follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #43
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Im more impressed about the Rogue outselling so many popular brands, like the Civic. Is Nissan still using those shitty CVTs? If so, that is even more impressive.
Just shows the continued move away from sedans and coupes to crossovers and SUVs as the "new normal" vehicle.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-25-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #44
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Just shows the continued move away from sedans and coupes to crossovers and SUVs as the "new normal" vehicle.

As much as I hate it, I know it is undeniable and unstoppable. I was just thinking yesterday. As much as I would like the GR Corolla. Do I really want to get rid of the BRZ? Is a car that won't be here for long, and it could be my 60s-70s classic as time goes by. To be able to hand off the keys to one of my kids as I hope they share the same passion as me. Or just be that cool uncle with the classic car.
Dadhawk (05-23-2022), wbradley (05-25-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 11:40 PM   #45
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
you know, it could be kind of sad.....
Why buy a Cadillac when you can have the exact same Honda? (assuming they are sharing more than just a platform)

I suppose it'll be like the Toyota/Subaru Bz4X/Solterra and the Lexus RZ450e situation....but then Lexus has differentiated the makes enough so that a Lexus feels like a Lexus and a Toyota feels like a Toyota (as is the case with all the Lexus models that share a platform with its Toyota parent)
I was thinking more along the lines of BMW Supra situation, but I doubt Honda would go that far and be that lazy.

Guess we’ll see, either way I ain’t buying one. I’ve got my eye on the Honda Camaro E2000 instead.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:00 AM   #46
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
As much as I hate it, I know it is undeniable and unstoppable. I was just thinking yesterday. As much as I would like the GR Corolla. Do I really want to get rid of the BRZ? Is a car that won't be here for long, and it could be my 60s-70s classic as time goes by. To be able to hand off the keys to one of my kids as I hope they share the same passion as me. Or just be that cool uncle with the classic car.
BRZ will easily be the “coooooler” car in the future, but they’re also a bit cheaper, and tbh, don’t ever see them becoming expensive in the used market.

The GR Corolla on the other hand.. it’s a 4dr econobox hopped up on multiple drugs ready to eat your first born for breakfast, but, not as cool to the average joe in the future.

Why can’t you have both?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-24-2022), spcmafia (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 AM   #47
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
BRZ will easily be the “coooooler” car in the future, but they’re also a bit cheaper, and tbh, don’t ever see them becoming expensive in the used market.

The GR Corolla on the other hand.. it’s a 4dr econobox hopped up on multiple drugs ready to eat your first born for breakfast, but, not as cool to the average joe in the future.

Why can’t you have both?

I could have both. Im just wondering if the GR will be offered in the 2024. As from what I've heard, 2022 and 2023 are a bust.
Dadhawk (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #48
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of BMW Supra situation, but I doubt Honda would go that far and be that lazy..
From what I've read they aren't being that lazy. They are doing everything above the sled. GM and Honda seem to be in lock step, with Honda and GM partnering on the battery and drive train, but the Honda vehicles themselves will be build by Honda on top of the platform.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #49
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

If anyone needs some "manuals to snooze by" information there's a link to the owner's manual.

No mention of a way to turn off the light show that I saw, but can't say I read every page of it.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:18 PM   #50
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I could have both. Im just wondering if the GR will be offered in the 2024. As from what I've heard, 2022 and 2023 are a bust.
That sucks. It’ll be here before we know it though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-24-2022), spcmafia (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 08:30 AM   #51
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=spcmafia;3524812] As much as I hate it, I know it is undeniable and unstoppable. I was just thinking yesterday. As much as I would like the GR Corolla. Do I really want to get rid of the BRZ? Is a car that won't be here for long, and it could be my 60s-70s classic as time goes by. To be able to hand off the keys to one of my kids as I hope they share the same passion as me. Or just be that cool uncle with the classic car.[/QUOTE

My son is 14.5 and I don't think he would be insurable on the FR-S when he's ready to drive, unless we paid an astronomical amount. Also, it's manual and I can tell he will not be a manual transmission or even a car guy. Plus he'd smash the intercooler which sits 1'" lower in the front. Even I had to adjust to diagonal approach up the driveway or on big speed bumps when the car was modded. Luckily, didn't tear open the air exchanger.

My expectation is that I will have to trade my daily for something automatic that he can use when needed. Probably hybrid, although electric isn't ruled out either. The 2025 Solterra STI might be a consideration in 2 years.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:47 AM   #52
spcmafia

[QUOTE=wbradley;3525374]
Quote:
As much as I hate it, I know it is undeniable and unstoppable. I was just thinking yesterday. As much as I would like the GR Corolla. Do I really want to get rid of the BRZ? Is a car that won't be here for long, and it could be my 60s-70s classic as time goes by. To be able to hand off the keys to one of my kids as I hope they share the same passion as me. Or just be that cool uncle with the classic car.[/QUOTE

My son is 14.5 and I don't think he would be insurable on the FR-S when he's ready to drive, unless we paid an astronomical amount. Also, it's manual and I can tell he will not be a manual transmission or even a car guy. Plus he'd smash the intercooler which sits 1'" lower in the front. Even I had to adjust to diagonal approach up the driveway or on big speed bumps when the car was modded. Luckily, didn't tear open the air exchanger.

My expectation is that I will have to trade my daily for something automatic that he can use when needed. Probably hybrid, although electric isn't ruled out either. The 2025 Solterra STI might be a consideration in 2 years.

No kids for me ATM. I feel like at the rate we are going, he/she will ask me "Dad, why does your car have that stick with numbers on it when my friends car does everything on the dashboard?".

There is still hope for your kid, I taught both my fiance's brothers when they were in High school to drive stick, and they were around the same age, they were also very willing to learn, which I think it's key. Then again handling and driving a Mazda 3 is way different than a BRZ/86, teenagers do tend to act first and then think, more often than adults. Unless I knew my kid took care of things as much as I do, he/she wouldn't be taking the car for a drive.

Last edited by spcmafia; 05-25-2022 at 10:05 AM.
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:15 PM   #53
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
It's unrealistic to expect the next generation of drivers to be petrolheads. More likely cars will simply be an extension of their iPhones.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #54
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=spcmafia;3525378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post

No kids for me ATM. I feel like at the rate we are going, he/she will ask me "Dad, why does your car have that stick with numbers on it when my friends car does everything on the dashboard?".

There is still hope for your kid, I taught both my fiance's brothers when they were in High school to drive stick, and they were around the same age, they were also very willing to learn, which I think it's key. Then again handling and driving a Mazda 3 is way different than a BRZ/86, teenagers do tend to act first and then think, more often than adults. Unless I knew my kid took care of things as much as I do, he/she wouldn't be taking the car for a drive.
How dare you assume it will be a he/she!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #55
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
It's unrealistic to expect the next generation of drivers to be petrolheads. More likely cars will simply be an extension of their iPhones.
I now find it ironic that Lexus tried to create the ultimate isolation chamber with the LS (and by extension any of their more luxury oriented offerings like the ES and RX) and got criticized for being boring, yet now with EV's we are approaching ultimate levels of isolation chambers with the next level of boringness towards cars driving themselves. Smooth, quiet and you can just go to sleep while the car drives you where you want to go.

And Toyota now is the one pushing out the drivers car offerings for the masses.

the world has truly flipped on its head.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:28 PM   #56
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drama continues with ordering (as it is with most cars these days).

I have my confirmed order in, and have the Workbench sheet (the GM version of an order form listing all options). the "option sheet" for the Lyriq is two pages double column long for the standard build.

The car does include SuperCruise, but it will be turned on through a later software update. It's possible by the time I get my car, since its AWD and later build, the software will be active Day 1.

Delivery drama continues though. Apparently there is some weird thing going on with allocation vs preorder. The allocation for a dealer will be a 60/40 spilt between previous sales (60%) and pre-orders (40%).

Problem is the entirety of M2023 build slots are taken by pre-orders supposedly. So, it's possible a dealer wouldn't get as many allocations as they have preorders, you know because simple math was too hard.

The small Cadillac dealer where I selected for my dealer has, according to them, 18 pre-orders! I know they sell a good number of Cadillac SUVs (mostly XT4 and XT5, but some Escalades). It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Cadillac forums I'm jumping into are all up in arms over this with people that have purchased Cadillacs for decades (and sometimes multiple generations) saying if GM screws this up, they'll never purchase a new car from them.