follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDr00 View Post
As someone who just sold his 944 Spec car, I understand the value of safety!

I'll still probably get one for AutoCross. The only thing I can see on the ASM belts is that there's an extra piece of fabric on the shoulder belt ... how does that keep the lower half of your body from moving?!
in case of accident, it releases the extra strap in the padding and lets you move forward a bit so it works even better than the OEM seat belts (according to the below video) and airbags are also functional since you are not pinned in your seat like typical harnesses ..

[ame="http://youtu.be/CS6wof_d1_8"]http://youtu.be/CS6wof_d1_8[/ame]

http://english.schroth.com/racing/technology/asm.php

I also value safety and searched intensively before I made my purchase and as you can see HANS device is still beneficial in both scenarios (OEM vs ASM) and I am planning to get Simpson's Hybrid device
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
I use the Rallye 3 for autocross.

There are a number of organizations however who won't let you use it for HPDE/PDX including the large ones like NASA/SCCA and I believe PCA. Heck the PCA even bans people from using them in autocross sometimes... They only allow 4-point (the Rallye 3 is still considered a 4-point) harnesses if they are specifically made for the car and have a label stating such. They don't really care about the Schroth ASM technology or believe in it.

They require you to have a 5-point harness and then using a 5-point isn't really that smart without a roll bar. Even though they let you run the car with a 5-point and no harness bar...
Another reason not to attend any event with PCA I don't think I am cool enough to attend their elite events seriously though, those guys are joke IMHO, they asked for tech inspection for my brand new 2013 Corvette Grand sport from their authorized inspector and I said yeah whatever to be honest, most of those organizations just want to be look like they are responsible (they don't want to take any responsibility I guess)but when it comes to real safety they are not there..

Also some organizations post some crazy safety requirements (like the newest Snell approved stickers on helmets, tech inspection etc) but when it comes to real safety, they lack to perform the single most important tests such as a broomstick test at the event ..

I don't see the reason why the other organizations wouldn't let you use it though, since it meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS (see above posts)..
Old 07-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
DaDr00

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
in case of accident, it releases the extra strap in the padding and lets you move forward a bit so it works even better than the OEM seat belts (according to the below video) and airbags are also functional since you are not pinned in your seat like typical harnesses ..

I also value safety and searched intensively before I made my purchase and as you can see HANS device is still beneficial in both scenarios (OEM vs ASM) and I am planning to get Simpson's Hybrid device
Yeah, I was rooting for the Rallye 3's inclusion into the rules but, I've been doing some reading today on the NASAForums, and it's specifically banned from HDPE. The rule just changed in 2012, this is the statement from Dave Balingit 2x Regional Director:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....437295#p437295

So apparently there is no harness solution without a harness bar/cage with NASA. Bummer. I'll still get a set for Autocross though.
DaDr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDr00 View Post
Yeah, I was rooting for the Rallye 3's inclusion into the rules but, I've been doing some reading today on the NASAForums, and it's specifically banned from HDPE. The rule just changed in 2012, this is the statement from Dave Balingit 2x Regional Director:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....437295#p437295

So apparently there is no harness solution without a harness bar/cage with NASA. Bummer. I'll still get a set for Autocross though.
well that really sucks and their rules don't make sense at all because it has the certification (not the FIA) and it connects to the same C pillar in every car (universal)..and interestingly they find the harness bar and 4 point solution safer than the proper, DOT approved 3/4 point harness
problem with some organizations, most of the time they don't follow the new technologies/advancements in the industry and stick to the status quo with no logical reason behind

if that is the only organization in your area I would get something like PROFI II ASM FE so you can still retain the OEM seats, since the ASM should help releasing the straps using a harness bar shouldn't be an issue..without the ASM feature I would never use any sort of harness bar though
Old 07-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #19
SimGod

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you get to the rear attachment point?
SimGod is offline   Reply With Quote