follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
finch1750, go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #113
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
New brake setup!

In preparation for a upcoming tack day I installed all new rotors and pads on all 4 corners. For pads I chose the winmax W3 pads due to the information on this thread http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68486 To me it seemed like the W3 pads were the best all around for a DD/street vehicle that does spirited drives on the weekends and occasional track days. They supposedly make very minimal noise and have some bite even when cold. I paired these pads with DBA T2 slotted rotors to try them out on the track and see how they perform on the street as well. Also, the T2 are almost half the price of the T3 2 piece DBA rotors.

post track review;

I have very little time with these pads on the street but after bedding these in they REALLY like to bite when warm. You definitely notice the difference when these pads are warm vs cold. The cold performance isn't horrible, approximately the same as stock brake pads. Driving around town and on the freeway I didn't notice many noises coming from the pads themselves beside the occasional squeal when coming to a very slow stop at low speeds. I noticed the noise from the slotted rotors more than the pads themselves. Now at the track these brakes got to temperature quickly and performed very well. Unfortunately the track I was at is brake intensive and found that the paint on the outside had started bubbling from the heat. These would be great pads for someone who is just starting to track their car and don't want to run dedicated track pads. Unfortunately for me, I've learned that I'll have to run dedicated track pads because I feel that I was overheating these pads and pushing them past their potential. The day after the track day Neal over @The Racers Line had noticed and informed me that there was quite a bit of pad smear on the rotors. Also after the track day I have noticed louder and more frequent squeaking coming from these pads, but they may just need to be bedded in again.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #114
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Thunderhill West 2 mile track day! 10/29/17

On 10/29/17 my girlfriend had purchased a track day at Thunderhill Raceway for my birthday. (Pretty awesome girlfriend am I right? )

Anyway, we did the West 2mile configuration with Exclusive Track Days organization. The day went very well and the car behaved very well with no hiccups throughout the whole day.. until the last session.. but I'll get to that later. Brakes were doing great, tires were performing tremendously, and had great weather with no overheating problems at all. My fastest time of the day was a 1.32.00 measured with Harry's Lap Timer. I felt that was a pretty good lap time but I also feel like I could've gotten a better time..

all of these photocreds go to my GF.

here's a raw video clip of my 5th session. Unfortunately the 6th/final session had my fastest lap. Some of the laps in this session had multiple 1.32.xx

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bttcIRsAng&t=6s"]Thunderhill West 10/29/17 FR-S (Driver POV) Raw footage Session 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Anyways, during the last session on the last half of the last lap the driver behind me had noticed some smoke coming out of the rear of my car. After pulling into the paddock he had informed me what he saw and my GF had gotten up out of her chair because the car was smoking so bad she had thought I caught fire. We inspected the car and found that the driver's side axle had popped out of the diff and flung axle grease and diff fluid everywhere. The smoke had resonated due to the grease and fluid hitting the exhaust pipe that runs right under the driver's axle. After a quick call and some diagnosing later, we decided to pop the axle back into the diff limping the vehicle to a gas station near the track and then rechecking for more grease/fluid. We didn't find any new fluid so we limped the car 130miles home with a fellow Norcal86 member who was at the track day and was willing to caravan behind us on the way home.
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #115
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
FT86SpeedFactory Lightweight Battery kit

After a couple of early mornings where the vehicle would barely start and with some no starts I knew the car was due for a new battery. Instead of going with the same stock 30lb battery from Toyota I decided to go with the FT86speedfactory lightweight battery kit. I went with this kit/setup because everything is direct bolt on and FT86SF claims to see 19-20lbs worth of weight reduction. This kit includes a Braille 11lb battery and FT86SF's own battery tray and battery tie downs. The tie downs were somewhat of a bolt on.. It ended up fitting in the end but one of the tie down rods, the one that screws into a pre-existing hole in the chassis. It did not want to screw in and required quite a bit of fiddling and plier/lube to finally get the rod in, I almost had to resort to drilling out the hole a bit bigger just to get it to fit. The threads on the top of the rod cut up my fingers due the force/fiddling I had to do to get that rod securely in but kind of my fault for not wearing gloves.. The battery tray itself was a ok fit, the little rubber grommets that are supposed to go into the preexisting battery tray holes were a tad too large causing the battery tray to not want to seat perfectly. With these being noted after installing the battery and tightening it down, It does seem secure. It doesn't seem like it's going to tip over or move so that's a plus.

The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (12-06-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #116
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Monogram/10 series/RS1.0 USDM headlights!

I finally was able to find a great deal on some used USDM Monogram/10 series/RS1.0 headlights. They actually came off of a RS1.0 that was parting out. Anyways, they were a pretty simple bolt-on that required some modification. First off I had to buy the female 8pin connectors and repin the wires from the stock 6pin into the 8pin connector. Good thing I had a friend of mine help out with the wiring because I am not that experienced when it comes to wiring. After everything was wired up correctly the headlights worked properly just as if it was on a monogram series frs. Only difference is that my base frs does not have the level adjuster dial on the interior of the vehicle which is alright due to there being an adjustment dial on the back of the headlights. These totally change the look of the vehicle and look way better than my faded/oxidized stock headlights!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
MemphisR (12-06-2017), Teseo (12-06-2017), tintumz22 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #117
dezmoondo

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This looks perfect
dezmoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #118
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
After a couple of early mornings where the vehicle would barely start and with some no starts I knew the car was due for a new battery. Instead of going with the same stock 30lb battery from Toyota I decided to go with the FT86speedfactory lightweight battery kit. I went with this kit/setup because everything is direct bolt on and FT86SF claims to see 19-20lbs worth of weight reduction. This kit includes a Braille 11lb battery and FT86SF's own battery tray and battery tie downs. The tie downs were somewhat of a bolt on.. It ended up fitting in the end but one of the tie down rods, the one that screws into a pre-existing hole in the chassis. It did not want to screw in and required quite a bit of fiddling and plier/lube to finally get the rod in, I almost had to resort to drilling out the hole a bit bigger just to get it to fit. The threads on the top of the rod cut up my fingers due the force/fiddling I had to do to get that rod securely in but kind of my fault for not wearing gloves.. The battery tray itself was a ok fit, the little rubber grommets that are supposed to go into the preexisting battery tray holes were a tad too large causing the battery tray to not want to seat perfectly. With these being noted after installing the battery and tightening it down, It does seem secure. It doesn't seem like it's going to tip over or move so that's a plus.
Great write up!
I will probably consider this in the future since I basically have nothing else to do to the car anymore haha.

Oh yeah...and nice build

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #119
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Damn! So many update so quickly! Keep it up!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #120
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Damn! So many update so quickly! Keep it up!
It had been long over due
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (12-06-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #121
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
NYE Photoshoot

Some of the local east bay 86 guys went out on New Years Eve to take some proper pictures of the cars. All photo creds go to @maxpowa

Blue 17 BRZ: @NeedsBoostt
White BRZ: @maxpowa
Yellow FR-S: @Pizazu
White FR-S: Me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (01-01-2018), maxpowa (01-24-2018), supra2nv (01-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #122
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
:DDDDDD!!

Hey everyone,

I know I haven't updated my build in awhile but I've added a couple of things to Miyuki's rear end. One in particular I have been waiting for since the beginning of my build back in 2015.. Finally got my TRD Release Series 1.0 rear bumper lip painted and installed! Before the "NeEdS qUaD tIpS bRo!" I have the RS1.0 quad catback just waiting on new gaskets plus hardware. Also I had installed a Seibon CSL carbon fiber trunk.

absolutely in love with the rear end now and finally the rest of my TRD parts are coming together nicely.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
KMA KiCKz (04-10-2018), spike021 (04-10-2018), tintumz22 (04-11-2018), weederr33 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #123
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are you going to paint-match the new TRD bumper/rear lip?

Looks awesome, but it's pretty easy to tell in this pic that it's a different blend/shade of white...

Edit: clearly I’m blind because you did get it painted. Guessing that’s just a trick or the lighting in the picture. My bad.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage

Last edited by spike021; 04-10-2018 at 08:21 PM.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:31 PM   #124
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Are you going to paint-match the new TRD bumper/rear lip?

Looks awesome, but it's pretty easy to tell in this pic that it's a different blend/shade of white...

Edit: clearly I’m blind because you did get it painted. Guessing that’s just a trick or the lighting in the picture. My bad.
Yeah it's the lighting and it being on camera. Also there is a difference between the bumper material and the lip material which will cause different shades. Also! The way light hits the different angles will also change the shade of white. It's actually a very good match, and once you see it in person you'll see what i'm talking about.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #125
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
More photos of the build from a recent small photo shoot that my GF took of my car for Wekfest San Jose Application. Also 1 of the pictures is showing off my new TRD carbon fiber aero fins.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (04-26-2018), Lococholo84 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #126
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Finally installed my JDL Catless UEL header with black ceramic coating

Video of a "cold start" about high 60's outside with the car sitting for approximately 4 days.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dqLe57Ye8[/ame]

Last edited by MisterSheep; 05-12-2018 at 06:53 PM.