follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

View Poll Results: How would you rate the design of the 2nd gen? 1 lowest & 5 highest
1 19 7.20%
2 25 9.47%
3 62 23.48%
4 104 39.39%
5 54 20.45%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #757
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
And because of you, I am now aware that JesseG does not speak for everyone with a first gen car, and that JesseG doesn't know that every last first gen owner will want the new engine. It took you pointing that out for me to realize that people should not talk in absolutes when trying to casually make a point of expressing themselves, and that people should articulate their thoughts in an exacting manner.

Which is why I am now perplexed- you are the resident semantics authority, one that I trust to illuminate the path of accurate language, yet you say that nobody will purchase a certain vehicle of adolescent tastes because it is visually unappealing. I am not capable to deduce without your assistance that what I believe to be the point you are raising is your opinion that the cosmetics of a certain vehicle to be not of your preference, and not that you have an absolute insight to know that every last self aware being will not purchase this vehicle because like you they find something to not have the correct visual proportions that would equate to their own formula of beauty. I cannot distinguish between these two, among potentially additional, possible interpretations of your statement without your assistance.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm just poking fun at you for being captain obvious here, not trying to be a troll.
Meh. What obviously isn't obvious is that not everybody is overwhelmed by a 15% increase. It is cool and all but this constantly repeated "everybody will want it" and "everybody needs more power" is tiresome.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #758
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
That video showed alot more of the shape to the front bumper... and I'm not sure if it's better. It has alot of the proportions of the current 86 bumper in that it it tapers inward at the bottom. I guess it gives it a more sleeker look, but I dunno, just looks sorta awkward.
"Still got these holder things for the seat belts".

I was really hoping that was something they would have improved on. Mine really never have worked more than about a week before they unsnap.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #759
albert

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
One of those rare moments when the next car does look like a natural progress from the current one. I like it. 🙂
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albert For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #760
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Did they mention wheel pattern? Same as first gen or something different?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #761
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Meh. What obviously isn't obvious is that not everybody is overwhelmed by a 15% increase. It is cool and all but this constantly repeated "everybody will want it" and "everybody needs more power" is tiresome.
100%.

So I owned a 2014 Monogram, a unicorn example at that too, and I sold it within a few months. I went from a C5Z to that car during a time I guess you could call my quarter life crisis, lol. I ultimately sold the car not because of my referencing to the C5Z, but rather a 2006 Civic Si. My brother was going overseas, so he left me his Civic to take care of while he was gone, so I had both cars side by side, for the entire time I owned it. I loved the FRS in every facet, but compared to the K20, it just highlighted what I didn't like about the FA20. The broader torque curve, linear power, and just the way it delivers it, just felt like the engine that should have been in the FRS. This car was strictly a weekend car (if it was to serve DD duties, I would've kept it) and that's why I ultimately sold it.

For me, it's not ultimately about the power, 60 times, etc, but those numbers can tell alot about how a car should feel. Why this engine is exciting me is that it sounds like it's finally going to have the engine I wanted.

The ND2 was also a revelation for me as well, for all intents and purposes there wasnt much of a change except the motor being able to rev out longer and therefore build more power. The bigger point is that it felt like an engine that matches a sportscar, and less like a rental car engine in a sportscar. The character matches, and from all accounts it looks like this engine will have that character. It went from a car that I was meh about to a car that I was sitting at a dealer desk about to buy (we couldn't reconcile $500 and someone else bought the car while I was playing hardball).

And yes, you can get a UEL and OFT for the current car and pretty much get an engine similar to a K20... but IF the FA24 is already good, then in theory a UEL and OFT will be even better!

But fortunately for you first gen owners, the new engine isn't a quantum leap like going from a 2011 to 2012 Mustang GT, this is more like a 2017 to 2018 Mustang GT, which is understandable why alot of current owners won't move up, err laterally. You like the car, you have the car, money spent, known quantity, no need to change it up. For us on the sideline on the fence, this is the sort of stuff that draws me back. I've already done a few higher hp cars, learned it's not for me in totality. I just wanted Subaru to do to these cars what Mazda did to the ND2, and it sounds like they did.

So I think everyone is happy, existing owners were not obsoleted, and those like me who just were wishing for a little more, get what they want.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #762
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
"Still got these holder things for the seat belts".

I was really hoping that was something they would have improved on. Mine really never have worked more than about a week before they unsnap.
Yeah, they did unsnap pretty easy, I just learned to pull the seatbelt more upwards than downwards which would "slice" it to unsnap. But of course my passengers didn't realize that, and my OCD ass had to go back every time and snap it back in place, lol.

But just be happy it has it, some cars don't and reaching back sometimes is an absolute pain. Or some cars over think (BMW), and engineer a really elegant solution that will surely malfunction costing you a ton to get repaired.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-24-2020), Dadhawk (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #763
NaturallyAspirated

Drives: 2019 BRZ w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Did they mention wheel pattern? Same as first gen or something different?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Still up in the air, but some members have graphically extrapolated that it's 5x100.
NaturallyAspirated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #764
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Although the engine itself is not "new" the addition of the Toyota fuel system to give it port and direct injection is unique to this car making it a bespoke combination.
Still haven't seen anything on what platform they used but the increased stiffness would lead in the direction of the new global one. This will allow for quite a few parts bins adaptions.

EDIT- Missed this before "Featuring a bespoke chassis" So not likely the Global Platform!

I thought I heard in one of the videos that it’s a “modified” version of Subaru’s new global platform. Not exactly sure what that means. But it sounds like it’s no longer on a modified Impreza platform. Maybe they frankensteined it all together?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #765
JesseG

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Yes it is a "new" version of an existing engine but unlike the FA20 they didn't develop a whole new engine for it just altered what they had.

This could be a good thing honestly

Old 11-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #766
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Oh yeah.

Still a much better overall gauge cluster on the new one!

- Andrew

I’ve always been a sucker for the analog speedometer that begins further to the right than most gauges. The needle I mean. I only ever look at the digital speed display in the tach though. I will miss that for sure. It just works and is easy to read. I think I will like a digital tach, especially in this configuration.

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #767
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Its weird, the more I see it the more it grows on me. For first gen owners not worth the switch but on face value I think its going to tick more of the boxes as a true back to basics Manual sports car with just the right touches of modern interior. No extra safety tech which is nice unlike other manufactures.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #768
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
I really like almost all of this update.

Front may take some getting used to. I’d like to see the car in Red.

One thing I definitely don’t like is the pre established license plate flat spot. Ugh.

I wondered if anyone else was bothered by the plate mounting spot, because I am also We are supposed to have front plates in Texas but it’s never enforced. I was so happy to see that holes weren’t drilled in the front bumper when I got my car. Adding a mounting spot for a plate is even worse than drilled holes.

Old 11-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #769
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I thought I heard in one of the videos that it’s a “modified” version of Subaru’s new global platform. Not exactly sure what that means. But it sounds like it’s no longer on a modified Impreza platform. Maybe they frankensteined it all together?!

Other way around. They took the existing bespoke chassis and added some elements of the Global Platform. The say that in the literature.
It never was on a modified Impreza platform. It was a bespoke platform BASED on the Impreza. One of the early test mules was built on a Impreza chassis but they didn't stick with that.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #770
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I wondered if anyone else was bothered by the plate mounting spot, because I am also We are supposed to have front plates in Texas but it’s never enforced. I was so happy to see that holes weren’t drilled in the front bumper when I got my car. Adding a mounting spot for a plate is even worse than drilled holes.

If you look close that spot is just screwed on. Much like the mounting plate on the current one I would expect it will come separate and be dealer installed if needed.