follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #57
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post

There is also the fact that I find the car hard to back up precisely with the poor visibility out the back. At night it is no fun to back this thing up.
...could be an operator problem.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #58
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
...could be an operator problem.
females don't have this particular problem
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #59
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I live next door to a grade school, and at the time I leave for work, the kids are streaming in. A kid standing behind the car is not visible out of the rear window line of sight.

Blind spot mirrors will tell you who is there, but they wont tell you who is coming up at some crazy rate and about to enter into the field of view. In Europe where most people know how to drive, this is not so much of an issue, in NA where left lane hogs and passing on the wrong side are both religions, more so. Like I said, not a good car for slice and dice driving.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #60
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I live next door to a grade school, and at the time I leave for work, the kids are streaming in. A kid standing behind the car is not visible out of the rear window line of sight.

Blind spot mirrors will tell you who is there, but they wont tell you who is coming up at some crazy rate and about to enter into the field of view. In Europe where most people know how to drive, this is not so much of an issue, in NA where left lane hogs and passing on the wrong side are both religions, more so. Like I said, not a good car for slice and dice driving.
that's where you need to reverse back a few inches and look around (left, right, back) and then back up some more and look around again..constantly looking around and keep going until you are all the way out of the spot...inch by inch....even slightly honk the horn to get a person's attention if they are nearby your car...that's how i do it leaving the drive way and kids are walking to the bus stop or people are walking their dogs on the road in the neighborhood

or always reverse park your car so you never need to back out onto the main road

for slice and dice driving you need to monitor the cars and see where each car is on the road before switching lanes...plan your lines in advance and be ready to swerve back in your lane or slam on the brakes.....then again driving on the highway like that is foolish and pointless but driving on I-95 everyday with these crazy floridians will teach you how to drive like a cautious maniac
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Spec C Wannabe (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #61
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post

or always reverse park your car so you never need to back out onto the main road

Did not realize that running over people while backing into the driveway was more acceptable than when egressing from the same driveway!
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 PM   #62
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
The FRS is a great place to spend time doing any kind of driving. The way a lightweight car with a good chassis drives is its superpower and you get the benefit of that no matter what kind of driving you are doing.

I am in the camp of "What torque dip". If it is there, it certainly has not played a role in my driving experience.

The one reason I would NOT buy the car for inner city driving is the huge blind-spot in the PS rear quarter. Yes my mirrors are adjusted properly, but for the same reason I don't like driving panel-vans, I don't enjoy slice and dice traffic in the FRS.

There is also the fact that I find the car hard to back up precisely with the poor visibility out the back. At night it is no fun to back this thing up. Car needs a rear view camera. If you hare happy driving with your mirrors, none of this will bother you.
Never forget the first rule of Italian driving.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #63
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got act clutch with lightweight flywheel and it's still fun and easy to drive in LA traffic so you should be fine
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turtlefeeder For This Useful Post:
Spec C Wannabe (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #64
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohome
Yes my mirrors are adjusted properly, but for the same reason I don't like driving panel-vans, I don't enjoy slice and dice traffic in the FRS.
If this is a poor city driving car, then there is no good city driving car in the world. This car is tiny, quick and has excellent vision. I have no issues with rear view at all. If your mirrors are really adjusted right there's no blind spot- at all. Plus if you just check your shoulder, no problems.

Drive a 2010 Camaro THEN talk about blind spots. Or try driving a HHR panel van and you'll find the flaw in your argument
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #65
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
If your mirrors are really adjusted right there's no blind spot- at all.
This is just as false as it has always been. This car does have a huge blind spot, even when the mirrors are adjusted correctly.

The problem is not in the lane next to you. It's in the next lane over. If you go more than one lane width away, it is impossible to adjust away that blind spot.

That means on a road with three or more lanes, you can have someone pacing you two lanes over that you can't see. If both of you move to the center lane at the same time, the other car suddenly appears out of nowhere.

The same thing goes for on-ramps on highways. In most places in the US, on-ramps come into the highway at an angle. Until you're right alongside traffic, that extra distance over the grass between you and the travel lane puts some of those vehicles right in the blind spot. I've driven a lot of cars over the years, and this is one of the more difficult ones to merge into flowing traffic because of that huge gap in what you can see.

Trying to pretend there's no blind spot "at all" is a recipe for a wreck.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
86Boyz (12-30-2016), amcluesent (12-30-2016), new2subaru (12-30-2016), Ultramaroon (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #66
Spec C Wannabe

Drives: 2017 WRB M/T BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
This is just as false as it has always been. This car does have a huge blind spot, even when the mirrors are adjusted correctly.

The problem is not in the lane next to you. It's in the next lane over. If you go more than one lane width away, it is impossible to adjust away that blind spot.

That means on a road with three or more lanes, you can have someone pacing you two lanes over that you can't see. If both of you move to the center lane at the same time, the other car suddenly appears out of nowhere.

The same thing goes for on-ramps on highways. In most places in the US, on-ramps come into the highway at an angle. Until you're right alongside traffic, that extra distance over the grass between you and the travel lane puts some of those vehicles right in the blind spot. I've driven a lot of cars over the years, and this is one of the more difficult ones to merge into flowing traffic because of that huge gap in what you can see.

Trying to pretend there's no blind spot "at all" is a recipe for a wreck.

You are correct. But this fact should be applicable to any car, not only 86/BRZ. It depends on the width of the sight angle of a particular car. The body type may play the part but not as much as how one adjusts his side mirrors and the width of the sight angle itself.
Spec C Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #67
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
After owning an NC Miata for several years and a FR-S for several years, I would suggest that if you like the top down experience, get an ND or if you want a solid coupe, get a the BRZ.

They both drive (handling and power) pretty much the same. Fuel ecomomy and dependability are about the same.

They both are fine driving automobiles for general city/commuting or touring.

As far as packing your "stuff", the BRZ has a bit more room (little back seat/expandable trunk). However, we found, that the Miata had sufficient trunk space for a 2-3 week trip for two people ....... if you pack "right".

For touring, the main advantages that the BRZ/FR-S has over the Miata is it has a bit more cabin room (shoulder room), is a bit quieter (easier to converse with a co-pilot and listen to music) and it has a spare tire.

The main advantage that the Miata has over the BRZ/FR-S is ........ the top will go down, adding a dimension to driving that is unique in itself......

humfrz
Pretty much my thoughts. If you are my size 6'-2" and 195 pounds the ND isn't big enough inside no matter how much I like it. The BRZ driving position is superb. The BRZ with the PP is a lot cheaper than a ND Club with BBS/Brembos. Most people end up putting in different sway bars on the ND Club to combat the body roll.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmark For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #68
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

I cannot disagree that that is an issue, in any car really. However, in that situation it is the responsibility of the other driver to pay attention to the vehciles to their left (you) that they can every clearly see out of their driver side window, and to ensure that they leave you room to merge since you are the one with the known blind spot, in any vehicle, and therefore the right of way if you're signaling your intention to move to the right. If a collision were to occur, blame is more likely to fall to them because the contact would be to your rear, and it's impossible for them to not see you coming and yield to you. It's still an uncomfortable situation to be in, but there's only so much you can do when you're not driving a VW Bus with 2-dozen windows to see out of. Other drivers are supposed to be cognizant of that and give you space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
guybo (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #69
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
However, in that situation it is the responsibility of the other driver to pay attention to the vehciles to their left (you) that they can every clearly see out of their driver side window, and to ensure that they leave you room to merge since you are the one with the known blind spot, in any vehicle, and therefore the right of way if you're signaling your intention to move to the right. If a collision were to occur, blame is more likely to fall to them because the contact would be to your rear, and it's impossible for them to not see you coming and yield to you.
That is actually not always true. In some states, the right of way law is written so that the "overtaking vehicle" must yield the right of way to the vehicle being overtaken. That is supposed to refer to someone entering the lane next to them when there's already a car there, but it has been interpreted to also mean that in the case of two cars merging into the same center lane, the car to the rear, in the blind spot, has the right of way even though they have the better visibility to be able to avoid an accident.

Additionally, that's almost always incorrect with reference to traffic entering from an on ramp. The guy on the on ramp must yield the right of way to traffic already in the travel lane, regardless of whether it's in his blind spot. While it's an asshole move not to allow traffic to merge in, the guy in the travel lane has the right of way over merging traffic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-01-2017), Ultramaroon (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 PM   #70
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec C Wannabe View Post
You are correct. But this fact should be applicable to any car, not only 86/BRZ.
And thus guybo should not have said, "If your mirrors are really adjusted right there's no blind spot- at all."