follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 42 51.22%
Moderna 21 25.61%
Johnson & Johnson 5 6.10%
AstraZeneca 4 4.88%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 1.22%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 9 10.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #1317
JD001
Senior Member
 
JD001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 5,114
Thanks: 6,282
Thanked 5,177 Times in 2,916 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I can accept that a few people may indeed have an underlying condition making it hard to breathe with a mask. My grandfather, for example... WWII vet, went through gas chamber training where you had no mask... And smoked for many years. He ended up with emphysema. Playing harmonica extended his life because it exercised his lungs. On supplemental oxygen at the end.


I also understand the anxiety that comes with masking for the first time. The change in how it feels to breathe. And the impact anxiety has on your body. I learned to evaluate whether I was actually having difficulty or not by nearly drowning... discovering I had enough still and oh do this and I'll surface... Ahh, sweet sweet air!


So most "I can't breathe" are probably anxiety, which is often culturally problematic... Or just some whiny arse.



C

I used to wear a respo bandit mask when out and about on my MTB! That was yucky, exercising and trying to get great gulps of air wasn't too much fun but wearing a lightweight mask out shopping is no great shakes, put it on when entering a shop and take it off when leaving the shop.. that's very easy and not too stressing..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #1318
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 6,391
Thanks: 17,584
Thanked 7,727 Times in 3,999 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
That's funny. I don't recall anybody telling somebody else to be afraid. It turns out, adults can discuss serious topics without getting emotional. Happens all the time. Nobody wants you to be afraid, we just want you to be smart.

I suppose if you keep bringing up the concept of fear, there might be something you are afraid of? What would that be?

Last edited by Spuds; 04-04-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (04-04-2021), Capt Spaulding (04-04-2021), Kaotic Lazagna (04-04-2021), spike021 (04-04-2021), Ultramaroon (04-04-2021), wbradley (04-04-2021), weederr33 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #1319
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,644
Thanks: 944
Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,296 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I used to wear a respo bandit mask when out and about on my MTB! That was yucky, exercising and trying to get great gulps of air wasn't too much fun but wearing a lightweight mask out shopping is no great shakes, put it on when entering a shop and take it off when leaving the shop.. that's very easy and not too stressing..

Yeah, I wear one in the woodshop all the time. And cleaning the cat box when we had cats (ammonia cartridges are amazing). And cleaning the bathrooms, those cleaning sprays are nasty. I wish I had an everyday mask I could wear without glasses fogging like I can all those. They don't filter exhales though. Also really bulky and kinda scary on the street...
__________________
Second chance build... or whatever it is.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #1320
weederr33
Airborne at your service
 
weederr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 4,635
Thanks: 3,319
Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,930 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I can accept that a few people may indeed have an underlying condition making it hard to breathe with a mask. My grandfather, for example... WWII vet, went through gas chamber training where you had no mask... And smoked for many years. He ended up with emphysema. Playing harmonica extended his life because it exercised his lungs. On supplemental oxygen at the end.


I also understand the anxiety that comes with masking for the first time. The change in how it feels to breathe. And the impact anxiety has on your body. I learned to evaluate whether I was actually having difficulty or not by nearly drowning... discovering I had enough still and oh do this and I'll surface... Ahh, sweet sweet air!


So most "I can't breathe" are probably anxiety, which is often culturally problematic... Or just some whiny arse.



C
I remember when we first had to wear the masks, the sheer amount of anxiety it gave me. Apparently I had some repressed issues from the gas chamber in Basic training where my mask malfunctioned and I suffocated while CS gas was leaking in. Talk about a panic attack. But after learning to cope and breathe controlled, I got over after a few weeks. We are a year into this, at this point I think it's, as you said, "just some whiny arse."

But I could be a complete hypocrite for saying that.
__________________
Series.Yellowbird - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122135

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
cjd (04-04-2021), wbradley (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #1321
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 6,391
Thanks: 17,584
Thanked 7,727 Times in 3,999 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Is this article just click-bait? Makes it seem like the vaccine isn't as perfectly safe as we might think.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...r-how-bad.html

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That could be anything with various results. Maybe it was not safe for humans (which would be REALLY unlikely), maybe it wouldn't have been effective, maybe it was just slightly wrong and they got rid of it because it wasn't the exact formula that was approved (most likely). The important thing is their QC caught it at the appropriate time, which means you know that the vaccines that were sent out are verified to some level of quality.

The number of doses is irrelevant, these are made in big batches according to the article, so they just chucked the batch. Not a whole lot they can do to "fix" the batch like they can for physical equipment.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (04-04-2021), spike021 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #1322
Kaotic Lazagna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Whiteout FR-S Monogram
Location: Lathrop, CA
Posts: 3,508
Thanks: 1,943
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,097 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I can accept that a few people may indeed have an underlying condition making it hard to breathe with a mask. My grandfather, for example... WWII vet, went through gas chamber training where you had no mask... And smoked for many years. He ended up with emphysema. Playing harmonica extended his life because it exercised his lungs. On supplemental oxygen at the end.


I also understand the anxiety that comes with masking for the first time. The change in how it feels to breathe. And the impact anxiety has on your body. I learned to evaluate whether I was actually having difficulty or not by nearly drowning... discovering I had enough still and oh do this and I'll surface... Ahh, sweet sweet air!


So most "I can't breathe" are probably anxiety, which is often culturally problematic... Or just some whiny arse.



C
My mother probably fits under the underlying issues group; but she still wears her masks if she must go out in public/interact with people (that includes neighbors and non-household family).

From the attitudes of the people I know personally who either are anti-maskers, or refuse to wear their masks correctly/over their noses, I'm going to say the majority are the latter of your last sentence.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
cjd (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #1323
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,336
Thanks: 10,047
Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,224 Posts
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Is this article just click-bait? Makes it seem like the vaccine isn't as perfectly safe as we might think.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...r-how-bad.html

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Huge automakers occasionally have safety recalls.

Does that stop you from buying a car and driving it?

Or, again, planes. Some get grounded but does that mean you completely stop flying?
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (04-04-2021), Spuds (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #1324
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 6,391
Thanks: 17,584
Thanked 7,727 Times in 3,999 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Huge automakers occasionally have safety recalls.

Does that stop you from buying a car and driving it?

Or, again, planes. Some get grounded but does that mean you completely stop flying?
This wasn't even a recall. They caught it before it went out the door.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #1325
JD001
Senior Member
 
JD001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 5,114
Thanks: 6,282
Thanked 5,177 Times in 2,916 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The UK is reporting 7 deaths due to blood clots following the administration of AstraZenenca. If I stop posting then you'll know why.. Yep, I've fucked off to a remote island away from the internet thingy..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #1326
soundman98
threadwrecker
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 6,610
Thanks: 19,387
Thanked 7,730 Times in 3,868 Posts
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
The UK is reporting 7 deaths due to blood clots following the administration of AstraZenenca. If I stop posting then you'll know why.. Yep, I've fucked off to a remote island away from the internet thingy..
7 out of how many? while i believe it's possible, i suspect the numbers would reveal a high potential that those 7 had a known or unknown underlying condition that promoted the result.
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
JD001 (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #1327
JD001
Senior Member
 
JD001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Subaru BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 5,114
Thanks: 6,282
Thanked 5,177 Times in 2,916 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
7 out of how many? while i believe it's possible, i suspect the numbers would reveal a high potential that those 7 had a known or unknown underlying condition that promoted the result.
Just found this:

A careful review of all available safety data of more than 17 million people vaccinated in the European Union (EU) and UK with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca has shown no evidence of an increased risk of pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or thrombocytopenia, in any defined age group, gender, batch or in any particular country.

So far across the EU and UK, there have been 15 events of DVT and 22 events of pulmonary embolism reported among those given the vaccine, based on the number of cases the Company has received as of 8 March.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-04-2021), wbradley (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #1328
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 19,927
Thanked 8,396 Times in 4,326 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Huge automakers occasionally have safety recalls.



Does that stop you from buying a car and driving it?



Or, again, planes. Some get grounded but does that mean you completely stop flying?
I don't inject cars into my body though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-06-2021), TommyW (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #1329
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 4,336
Thanks: 10,047
Thanked 4,389 Times in 2,224 Posts
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I don't inject cars into my body though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Iíd argue youíre still trusting they didnít fuck up and somehow leave a path for carbon monoxide from the exhaust to get into the car via the AC system. Or some other issue.

Any which way, youíre trusting people with your health and safety. There are safeguards in place to prevent most issues from reaching most customers. But sometimes issues get past them.

In the case you linked, as @Spuds said, it was caught at manufacturing time, which means there are logistics in place to hopefully keep everything as safe as possible. Just like would be the case with cars. Or electrical stuff in a home. Or ventilation and power in a subway.

Etc. etc.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #1330
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 19,927
Thanked 8,396 Times in 4,326 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Iíd argue youíre still trusting they didnít fuck up and somehow leave a path for carbon monoxide from the exhaust to get into the car via the AC system. Or some other issue.



Any which way, youíre trusting people with your health and safety. There are safeguards in place to prevent most issues from reaching most customers. But sometimes issues get past them.



In the case you linked, as @Spuds said, it was caught at manufacturing time, which means there are logistics in place to hopefully keep everything as safe as possible. Just like would be the case with cars. Or electrical stuff in a home. Or ventilation and power in a subway.



Etc. etc.
I'm take my 99.97% chance or whatever I think...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FT86 Nation Nov 23 2013 ichitaka05 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 63 12-05-2013 01:57 AM
FT86 Nation Nov 23 2013 ichitaka05 BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 15 11-23-2013 12:27 PM
Air suspension - is it still only for stance nation? diss7 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 9 10-24-2013 03:10 AM
Toyota Nation/Dorikaze Meet Jehuty77 CANADA 0 06-30-2012 09:32 AM
stance nation BRZ DuMa BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 23 05-08-2012 12:47 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.