follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Kambo_Rambo

Drives: Lancer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pricing in Aus?

Well apparently we can hope for a release 6 months after the US gets theirs. According to the current trend of car price markups in Australia, how much would the 86 go for? Assuming 25k base model in US... low 30s?
Kambo_Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
assuming the dollar keeps going strong then we'll probably be able to get it for the same price at our dealers as the ones in the US

p.s. its supposedly scheduled for 2013 release soo its got the time to get up there
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Kambo_Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
assuming the dollar keeps going strong then we'll probably be able to get it for the same price at our dealers as the ones in the US

p.s. its supposedly scheduled for 2013 release soo its got the time to get up there
Dollar won't stay like this forever, reserve bank is gonna do something to stay competitive (drop it back down). But disregarding the dollar value, theres still a large markup from import taxes and other fees ? Im thinking for example 370z 30k there, 65k here.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
Calais

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo_Rambo View Post
Dollar won't stay like this forever, reserve bank is gonna do something to stay competitive (drop it back down). But disregarding the dollar value, theres still a large markup from import taxes and other fees ? Im thinking for example 370z 30k there, 65k here.
yea thats what i mean the more strength our dollar gains against the US the cheaper it'll be here even with the mark up due to all the taxes that get placed on the car
Old 10-17-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
we have to remember that toyota doesnt get influenced by import tax in US since its built there. here, for a personal import anyway, we pay 1stly the customs duty (10% whatever the price of the car was) then we pay GST on the total taxable value which is the price of the car, customs duty and transport/insurance/quarantine.. so a AUD32000 car ends up being AUD44000 after we get raped.. thats cus we dont make jap cars here. which sucks for everyone but the government.. but i dunno how the manufacturers get taxed, apart from having lower cost of transport/insurance per car im assuming that they also put a markup as well of a certain %. toyota is about (comparing base price for base model yaris, camry, corola)40% difference between american and australian. after paying for customs duty, GST, transport, quarantine and insurance, on the other hand, increases the value of the car by about 35-40%
going of a US camry, the base price is 19720 USD, according to XE 1AUD is 0.991USD so lets go of that, AUD19899, throgh the import tax calculator, it end with AUD29100, while the cost here is AUD30490 for the base model camry. so thats 1K (5%) difference that the toyota aus costs more than toyota US after the import taxes..
so from that lets say that US prices are 25000 for the mid range model..
with import tax and 5% after markup AUD36960 for the midrange model in australia.. this is purely using the import tax calculator (that i made from the information on the website bellow) and ading the markup i just figured from the differences in price so lets say i made mistakes and the actual price for the mid range (USD25000) is AUD37000
help much?
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp#duty (just ignore the LCT)
Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
Calais

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
we have to remember that toyota doesnt get influenced by import tax in US since its built there. here, for a personal import anyway, we pay 1stly the customs duty (10% whatever the price of the car was) then we pay GST on the total taxable value which is the price of the car, customs duty and transport/insurance/quarantine.. so a AUD32000 car ends up being AUD44000 after we get raped.. thats cus we dont make jap cars here. which sucks for everyone but the government.. but i dunno how the manufacturers get taxed, apart from having lower cost of transport/insurance per car im assuming that they also put a markup as well of a certain %. toyota is about (comparing base price for base model yaris, camry, corola)40% difference between american and australian. after paying for customs duty, GST, transport, quarantine and insurance, on the other hand, increases the value of the car by about 35-40%
going of a US camry, the base price is 19720 USD, according to XE 1AUD is 0.991USD so lets go of that, AUD19899, throgh the import tax calculator, it end with AUD29100, while the cost here is AUD30490 for the base model camry. so thats 1K (5%) difference that the toyota aus costs more than toyota US after the import taxes..
so from that lets say that US prices are 25000 for the mid range model..
with import tax and 5% after markup AUD36960 for the midrange model in australia.. this is purely using the import tax calculator (that i made from the information on the website bellow) and ading the markup i just figured from the differences in price so lets say i made mistakes and the actual price for the mid range (USD25000) is AUD37000
help much?
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp#duty (just ignore the LCT)
yes but that'll all change as our dollar goes over parity the price will go down and so too will the taxes because they are a percentage of the cost thats all im saying. if it were to come out right now because of all those taxes i agree with both of you that it'll be marked up a considerable amount
Old 10-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #7
70NYD

oh but i think i forgot to mention this is when privatly importing a car, so manufacturers ofcourse have a different pricing, as well as for transport and quarantine. but yeah this is all dependant on the price of the Australian dollar vs the yen really since thats where they are manufactured, OR the prices are simply governed by toyota CO regardless of what the currency value is. i dunno that part
Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Kambo_Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
oh but i think i forgot to mention this is when privatly importing a car, so manufacturers ofcourse have a different pricing, as well as for transport and quarantine. but yeah this is all dependant on the price of the Australian dollar vs the yen really since thats where they are manufactured, OR the prices are simply governed by toyota CO regardless of what the currency value is. i dunno that part
regardless it would probably be similar.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
Kambo_Rambo

Do all the fees on that site apply to private imports ? Im thinking of getting another car while I wait for this one, but the car I want would be classified as a grey import. I understand theres also other fees like freight, shipping agent, compliance etc. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of imports to AuS?

(slightly off topic)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
70NYD

Those are the personal import prices. I couldn't find the manufacturer import ones bunt assume they would be same if not simmilar
The customs value includes shipping and insurance for tax purposes you would have to pay agent fees IF someone is doing it for you as well as some other fees for quarantine I beleive