follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 2018 radio in 2017?

I got a great deal on a 2017 BRZ, knowing that the radio was sub-par. As expected, it looks like the 2018 unit is decent. Anyone know if it's a close enough match to get a 2018 unit and drop it into my 2017?
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
A great aftermarket unit will cost you significantly less money. Just a heads up.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
airjonny (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
That's where I started, but:
1) I can't find a trim kit to fit the '17 BRZ
2) I can't find a double-din radio for it - I've been told by Crutchfield and CarToys that the '17 BRZ doesn't have the depth for standard double-dins (and I don't want a pop-up single-din)
3) I can get a deal on an '18 radio if it fits (although admittedly it may still be more than I'm willing vs. my current phone-holder setup)

If anyone has found a double-din radio that fits the '17 BRZ that'd be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by COBlue; 01-30-2018 at 10:03 PM.
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Scython

Drives: 2015 ISM BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd be interested in finding out if the 2018 H.U can be retro-fitted into older models. If we could retain the OEM mic and USB port simply by plug and play, that would be great.

Keep us posted!
Drambeenie (02-22-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Benji

Drives: BRZ
After reading everything about the stock headunits being trash (even on the 17) I was actually reasonably surprised at crap mine wasn't.

I don't think it's actually that bad, I just think they try and expect too much of the stock speakers by extending them too low to make it sound "better" but only at low volumes. If they hadn't sent so much low frequency to the door speakers and reserved that for the optional extra sub, I don't actually think it would be that bad at all. I really want to demo the Subaru sub but I don't want to pay $500+ to find out.

I too was waiting for the 18's specifically for Android Auto but based on what everyone was saying, it wouldn't be that great experience anyway (compared to something like SYNC3 on Fords) and so would want to change the head unit regardless. Kenwood/Pioneer/etc also announced wireless Android Auto head units coming out at the end of the month which I would prefer so I just got a 17.
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
jorgerendonjr

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I really want this radio regardless of the price
If someone has a part number that they can share that will be appreciated
jorgerendonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
NeverInTime

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Poke around the Electronics/Audio subforum, there's some information for people who have done double-din installs. Here's some of the stuff that people have already done to fit standard double-din radios in BRZs;

Double-din adapters for stock opening:http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122274

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/43320 or
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-8202...ca3dfbb1618f22

Canadian dash trim with standard rectangular opening: https://parts.subaru.com/p/__Limited...6077CA200.html or
https://www.mysubarustore.com/oem-pa...bly-66077ca200
Clip for center trim part https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/...909130092.html

Diagram for the dash parts:
NeverInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeverInTime For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (02-11-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scython View Post
I'd be interested in finding out if the 2018 H.U can be retro-fitted into older models. If we could retain the OEM mic and USB port simply by plug and play, that would be great.

Keep us posted!
I can't speak for a '18 in a '17 but I have the 2014 radio in my 2013 FRS. It was a straight plug and play. It would all depend on if the wiring harness is different, which you should be able to tell from a photo of the back of each.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Scython (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
After reading everything about the stock headunits being trash (even on the 17) I was actually reasonably surprised at crap mine wasn't.

I don't think it's actually that bad, I just think they try and expect too much of the stock speakers by extending them too low to make it sound "better" but only at low volumes. If they hadn't sent so much low frequency to the door speakers and reserved that for the optional extra sub, I don't actually think it would be that bad at all. I really want to demo the Subaru sub but I don't want to pay $500+ to find out.

I too was waiting for the 18's specifically for Android Auto but based on what everyone was saying, it wouldn't be that great experience anyway (compared to something like SYNC3 on Fords) and so would want to change the head unit regardless. Kenwood/Pioneer/etc also announced wireless Android Auto head units coming out at the end of the month which I would prefer so I just got a 17.
I agree with you on sound of the stock sound system. In my experience it has improved over time

I was way underwhelmed with it in the beginning. Tweaked the EQ curves incessantly. I finally threw in the towel and went back to flat frequency response.

I was surprised that I liked it! After a while I still liked it so I did not change the EQ curves again and just enjoyed the music (all CD/redbook).

It doesn't play loud or deep but it has nice resolution and not an etched hi end.

I still hate the user interface for all headunit functions. One shouldn't have to take eyes off road to advance tracks. Bring back physical switches and buttons!!

My other hobby is my home stereo and it is significantly higher acquisition dollars. New $ for new $ the stereo system cost double my 2013 BRZ limited. I know what well produced music sounds like.

The BRZ is a humble unit but far from an awful musical experience.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
Benji (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
Benji

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
I agree with you on sound of the stock sound system. In my experience it has improved over time

I was way underwhelmed with it in the beginning. Tweaked the EQ curves incessantly. I finally threw in the towel and went back to flat frequency response.

I was surprised that I liked it! After a while I still liked it so I did not change the EQ curves again and just enjoyed the music (all CD/redbook).

It doesn't play loud or deep but it has nice resolution and not an etched hi end.

I still hate the user interface for all headunit functions. One shouldn't have to take eyes off road to advance tracks. Bring back physical switches and buttons!!

My other hobby is my home stereo and it is significantly higher acquisition dollars. New $ for new $ the stereo system cost double my 2013 BRZ limited. I know what well produced music sounds like.

The BRZ is a humble unit but far from an awful musical experience.
You put it into words WAY better than I did! Thank you!
@jorgerendonjr why do you want the stock 18 unit so bad over the significantly better after market options? What does the 18 HU have over those?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:22 PM   #11
jorgerendonjr

Drives: Frs
Quote:
You put it into words WAY better than I did! Thank you!
@jorgerendonjr why do you want the stock 18 unit so bad over the significantly better after market options? What does the 18 HU have over those?
I like oem finish, my 2015 frs has 2017 subaru radio, now with the 2018 model having a new radio I want to upgrade
jorgerendonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #12
Benji

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgerendonjr View Post
I like oem finish, my 2015 frs has 2017 subaru radio, now with the 2018 model having a new radio I want to upgrade
I get it! I do but with head units like the Kenwood DDX917WS have the perfect fit and as far as I understand it, retain all factory functions doesn't it?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Quote:
I get it! I do but with head units like the Kenwood DDX917WS have the perfect fit and as far as I understand it, retain all factory functions doesn't it?
I haven't fully priced it out yet, but that radio (not a USA model), the Canadian dash trim to make it look OEM, and the adapters needed to retain all the OEM functions likely push the total cost to near $1000 before install. And then it's still got the "controls" on the "wrong" side (agreed, minor thing).
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Benji

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
I haven't fully priced it out yet, but that radio (not a USA model), the Canadian dash trim to make it look OEM, and the adapters needed to retain all the OEM functions likely push the total cost to near $1000 before install. And then it's still got the "controls" on the "wrong" side (agreed, minor thing).
Valid point although you'll be doing much the same thing trying to retrofit an 18 HU wouldn't you? I don't believe it's standard double DIN is it?

The controls being on the wrong side I was curious about until I got my BRZ and then saw how close everything was, now I seriously doubt I'd have an issue with it at all and in fact, may prefer it since your hand won't be in the way of the screen when you're using the controls.