follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #379
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SCCA Solo D Street discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
CS soft this year?

I didn't catch the full list at the banquet, but there were national champions that didn't get into the trophies in CS...I wouldn't call that "soft".

Soft as in PAX.

STX needed to run 60.0 to match CS times, given how well CS thrust is, it's a difficult task. I may have been able to get ~60.2-60.3 without mistakes, but even that is a tough task to even match

I was quickest FRS time on west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I'm sorry, what? Who am I attacking? And I never walked past anyone who tried to say hi to me?

You've been trying to get the Camaro out every since I started reading this thread.

Also, you can play innocent. But it occurred and the person and I know about it. Don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #380
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
You've been trying to get the Camaro out every since I started reading this thread.

Also, you can play innocent. But it occurred and the person and I know about it. Don't worry.
I have no idea who or what you're talking about so can we not start something that isn't there?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #381
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Soft as in PAX.
I'm sure the CS pax is not using twins as the benchmark but when I drove a DS twin back to back with my CS twin, I paxed myself easy. Maybe the DS car was setup better than my CS car. (I'm not that good at setup) but in a twin pax-battle, DS was the better place to be. (Me vs me)

And when you say CS thrust, I assume you are talking about the ND?
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #382
Locust
Custom User Title

Slightly off topic but did anyone happen to get a photo or video of my fender liner flying off? I'd love to see it.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #383
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Slightly off topic but did anyone happen to get a photo or video of my fender liner flying off? I'd love to see it.
I didn't even know it happened. Sucks, those things are so fragile. How did you fare at Nats?
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #384
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Anyone get a photo of my Sex Panther Cologne hood poster flying off?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #385
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
I didn't even know it happened. Sucks, those things are so fragile. How did you fare at Nats?
Meh. I thought it was kind of cool that it literally ripped every tab off and sent it flying behind me. That was easily the hardest cone hit I've ever had. Since so much of it was broken I just shoved it underneath the passenger seat for my last run and threw it away after the event. How much do new ones cost anyways?

I did better than I thought I'd do after not being able to race for over a month beforehand. I drove overaggressive on day 2 and moved down instead of up (from 32nd to 35th). Still way better than last year though where I drove horribly both days. My co-driver moved up 7 spots on day 2 and took 11th which was awesome to see. He'd only driven the car at the test and tune course for 4 runs before competition and hadn't driven a twin at all before that.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #386
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I was happy to see Steve was the fastest Twin in DS at Nats.

I will get a chance to run against him again this Sunday.

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #387
race2win

Drives: 2012 Miata
Hey guys, long time member here but have not been on in some time (I have some history in Twins). I heard my name was being mentioned so I came to take a peek

I'm not here to crap up your thread, or defend myself and/or my car (well maybe a little), but felt I needed to set the record straight on a few things. Not in any particular order...

• The recent moves to DS (including the Twins and buried FS cars) had absolutely nothing to do with SSC. Those DS discussions started over 2 years ago, even long before the Camaro 2.0T was known to exist.
  • I assure you the SAC found out about SSC the same way you all did, with Howard Duncan and Brian Connors making the official announcement at the SEB Town Hall. Other than that we only heard rumors. SSC is Howard's baby (much like CAM) and is not on the SAC agenda.
  • Some have mentioned what "fits" in DS, or what the class philosophy is supposed to be. The idea centers around this...Fun to drive sports coupes and sedans, are DD capable and can carry a set of tires, and are semi affordable new (say less than $30K-ish new). The Camaro "fits" this image, as does the WRX, as does the Twins. The CTR certainly pushes the envelope on paper regarding cost and HP/TQ, but it fits the rest of the "image". Also remember it's wrong-wheel-drive.
  • The CTR is NOT currently classed at all, the SAC is still discussing the car and only suggested regions place it in DS for the time being. Yes, I will be driving one in a couple weeks to see how it compares, but FWIW it wont only be against my Camaro...there will be other cars in that test including a Twin (from a trophy winner), a FoRS, an S2K, and possibly a base C5.
  • The SCCA "screwed the pooch" on the ND in CS?? The ND had more cars in attendance than any other model in Street, I'd say that's a success and one to build a class around Bottom line is that Street broke another attendance record this year, I'd like to think the decisions of the SAC and SEB haven't been so bad. Also, the classing of the ND in CS was made BEFORE the exhibition runs took place in 2015, no sandbagging or black helicopters were involved. I'm 99% sure that car was on stock shocks, if you have driven one that way you would understand why it was off the pace.
  • Classing decisions based solely on performance potential only works if the course design stays the same, otherwise you will have huge discrepancies. There is always lots of bench racing about this car being better than that one, but until you drive them back to back it's just that..."bench racing". At least one of you has had the opportunity to drive a Camaro back to back with your car
  • FS did run in cooler temps on Tues/Wed with less rubber laid down, however I'm not completely certain that it was an advantage. We had lots of OPR to deal with, and as the temps rose it definitely got greasy in both the Pro and on Thurs/Fri. Point is that it's always tough to compare different classes that ran on different days in Lincoln, even if this year's weather was so nice.
  • Comparing my times to Daniel in CS is invalid. They were not only in-between gears everywhere, but ran in the heat of the day when the OPR was worst. He pulled off an amazing drive considering the conditions and situation.
  • Des is a great driver - FACT - and completely earned his 5th place trophy based on his driving not the car. I have been co-driving with him for years and there are many times he gets very close to me. For some reason he has traditionally fallen behind more at the big events, but not only has he had a 5th place in the past at Nationals, we worked very hard going over data this year and stepped up bigtime.

Regarding me and my Camaro, I guess being talked about so much is a good thing so thanks Just remember, I made a gamble when buying it, it might have been a complete turd and you all would have been laughing at me for such an oddball purchase (many did in the beginning). I will leave you all with this...

I have notified the rest of the SAC that if they and/or the general membership wants the Camaro 2.0T moved to another class, I will not take part in the vote. If the answer is to move it, I will gladly buy "F" (or "B" or whatever) magnets for my doors and do what's best for the membership.

Edit - Hmmm, I should probably change my signature lol
Edge Motorworks 2013 Subaru BRZ STX #30/130

Special thanks to Edge & Perrin Performance
https://www.facebook.com/EdgeMotorworks
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to race2win For This Useful Post:
blkwrxwag (09-13-2017), Cueman (09-13-2017), G_Ride (09-13-2017), imnotsureaboutbrz (09-13-2017), Locust (09-13-2017), Shark_Bait88 (09-13-2017), strat61caster (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #388
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Get outta here with your logic and rational, Mark! We ain't got no time for that amongst our speculation and interwebz rabbling!
strat61caster (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #389
blkwrxwag

It's refreshing to see a Camaro driver who is so eloquent and well written

*Max - who should stop smack talking after getting his butt kicked at Nats*
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #390
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwrxwag View Post
It's refreshing to see a Camaro driver who is so eloquent and well written

*Max - who should stop smack talking after getting his butt kicked at Nats*
#NexenTire

(Too Soon?)
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #391
blkwrxwag

Well, in their defense, they work fine at El Toro and San Diego. I'm not sure if OPR was a factor and I should have bought tire scraping equipment, but for whatever reason, the car and I were having a fight on course and the car won

Obviously, they worked well for Bryan H. in STU.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #392
ULLLOSE

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwrxwag View Post
Well, in their defense, they work fine at El Toro and San Diego. I'm not sure if OPR was a factor and I should have bought tire scraping equipment, but for whatever reason, the car and I were having a fight on course and the car won

Obviously, they worked well for Bryan H. in STU.
They also seemed to work fine for Zerr who finished 3rd in STU at Natls, and won STU at the Pro finale.
ULLLOSE is offline   Reply With Quote