follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GR 86: Orders /Reservation /Waitlist Chat

In about a week or two we should start seeing orders, reservations, and waitlists gaining some traction as dealers receive their available allocations for the first deliveries of the 2022 GR 86 in December.

Wanted to get the party started by saying I’ve successfully placed a deposit for a White Premium GR 86 but I’ve been beat by 2 others at the dealership, but only because it’s the lowest price I’ve found. So the timing is indefinite but I’m also reaching out to multiple dealers.

What I’ve experienced is that Subaru dealers (at least here in NorCal) effortlessly offered MSRP (some under) for a Subaru sold order, but I’ve had the hardest time finding a Toyota dealer willing to agree to MSRP.

Last edited by Veloist; 12-17-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (11-18-2021), StE92ve (11-09-2021), weederr33 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
Dylans47

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Wanted to get the party started by saying I’ve successfully placed a deposit for a White Premium GR 86 but I’ve been beat by 2 others at the dealership, but only because it’s the lowest price I’ve found. So the timing is indefinite but I’m also reaching out to multiple dealers.
When did you place that deposit? I placed mine August 25th in SoCal and there were already 16 other people ahead of me. #17 on the waitlist now.

I'm also set my preference for a white premium manual. I'm thinking there's going to be a lot in that specification
Dylans47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
Veloist

Yesterday haha. I’m in the Bay Area, and the salesperson told me he was surprised there weren’t as many deposits as he thought.

I’m pretty sure most people in the Bay Area gravitated toward the BRZ first. A lot of stores have BRZ orders pushed back until March.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You did better than me, I'm also in the Bay Area, emailed every single dealer within 50 miles, only like 2 or 3 were taking deposits, and two at MSRP. I wound up being like #7 or something, and this was a week ago.

The rest of the dealers either weren't taking deposits until they knew their allocation, or just put me on a list without a deposit, of which I am #1 on one.

Seeing what's happening with the BRZ, I give it a few months after cars start arriving at dealers and we should be able to shop these physically.

Turns out, I'm not in that big of a rush anyway since I won't be able to drive a stick car until Jan, more likely Feb anyway (shoulder surgery), so my sense of urgency has diminished. Perfectly happy waiting for the one dealer who was actually nice to deal with to get my eventual car in.

I'd say that a year from today, discounts will become normal if the previous gen is of any indication.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #5
jdmwol2ks

Drives: 22' Model
Which dealers do you have your name down at? I placed deposits at the beginning of October at 2 bay area dealers and am #4 (#1 for base) and #8 or 9 at two dealers who will sell at MSRP. Really hoping to get in on the first wave of cars to hit. I'm gunning for a Neptune base model, but seems like it maybe hard to come across.
jdmwol2ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:30 AM   #6
TheDonEffect

I got a deposit down at Walnut Creek.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:35 AM   #7
puppers

Drives: Model 3 Performance + X
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Yesterday haha. I’m in the Bay Area, and the salesperson told me he was surprised there weren’t as many deposits as he thought.

I’m pretty sure most people in the Bay Area gravitated toward the BRZ first. A lot of stores have BRZ orders pushed back until March.
It looks like I’m the order right after you haha! I guess that makes me 4th.

FWIW thread, the sales guy said the more you are open to colors, the quicker you will get some sort of allocation for one.
puppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
jdmwol2ks

Drives: 22' Model
Seems like we are all In line at the same place haha have any off you guys heard from the salesman of actual allocations for the dealer? I’m hoping it’s released soon
jdmwol2ks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
Clark20

Drives: 2019 BRZ PP
So are only West coast dealers taking orders currently? I live in the Mid-West and dealerships around don't have much information on it as of yet they say.
Clark20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
rowen0fpts

Drives: 2016 series hyperblue
Do you guys understand that not a single one of you officially has an actual reservation?

I spoke to a sales manager at Toyota yesterday and asked if they were taking deposits. He said that there is still no official system released for them (or any Toyota dealership) to take deposits on the 86. I told him about you guys and how there are people I know who have placed deposits at other dealerships. He laughed, and told me that it’s a dirty tactic that some dealers are taking. They tell you you’re reserving the car, but in reality are pretty much just taking your money unofficially and holding it, which ensures that you will, not only buy that car, but buy it from that dealership specifically. It is 100% unofficial.

He once again reiterated to me - there is currently NO portal in their system designed to take deposits on this vehicle. Like, if he was given money for a deposit, he wouldn’t even know what to do with it in the computer. You guys are not being entered into anything.

This explains why certain dealerships take deposits and others don’t. It’s also the reason why it’s never the same amount between two dealerships lmao. You guys really couldn’t see this a mile away?

Now stop talking about pre-orders until Toyota actually opens it up on their website. There’s no way around this.
rowen0fpts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
TheDonEffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowen0fpts View Post
Do you guys understand that not a single one of you officially has an actual reservation?

I spoke to a sales manager at Toyota yesterday and asked if they were taking deposits. He said that there is still no official system released for them (or any Toyota dealership) to take deposits on the 86. I told him about you guys and how there are people I know who have placed deposits at other dealerships. He laughed, and told me that it’s a dirty tactic that some dealers are taking. They tell you you’re reserving the car, but in reality are pretty much just taking your money unofficially and holding it, which ensures that you will, not only buy that car, but buy it from that dealership specifically. It is 100% unofficial.

He once again reiterated to me - there is currently NO portal in their system designed to take deposits on this vehicle. Like, if he was given money for a deposit, he wouldn’t even know what to do with it in the computer. You guys are not being entered into anything.

This explains why certain dealerships take deposits and others don’t. It’s also the reason why it’s never the same amount between two dealerships lmao. You guys really couldn’t see this a mile away?

Now stop talking about pre-orders until Toyota actually opens it up on their website. There’s no way around this.

Oh look, the sun rose today, I will die some day, and in April taxes are due.

You do understand that these deposits are refundable right?

So your buddy at the dealer, how do they plan to sell their allocation then? Just get them in, put them on their lot, and then sell to foot traffic? Or do the sales people have unofficial waitlists, and call around to see who wants it and then create a you need to buy this right now? How does one then fall into those good graces to get priority notice?

Toyota dealers around here for highly sought after models, in the high volume areas, have a reputation of getting as much as they can (as they should, they are running a business afterall), or at least making you go through a gauntlet of dealer bs to get the deal, a deal that could be had at a number of other dealers if they only had it in stock... which they sold to those who had deposits.

My inlaws for instance want to buy a CRV right now (of all times), and right now in the area MSRP is a really good deal as 2k markups is absolutely the norm. The dealers who sell at MSRP are out of stock, and require a deposit on their allocations.

But absolutely, I can wait, and see how the market unfolds, and then jump on a deal that pops up. Guess what, I can still do that, because my deposit is... refundable! But if nothing pops up, or the market gets a bit nuts, and then people start calling around to get their spot in line, at least I got my placeholder.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #12
Rustyoid

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Toyota dealerships in USA/Canada have been able to input "Sold Order Requests" since August 16th 2021. Source: me, I submitted my own order that day
Rustyoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
Veloist

Quote:

Actually, if the dealership is organized then they can indeed take deposits for the build slot that is allocated, rather than a physical car.

The way it works is that when allocations open up the available model codes and color codes will show up to the dealer on the Toyota dealer portal (I think it’s still called Dealer Daily).

Sometimes if the model code and color are filled/unavailable from factory already then the dealer wont be able to choose it.

So what an organized dealer would is collect refundable deposits on trim, transmission, and color. So if the first deposit is for a Red, Premium, Manual and they have an open/ available build slot for any combination then the first deposit gets their car in that allocation, all the dealer has do to is preference that configuration.

But for some reason if red, Premium, Manual is not available that person gets skipped until next allocation. They still have the deposit and they still have 1st place in line once red becomes available in future allocations, which can be indefinite.

This is why some dealers who 100% aware and organized will suggest you to have more than one color choice or at least warn you that having only one configuration can mean you’ll be waiting indefinitely.

To sum it up, the deposit is not for a physical car and I’m sure most of us are aware. The deposit we place is for the build & preference slot once that’s allocated to the dealership.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #14
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

I mean, if it gets the person the car in a timely manner and they aren't going to be over-charged for it (like a huge markup over MSRP), then what's the difference? 200 bucks? That's barely a payment (depending on your financing) and should be easy enough to be without if you're financially-capable enough of buying the car.

I did the same shit at a Subaru dealer in fall 2016 for a 2017 BRZ with PP before those were being sold and it worked out just fine.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote