follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2022, 06:48 PM   #1
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow HELP: BBK or "aftermarket caliper" fitment with 17x7 STI Wheels?

Does anyone know if there is a Big Brake Kit OR just a good aftermarket caliper (with my stock sized rotors) that is compatible with/ can clear the BRZ STI 17X7" OR the OEM 17x7 wheels on a 14' BRZ?

Long story short, I'd like to upgrade the brakes to a BBK but I don't want to switch out the STI wheels I have. I'd also rather not have to size up to the 18" as I'm happy with the wheel and suspension setup. My pads and rotors are already upgraded to street pads and slotted rotors by Stoptech.

I would even entertain a caliper-only upgrade too.

If anyone has been through this or have any recommendations, it would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance, friends!
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:16 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
@jbsali

Refer to this thread for a listing of wheels that are compatible with/clear the PP BBK Brembos: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135328
  • If these "BRZ STI" wheels that you mention were the same ones offered with the BRZ TS, then they should have a good chance of fitting right out of the box
If you have a BBK system in mind, you can often print out a specifically-made template that represents the outline of the brake system. You can take this print-out, cut it on cardboard, and lay it against your wheel to check if the brakes clear the wheel design. The above thread has a link to a PDF template of the PP brakes, for example

With regard to BBK systems that clear the Base OEM 17x7 wheels out of the box, I know of:
  1. Project Mu BBK 315mm (FS4M Caliper)
  2. AP Racing "Factory" BBK 332mm (CP6628 caliper)
The problem with these two kits (and other specialty kits) is often limited selection of brake pads and rotors. The benefit of the Brembo system that comes on the PP is that the rotor and pads are common across a variety of cars, so selection options are much better.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 07-15-2022 at 07:13 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #3
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
If these "BRZ STI" wheels that you mention were the same ones offered with the BRZ TS, then they should have a good chance of fitting right out of the box[/LIST]
As op stated he has 17x7 STI wheels which were dealer option available in US iirc. TS (the OG from 13' or 14') came with 17x7,5 wheel which you can get from STI parts catalogue ad the later 18'+ TS came with 18x7,5 wheel. The only caliper upgrade which I can think of that should fit 17x7 STI wheel is WRX 4-pot. Can't speak how much of performance upgrade it really is but it should be easy to source and fit to his existing setup + it shouldn't disrupt current brake bias.
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #4
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkubi View Post
As op stated he has 17x7 STI wheels which were dealer option available in US iirc. TS (the OG from 13' or 14') came with 17x7,5 wheel which you can get from STI parts catalogue ad the later 18'+ TS came with 18x7,5 wheel. The only caliper upgrade which I can think of that should fit 17x7 STI wheel is WRX 4-pot. Can't speak how much of performance upgrade it really is but it should be easy to source and fit to his existing setup + it shouldn't disrupt current brake bias.
@jbsali

Thanks, that's certainly confusing. There seems to be a few versions with the same face style like you mentioned:
  1. The 17x7.0 that came on the Series Blue (unknown if it will fit PP BBK),
  2. The 17x7.5 that is the Japanese-market STI catalog wheel (PP BBK fit confirmed)
  3. The 18x7.5 that came on BRZ tS (came included on PP BBK equipped cars).
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #5
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
Does anyone know if there is a Big Brake Kit OR just a good aftermarket caliper (with my stock sized rotors) that is compatible with/ can clear the BRZ STI 17X7" OR the OEM 17x7 wheels on a 14' BRZ?

Long story short, I'd like to upgrade the brakes to a BBK but I don't want to switch out the STI wheels I have. I'd also rather not have to size up to the 18" as I'm happy with the wheel and suspension setup. My pads and rotors are already upgraded to street pads and slotted rotors by Stoptech.

I would even entertain a caliper-only upgrade too.

If anyone has been through this or have any recommendations, it would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance, friends!

Our AP Racing by Essex Sprint Brake Kit should fit behind the STI wheels (Subaru OEM STI Wheels (2004) 17x7.5 +53). We have it listed in our confirmed fitments. Our system has been proven a thousand times from daily driving to endurance racing. It is inexpensive in the grand scheme of brake kits and brutally effective.

Sprint Kit can be seen here:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...0299brzfrsgt86

There are many reviews of our system here on the forum and on our blog: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Here is the wheel fitment chart so you can double check your current wheels. You should always check your specific wheels prior to pulling the trigger on a brake kit, as we have seen some variance in wheel dimensions.

https://www.essexparts.com/storage/w...l_template.pdf

Here is our list of confirmed wheel fitments:

Confirmed wheels that fit without a spacer:

OEM Performance Pack Wheels

The wheels below will fit with a spacer of the specified thickness:

• 2013+ USDM OEM BRZ or FR-S front wheels, 10mm spacer
  • BBS RK 17x7 +48, needs 10mm spacer
  • Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35, needs 3mm spacer
  • Kosei K4R 17x7 +50, needs 5mm spacer
  • OEM NZDM Gt86 (by Enkei)16x6.5 +48, needs at least 8mm spacer
  • SSR type-c 16x7 +48, needs 5mm spacer
  • Volk Racing TE37 18x7.5 +48, needs 5mm spacer