follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
MichaelHu

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suggestions on Catback with Completely Catless Setup

Hi all,

For those of you who run a catless UEL header and catless front pipe, what catback system do you run and how is it in terms of drone, volume, exhaust note aggressiveness, etc? (sound clips appreciated)

I currently have the Tomei UEL headers and Invidia catless front pipe with Invidia N1 catback, looking to change the catback because the sound this combination makes is not really my cup of tea, so I'm looking to switch the N1 to something less drony while still having a nice clear deep tone.

Every catback I have looked at had quite polarizing reviews though, one review could praise it like it is the best ever and ZERO drone but others will say it drones like crazy and took it off after using it for 30 minutes.... I'm really lost to who to listen to.
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #2
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHu View Post
Hi all,

For those of you who run a catless UEL header and catless front pipe, what catback system do you run and how is it in terms of drone, volume, exhaust note aggressiveness, etc? (sound clips appreciated)

I currently have the Tomei UEL headers and Invidia catless front pipe with Invidia N1 catback, looking to change the catback because the sound this combination makes is not really my cup of tea, so I'm looking to switch the N1 to something less drony while still having a nice clear deep tone.

Every catback I have looked at had quite polarizing reviews though, one review could praise it like it is the best ever and ZERO drone but others will say it drones like crazy and took it off after using it for 30 minutes.... I'm really lost to who to listen to.

will be interested in this thread as I have a gruppe-s UEL catless header and would like to upgrade the catback.

The reason you see so many different reviews on the catback is that A) peoples opinions on sound, pitch, drone ect are wildly subjective and

B) any change at any point in the exhaust is going to effect the noise in different ways. 2 cars that have the same catback setup can sound very different if they have different headers, front pipes, mid pipes, and depending on if things are catted vs uncatted ect.
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,130 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Everyone has different levels of tolerance and what is acceptable. A catless unresonated front pipe will make most setups pretty raspy and more likely to drone.

Currently I am running Gruppe-S header/OP, HKS dual resonated front pipe, OEM catback. Volume levels are perfect for my use, Tone is pretty good, gets tin/raspy below 3000rpm if you nail the throttle, sounds good above that.

The only CB I'd consider at this point is the CSG touring since it was designed to be paired with a catless setup. Tried greddy SP and TRD when I had the stock front pipe, both droned too much below 3000rpm. I am picky with my exhaust though, No drone or bust.
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (06-28-2022), e_lunatic (06-29-2022), norcalpb (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I also vote and ran stock catback when I was full catless n/a. Sounds pretty good

Tags
cat back exhaust, drone, invidia n1