follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
Cursin

Drives: 2018 GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weird issue with key fob and drivers side door internal locks buttons.

I have a real weird issue that's just seemingly got way worse in the past week.

So for afew weeks now my key fob has been acting up causing me to spam the hell out of it well walking up to my car. ( annoying but no problem really I just assumed either interference or I was to far from the car or something)

Than this morning no matter how many times I pressed it no response well standing right next to the car. I think okay np maybe the key fob battery died. So I manually unlocked my car with a key got in and attempted to unlock the passenger side via the buttons on the inside door. To my surprise those actually no longer were working either. The real odd part of it all and what's catching me most offgaurd is neither of them are broken if I put the key in the ignition everything all starts working again fob and inside door button.

It has me a little baffled as to what the hells going on.

I have it booked in a tToyota for thrusday but the issue is intermediate and generally only happens when the car sits 6 plus hours( I notice it mostly in the mornings after it sat overnight) so I'm a little concerned if they'll even find anything.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this or have any advice on troubleshooting this?. I'm more than afew hours into reading through old threads but nothing seems like a match to me.
Cursin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Cursin

Video of the unlock button problem

http://imgur.com/gallery/O9oBRUr
Old 07-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Have you put a new battery in the fob?
Old 07-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursin View Post
Video of the unlock button problem

http://imgur.com/gallery/O9oBRUr
Does the manual red/black lock switch wiggle at all when you’re pressing the lock/unlock buttons?

If so, the door lock actuators on our cars can fail pretty easily as they get dirty and jam up.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
Cursin

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Does the manual red/black lock switch wiggle at all when you’re pressing the lock/unlock buttons?

If so, the door lock actuators on our cars can fail pretty easily as they get dirty and jam up.
That's the part that's weird to me cause when I turn on the infotainment system and give the car power everything starts working fine. The doors lock with the button in the video and the key fob everything works for afew hours after that as well. It's almost like it just stops getting power for some reason after sitting there off for abit. The battery was replaced last year so I'm kinda at a loss car starts and runs fine.

Will change the battery here in acouple hours in the fob and see if that changes anything. Thanks boys.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Brz866

Drives: Series Blue WRB JRSC C38 HBP Flex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had a similar issue but with the power windows. Driver side wouldn't work but passenger would. Would work when the car was running though. All power seems to run through the driver side master switch including the locks. Replaced the whole door harness then replaced the master switch and that was the issue. I hope this helps a little bit.
Brz866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
Cursin

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Have you put a new battery in the fob?
Thank you, Seems to of fixed everything. After researching on the forums abit more I found this post thats literally exactly the same symptoms from 2016

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113321

In there it says the alarm apparently if its locked with the fob it will only unlock with it thats why the doors interior locks themselves weren't working in the video after manually opening the door interesting.

Thanks everyone for all the input.