follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sprintex Questions

Ok I have a few questions for the Sprintex Guru's out there and one thats well..., just because I miss having a feature of my turbo setup.

Current Setup is a 210 on E85 no Intercooler tuned by Moto-East on the 70mm Raceseng Pulley.
Car has basically every mod I felt would be helpful from the Long tube EL Header, 3" From the Header Back Exhaust, All of Perrins Lightweight Pulleys, Lightweight Flywheel, Lightweight Single Piece driveshaft, AiRaid Intake with Modified Snorkle, upgraded injectors etc.
Basically I originally intended to stay NA this time around after my prior issues when I turbo'd but I couldn't resist so I went with the Sprintex so I couldn't be tempted to keep turning up the boost.

I am having fun with the car again but a few things worry me and I want to address them.

1) Underhood temps with no Intercooler are a lot warmer than I like esp in the Desert. I know the E85 corrects this once it get's to the engine but well I just don't like how hot it is. However Mike warned me the Intercooler might just be more of a restriction then a help for the costs and I should look into other ways to reduce engine bay temps since it bothers me... so I am looking for some help brainstorming practical ways.
So far all I have come up with is a CF Hood with the Sub Style Scoop.

2) I have been keeping an eye on the oil and things seem fine so far, but the other thing I was told to watch for was the bolts around the SC breaking. Since mine is an older Innnovate Kit (I did just buy it recently brand new but it had obviously been sitting) I want to know how many of you have had this issue.
I see mention of it in the big thread but there are so many different topics in there it is hard to find the information you need.

3) I saw a few changed the main charge pipe, I have not seen this option from any vendors and have thought about making my own but I am worried about making the heat soak worse. Are there any options from vendors right now that I may have over looked?

4) There was talk of AiRaid making a longer connector to connect the air box with the charge pipe. I made a make shift one thinking I would just buy that but I wanted to check into the charge pipe and this all at once. Well now I am ready, any word on who is selling this as I don't see any mention of that so far.

5) The Surpcharger is a lot quieter than I expected. I was hoping for that whine but I guess that is not going to happen. Being used to the Turbo setup's BOV I have started wondering if there is anything I can do to with this kit. This is more of just a novelty but I wouldn't mind having it. (Obviously you cannot run a BOV on this setup so I am asking for other options others might have found)

Thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
1. Ceramic coating of either the rotors or the entire housing

2. Never had that problem on mine (210 intercooled)

3. See answer 1

4. Air intake boxes really dont make sense, the stock intake is good for 300 hp and if you're going to swap, just put the airfilter out of the engine bay

5. MCM answered this here: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00LPlHDP98Q"]Fake Blow Off Valve Honda Civic - YouTube[/ame]
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah not sure that MCM Answer would be something I want lol. But it is funny.

Your #1 answer to #3 talk about coating but not which Vendor was making or selling a different Intake Tube for the car besides the stock one.

Delicious and many others seem to rave about the AiRaid setup and prefer it. Since I already had it I see no reason to remove it.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
ybotspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
Yeah not sure that MCM Answer would be something I want lol. But it is funny.

Your #1 answer to #3 talk about coating but not which Vendor was making or selling a different Intake Tube for the car besides the stock one.

Delicious and many others seem to rave about the AiRaid setup and prefer it. Since I already had it I see no reason to remove it.
What I'm saying in #3 is if you're worried about heat soak, it can be handled by ceramic coating. Ideally, if you have an infrared gun, the closer to the back of the supercharger you go the closer to ambient the temperature should be. Sprintex 210's are rated to 300F ish, but you shouldnt really be above 225F. What I'm saying is sure, go with the airraid, your blower in this case is the primary source of heatsoak and if it's above 225 you have other problems that you should consider addressing... (Spent way too much time on the phone with Jon Bond and in small doses @SprintexUSA)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
SprintexUSA

Drives: 2014 FT86
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We really recommend an intercooler in hot climates. That's the ultimate fix for discharge temps from the blower.

If you have upgraded at all to a bigger radiator, make sure it's completely burped.
SprintexUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SprintexUSA For This Useful Post:
ybotspawn (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
ybotspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintexUSA View Post
We really recommend an intercooler in hot climates. That's the ultimate fix for discharge temps from the blower.

If you have upgraded at all to a bigger radiator, make sure it's completely burped.
This too.