follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
nwgabrz

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sony XAV-AX8000

Anyone running this?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax8000

It's a single DIN unit.

Wondering how it looks mounted on our cars, and if it covers the AC vents, and how much of a gap there is between the back of the headunit and the center console.
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
Anyone running this?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax8000

It's a single DIN unit.

Wondering how it looks mounted on our cars, and if it covers the AC vents, and how much of a gap there is between the back of the headunit and the center console.

Seeing how it has a three-way adjustable mount which includes telescoping in and out, adjusting up and down and tilting forward and backward, it just might work.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
nwgabrz (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
nwgabrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Seeing how it has a three-way adjustable mount which includes telescoping in and out, adjusting up and down and tilting forward and backward, it just might work.
It should come with everything needed to install, right? No need to buy a harness or adapter?
Old 04-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
It should come with everything needed to install, right? No need to buy a harness or adapter?
Now don't get ahead of yourself.

Yes, the deck will come with most of the wiring harnesses to install it into a vehicle, but Sony doesn't know what make or model of vehicle that you will be installing it into so you will need a dash kit, Metra and Scosche both sell one, and a wiring adapter harness to adapt the Sony harness to the Toyota/Subaru harness.

However, Crutchfield is very good at matching their available installation materials, such as harness adapters and dash kits to our vehicles, of which you will need both to fit a single DIN unit into one of the twins. I know, I've got two single DIN units installed into my dash and had to further customize the kit after I got it to make it work.

Name:  IMG_20210402_122450_01.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  442.8 KB
Old 04-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Based on the above picture, a flip-up is going to block the air vents. Single-DIN kits mount the radio on top and a storage pocket below.

I suppose you could try flipping the kit, but I don't know if that's possible in our cars due to the shape and mounting points of it.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
nwgabrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Based on the above picture, a flip-up is going to block the air vents. Single-DIN kits mount the radio on top and a storage pocket below.

I suppose you could try flipping the kit, but I don't know if that's possible in our cars due to the shape and mounting points of it.
Hm.. Based on the photos of the headunit and the fact that it can articulate up and down, even if we were to use a single DIN adapter such as this Scosche one, I'm thinking we can push the headunit screen down so it doesn't cover the vents. I would have to do measurements to see what precisely it would cover up (air vents, clock, etc.), but just looking at it it seems like it could work...

Old 04-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
nwgabrz

Quote:
Now don't get ahead of yourself.

Yes, the deck will come with most of the wiring harnesses to install it into a vehicle, but Sony doesn't know what make or model of vehicle that you will be installing it into so you will need a dash kit, Metra and Scosche both sell one, and a wiring adapter harness to adapt the Sony harness to the Toyota/Subaru harness.

However, Crutchfield is very good at matching their available installation materials, such as harness adapters and dash kits to our vehicles, of which you will need both to fit a single DIN unit into one of the twins. I know, I've got two single DIN units installed into my dash and had to further customize the kit after I got it to make it work.

Attachment 199764
Thanks, that is helpful. I think I will be able to use the Scosche single DIN adapter you mentioned. All I need now is to find the appropriate wiring harness for the Sony to BRZ, I believe.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Thanks, that is helpful. I think I will be able to use the Scosche single DIN adapter you mentioned. All I need now is to find the appropriate wiring harness for the Sony to BRZ, I believe.
What year is your BRZ?

I’m not at home at the moment, otherwise I would check that Metra wire harness part number for you, but my 2015 FR-S takes the standard Toyota dual harness configuration, along with the antenna adapter, but I believe there were some minor differences in the blue and blue/white amplifier and power antenna pin configurations in some years between the Subarus and the Toyota/Scions.

My aftermarket decks were simple in that I did not need to integrate any navigation antenna, steering wheel controls, USB ports, camera inputs, back-up or brake light inputs, but with the features that the Sony model unit has that you’re wanting to install, you’re going to have to deal with most of that. We’ll give @soundman98 a shout out and see what he has to say concerning those other inputs. Hopefully he’ll chime in.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #9
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post

He’s looking at one of those “floating screen” head units, not one of the flip out screen units.

There are also remote-mount head units out now that Pioneer makes to allow you to install the screen in a different spot other than in the dash, or even to remote mount the base unit to someplace else other than in the dash.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
nwgabrz

Quote:
What year is your BRZ?
I have a 2013 BRZ with the stock head unit. I bought a camera harness from http://ae64.com to connect an aftermarket rear camera. Otherwise, everything else radio/sound-related is stock. Stock speakers, stock head unit.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
I have a 2013 BRZ with the stock head unit. I bought a camera harness from http://ae64.com to connect an aftermarket rear camera. Otherwise, everything else radio/sound-related is stock. Stock speakers, stock head unit.

That link you posted looks like it has some good information.

If you find that your door speakers don't work afterwards or you have poor AM/FM signal, I made a write-up that addresses that back when I first joined. It's a bit droning being so long and the fact that the pictures are all at the bottom of the page but I tried to add some humor in there liven it up. Maybe one day I'll edit it so it's a bit easier to read, but there's some good information in there in case you need it.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141915