follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
yablonskiy11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car cranks but wont start

I recently bought a BRZ from Copart. There was engine damage whatsoever, the engine is just dirty and a little coroded from oil I'm guessing. When it was time for me to turn her over, it started right away and then it just died on its own. Turned it over again the second time and stayed on. So later on during the week, I decided to take it for a spin and drove around in it with no issues popping up besides a little coolant leak which I fixed after. A few days later I tried starting it up again and it wouldn't start. It cranks and all but it just won't turn over. I've checked the fuel pump/injector fuses all look in good shape. Has anybody had the same issue and has solved it? Or any solutions to the problem?! PLease HELP
yablonskiy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
RichardJ
Senior Member
 
RichardJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 15' FRS
Location: Toronto
Posts: 98
Thanks: 20
Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weak battery?
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Impureclient
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: NPR, Florida
Posts: 2,404
Thanks: 1,802
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,281 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
bad/no/low fuel
camshaft position sensor
crankshaft position sensor
MAF sensor
failing starter
throttle position sensor
clogged fuel filter
no spark
failing fuel pump
bad battery connection

Did you do a thorough search in here under the "Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB" and "Mechanical Maintenance" subforums?

Last edited by Impureclient; 10-25-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:29 AM   #4
Ultramaroon
tea and sympathy
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 30,366
Thanks: 49,297
Thanked 34,195 Times in 17,823 Posts
Mentioned: 1077 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Without an OBDII reader you're just pissing in the wind. Look for the fault codes. Link to the service manuals are in my sig line.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #5
spike021
Senior Member
 
spike021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,395
Thanks: 13,110
Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,952 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yablonskiy11 View Post
I recently bought a BRZ from Copart. There was engine damage whatsoever, the engine is just dirty and a little coroded from oil I'm guessing. When it was time for me to turn her over, it started right away and then it just died on its own. Turned it over again the second time and stayed on. So later on during the week, I decided to take it for a spin and drove around in it with no issues popping up besides a little coolant leak which I fixed after. A few days later I tried starting it up again and it wouldn't start. It cranks and all but it just won't turn over. I've checked the fuel pump/injector fuses all look in good shape. Has anybody had the same issue and has solved it? Or any solutions to the problem?! PLease HELP
To be honest that sounds like when my battery died. Does it seem like yours is the original? If so I'd hazard a guess that it needs to be replaced.
__________________
Instagram: @spike.brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
MCTeeJ
Senior Member
 
MCTeeJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 424
Thanks: 495
Thanked 269 Times in 175 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Everyone's info has been helpful but I'm just gonna throw in the ground bolt on the DI module for good measure.
__________________
MCTeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,228
Thanks: 6,719
Thanked 5,289 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check the "STOP" fuse too. Could be part of the issue.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-25-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #8
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits
 
Sportsguy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: Limited BRZ
Location: Miami
Posts: 10,770
Thanks: 20,004
Thanked 8,342 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Without an OBDII reader you're just pissing in the wind. Look for the fault codes. Link to the service manuals are in my sig line.
The link to service manuals have helped me so much. Thank you!!!

Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:48 AM   #9
Ultramaroon
tea and sympathy
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 30,366
Thanks: 49,297
Thanked 34,195 Times in 17,823 Posts
Mentioned: 1077 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
The link to service manuals have helped me so much. Thank you!!!

I wish I could remember the forum member that set them up in the first place. He's the real hero.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #10
steve99
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: FT86
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,998
Thanks: 1,035
Thanked 4,980 Times in 2,980 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Check the map sensor reads 1 bar or 14psi with ignition on but engine off, if its way differnt map senspr may be faulty this will stop car starting
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:45 AM   #11
yablonskiy11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I GOT HER STARTED!!! I first checked all the fuses to see if they were good and they were, so as I explained before that the cranked normally but wouldn't turn over. I changed my plugs and that wasn't it either. So a few flying wrenches and headbanging minutes later I just thought for some reason. Like, reset the car. I unplugged the negative terminal to the battery and reconnected it back, and the thing turned over!! I am no professional at cars and don't get why it started from that, but I have never come across something like that.

Thank you guys for all of your inputs!
yablonskiy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yablonskiy11 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 29,269
Thanks: 27,753
Thanked 30,564 Times in 15,968 Posts
Mentioned: 696 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yablonskiy11 View Post
I GOT HER STARTED!!! I first checked all the fuses to see if they were good and they were, so as I explained before that the cranked normally but wouldn't turn over. I changed my plugs and that wasn't it either. So a few flying wrenches and headbanging minutes later I just thought for some reason. Like, reset the car. I unplugged the negative terminal to the battery and reconnected it back, and the thing turned over!! I am no professional at cars and don't get why it started from that, but I have never come across something like that.

Thank you guys for all of your inputs!

Thanks for the update.

At least, you now have new spark plugs -

Reminds me of me back-in-the-day with my first computer … the damn thing would get all goofed up, so I would just unplug it - then when I plugged it back in - it was OK. I never understood that either -


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 AM   #13
Donizzz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Cali
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have a question bro! I have a code which is P000B, says timing slow bank 1. Thought it might be cam pos sensor! Do any of y'all know where its located?
Donizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 29,269
Thanks: 27,753
Thanked 30,564 Times in 15,968 Posts
Mentioned: 696 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donizzz View Post
Have a question bro! I have a code which is P000B, says timing slow bank 1. Thought it might be cam pos sensor! Do any of y'all know where its located?
Welcome to our new year forum ..

Although this is over my paygrade, I do believe the FA20 engine has four of them. They are located at the front of the engine at the ends of the camshafts.

They kinda of look like this.

Someone else will be along soon to tell you which ones are which for the intake and exhaust and left or right bank.




humfrz
Attached Images
 
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRZ wont start in hot weather! Coop Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 3 06-28-2018 06:24 PM
Edelbrock Supercharger Install - Will not start, Cranks forever. I'm out of ideas. WinterWolf Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 12 05-26-2018 08:12 AM
Edelbrock Supercharger Install - Will not start, Cranks forever. I'm out of ideas. WinterWolf Forced Induction 2 05-16-2018 05:38 PM
Car wont start? Anyone else? ScionFrsFan Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 150 06-09-2017 10:35 PM
Car Wont Start Up HELP !!*** ScionFR-S Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 20 11-28-2013 02:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.