follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #1
Flasher
Smartass

Drives: Toyota GT86 & Impreza STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to drain the AVO catch can?

Title says it all. I've had the Avo catch can ever since I got my Avo turbo kit installed. I've been running it now for a few years, never actually cared to drain it, since I believe that it is circulating the catched oil vapors back to the oil pan.

So I don't even know if it is necessary to drain it at all. At least I couldn't find any valve or drainplug.
MODS |O.Z Leggera 18 x 8,5|Front:Tarox B32|Rear:OEM+EBC GreenStuff|Braided Lines|Milltek CAT-Back & Overpipe|Motiv Concepts catted Frontpipe| AVO Turbo|AVO breather tank|Mishimoto Oilcooler|Exedy Stage 1 Clutch|BeatSonic Sharkfin|TRD Ducktail|TRD Aero cover|Valenti blinker
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I don’t know much about that can but it should work like every other can with a line in and a line out. If there is a third line that T’s into your oil drain line for your turbo or something then yes it is dumping contents back into your oil. If the line isn’t directly on the bottom of the can then there may be oil sludge building in the can. It seems like the can is a closed system so you would have to remove the can completely and run solvent through it to clean out the sludge.

Most of blow by gasses are fuel. The fuel vapor is less dense than the oil vapor so oil would collect at the bottom more, and over time it could thicken like it does in oil pans, so periodic cleanings may be a good idea.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Is this what you have?
http://www.theboostlab.com/scion-fr-...atch-tank-n-a/

It looks like undoing the drain on the right side should do the trick. I'd drain it every oil change, and if you get nothing out, or next to nothing, just do it every other change to be sure you're keeping an eye on it.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:31 AM   #4
Flasher
Smartass

Drives: Toyota GT86 & Impreza STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is the one I have

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog...roducts_id/279

It does have some blocked off ports on the top and bottom of the sideface, but not sure if I should start messing with it and having it leaking afterwards.
MODS |O.Z Leggera 18 x 8,5|Front:Tarox B32|Rear:OEM+EBC GreenStuff|Braided Lines|Milltek CAT-Back & Overpipe|Motiv Concepts catted Frontpipe| AVO Turbo|AVO breather tank|Mishimoto Oilcooler|Exedy Stage 1 Clutch|BeatSonic Sharkfin|TRD Ducktail|TRD Aero cover|Valenti blinker
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote