly, but they don’t exist. A used Miata RF would be a strong contender, but a new car will just lead me down the mod route even more. The second reason is this car is developed enough that once the engine is installed, I’ll be content enough to get me through nursing school without thinking about the mods. Third, I’ve pit so much into the car that I’ll take too much of a loss on the sale. Fourth, the car gets used, so it isn’t pristine enough, which means most would rather buy something cleaner than pay for a used car with tasteful mods. Fifth, the car is paid off, so I would rather not have to sell and then buy and then mod and then be paying more in the long run. Finally, I have some attachment to this car. It is my car that has been really good to me, so I’m not ready to break up.
Code Monkey (05-05-2021), jflogerzi (05-04-2021), PulsarBeeerz (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #140
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Love this thread! Keep it coming!
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (05-04-2021)