follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What tail lights are DOT approved?

I'm curious, which tails are officially DOT approved? I know the USDM spec Toms and Buddy club are for sure... valentis I think are not. What about all the others? Crystal eyes, spyder etc
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I think you are confusing USDM and DOT legal.

USDM spec TOM's are pinned for plug and play but they lack the lighted reflector on the side making them illegal.

The DOT approved TOM's are fine as they have the lighted reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidrifter For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'd wager none of them are truly DOT approved.
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshole View Post
I'd wager none of them are truly DOT approved.
Nope, wrong. Wager lost.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
sshole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Nope, wrong. Wager lost.
Show me the money.

Edit: since it seems there's so much confusion on this topic, I'll give you guys some help.

http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/DOT_Legal.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlepower
Some people tell you their bulbs are “DOT approved.” But there’s no such thing as a “DOT approved” bulb. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) does not test or “approve” bulbs. Instead, the law says the manufacturer or importer must promise, or certify, that his bulbs comply with all the requirements in the technical standard.
http://www.sema.org/federal-regulati...ermarket-parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMA
Does NHSTA “approve” vehicles and equipment?
No. NHTSA relies on self-certification. It does not require submission of any documentation regarding the safety of aftermarket parts unless it is triggered by an investigation. Each year, NHTSA crash-tests a limited number of cars manufactured by the automakers to confirm that they meet the FMVSS.

Is “DOT-approved” a legal term?
No, NHTSA has no authority to "approve" or "disapprove" vehicle equipment. The equipment is self-certified. Sometimes the term is confused with the DOT symbol, which is required to be placed by the manufacturer on certain items of equipment such as headlamps. This is simply an affirmative statement by the manufacturer that the equipment is compliant with an applicable NHTSA rule.
http://www.bikersrights.com/nhtsa/notapproved.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random biker's rights website
"It [DOT sticker] does not represent any "approval" by DOT. We [NHTSA] have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicles or equipment." 8/15/02, Jacqueline Glassman, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
So, I say again, I'd wager none of them are truly DOT approved.

Last edited by sshole; 02-19-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Response Dude, I am regulator by trade. I draft legislation and regulation. This is what "approved" means. If it meets the specifications required by the regulator, they are approved by the regular (in such industries where the regulator does not need to actually certify the product themselves or through a 3rd party auditor) You being "right" for your logic also means everyone else is right by saying they are DOT approved.

Quote:
Show me the money.

"Kind of tough to make out in this photo with our watermark, but these are marked with SAE DOT approval."

Other photos from user's install posts show the stamp also.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
sshole
Banned

I could stamp my gentleman's sausage with "DOT Approved." Doesn't make it fit for use on the road, though.

Anyways, both our points are sound. I'm just saying the DOT doesn't approve ****. They put out the regulations and requirements and fully expect the manufacturer to adhere to it. Whether the manufacturer does or not is up to them, not the DOT.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Seriously why does it even matter?

You will never get busted for lights anyways. You'd get pull over for your tint first
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:
I could stamp my gentleman's sausage with "DOT Approved." Doesn't make it fit for use on the road, though.

Anyways, both our points are sound. I'm just saying the DOT doesn't approve ****. They put out the regulations and requirements and fully expect the manufacturer to adhere to it. Whether the manufacturer does or not is up to them, not the DOT.
But it is easy to confirm if something meets the regulations set upon the manufacture. Very few regulators FORCE the employer to produce a good or treat a worker as stipulated by regulation - they expect them to, and enforce them when otherwise. If something is sold and advertised as DOT approved, and is not, you (as a consumer) would have legal grounds.

Your wiener would not pass DOT approval for a functional tail light unless it had lit side reflectors, duel stage brake lights, a red lens, etc
Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBrz View Post

You will never get busted for lights anyways. You'd get pull over for your tint first
it is a bigger issue in countries that to engineered inspections (tho DOT is not an issue there, but other standards are required to be met)
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
sshole
Banned

Quote:

It matters if you get rear ended because your non-compliant tail lights weren't to spec. Your insurance company could theoretically have a field day with your policy.

And people get pulled over for things like a tail light bulb not functional. What's stopping an officer from pulling you over because your tail lights are too dim or otherwise malfunctioning?
The Following User Says Thank You to sshole For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
It matters if you get rear ended because your non-compliant tail lights weren't to spec. Your insurance company could theoretically have a field day with your policy.

And people get pulled over for things like a tail light bulb not functional. What's stopping an officer from pulling you over because your tail lights are too dim or otherwise malfunctioning?
Like sshole said, insurance basically. I was pretty set on the DOT Tom's but I wanted to see what other options are out there. I got rear-ended recently for over $6k in damages.. I was sitting at a stop light with a dash cam and it was still tough to get the other insurance to pay up for everything. I imagine getting aftermarket tails that are not DOT compliant might end up with me footing the $6k bill if I ever get rear ended again...
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hmm I didn't think of the insurance aspect.

I guess that is important lol
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
The issue is that the OP used the word "approved." In this instance sshole is correct. DOT does not approve of any tail lights.

However, the TOM's DOT legal lights do meet DOT regulations set for tail lights. So while they are not approved by DOT they do meet the required standards to be used on the road here in the US and more importantly in California.

As far as getting pulled over for tint. Yes that is the most likely cause of you getting pulled over. But cops can pull you over for one thing and add a bunch of other things like illegal tail lights, exhaust, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote