follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #29
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for putting all this together. Makes me feel like I was part of the event. I like your criticisms which give so much info without much fluff. More insight than most reviews I've seen out there.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #30
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Thanks for putting all this together. Makes me feel like I was part of the event. I like your criticisms which give so much info without much fluff. More insight than most reviews I've seen out there.
Thanks, I try to be honest as I can and more depth info
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #31
Verge

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hey ichi, we saw some of the accessories that were listed but did scion mention any other things that havent been mentioned yet? For example trd kit? XD LOL
Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #32
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Hey ichi, we saw some of the accessories that were listed but did scion mention any other things that havent been mentioned yet? For example trd kit? XD LOL
I try to listen to the long & boring presentation... but I kinda lost it here and there (hey it was early morning). As for the accessories, they're releasing accessories little by little. As of right now, those are the ones... but in 6~9 months they might add more accessories... so they said
Old 04-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #33
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ichitaka, how many people were invited to drive the car so extensively? On the first 86 trip we each got about 5 minutes.. You mustve had a blast! Totally jealous
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #34
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Great review and awesome blog.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #35
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you for all of your efforts, Ichi! It shows how much time and effort you put in, and to compile it together for all of us to take in is just awesome.

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #36
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Good to hear about the transmissions.

So the AT came across as crisp as the MT? I've always hated that difference, a manual always feels crisp and responsive after a shift, like the chassis just lights up and responds immediately whereas ATs usually feel numb during transition.

During your track / autoX driving, did you find yourself using manual mode more than the auto mode? I'm more trying to understand how intrusive the programming for the auto is. Did it seem to follow along and shift as you wanted while driving, or did it sometimes refuse to downshift when you felt it was necessary? Did it try to upshift during a corner due to revs or will it bang off the limiter for a short while? I think it's supposed to actually do that when sensing lateral G's, but I'd like to know of your experience as I do plan to get into AutoX or local track days with this car.

This review certainly makes my transmission choice no easier lol.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #37
keiri
Toyobaru Wonder Twins™

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ PP
Garage
Great review Ichi!

I was completely sold on this being my first manual car without reservation but your review makes it sound like I should give the AT a chance before making my decision.
keiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Yes, it's DGM. blue color-ish thing might be just my photo skill. As you can tell, I'm not great photographer. lol But it's really Dark Grey color
Ah ok, your photos are great. It's just nice to see that the DGM reacts differently under different lighting. In all the other photos of it it's just been gray indoors and slighty lighter gray outdoors lol.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #39
Yobiwan

Drives: Toyota 86 Turbo, Lexus NX300H
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
あなたの試乗をハングルに翻訳して韓国に紹介します。
良い文ありがとうございます。 ( ahhh I write this by google translator)
Thank you for your great review .
Yobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #40
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
Ichitaka, how many people were invited to drive the car so extensively? On the first 86 trip we each got about 5 minutes.. You mustve had a blast! Totally jealous
I'm not sure. There were wave 1 and wave 2. I was in wave 2 and there, we had about 16~20 ppl (I think). We were at the track about give or take about 4hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
Good to hear about the transmissions.

So the AT came across as crisp as the MT? I've always hated that difference, a manual always feels crisp and responsive after a shift, like the chassis just lights up and responds immediately whereas ATs usually feel numb during transition.

During your track / autoX driving, did you find yourself using manual mode more than the auto mode? I'm more trying to understand how intrusive the programming for the auto is. Did it seem to follow along and shift as you wanted while driving, or did it sometimes refuse to downshift when you felt it was necessary? Did it try to upshift during a corner due to revs or will it bang off the limiter for a short while? I think it's supposed to actually do that when sensing lateral G's, but I'd like to know of your experience as I do plan to get into AutoX or local track days with this car.

This review certainly makes my transmission choice no easier lol.
I know that you mean by numb. Duz of short gear ratio, it numb is pretty much gone and respond quickly. If you have a chance to do several laps, D-Mode will let you learn the course.

I used Drive mode or Manual mode more? Hm... Evenly. I had about 4~5 around (4 laps each) and trying to figure out the difference of Drive mode and Manual mode and, TBH I couldn't tell the difference. When you're comfy w course put it in M-Mode to make it feel like you're on control of gears... but from my experience time is about same Maybe MAYBE .1~.5 sec difference faster w M-Mode. Now, we were using only first and second gear (& third accidentally), and me & Moto-san notice that sometimes in Manual mode it'll not downshift to first gear. Maybe cuz we were too high up in speed. But without joke, AT might get better time if you're beginner to mid level skill auox'er. Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiri View Post
Great review Ichi!

I was completely sold on this being my first manual car without reservation but your review makes it sound like I should give the AT a chance before making my decision.
Same here. I was totally going for MT... til drove AT. I seriously underestimated AT. You drive both and decide. I'll give you an example: Iida Akia first order MT tranny, but after driving both MT & AT, he notice how awesome AT is, he changed the order to AT. Not because MT sucked, but how close AT came to MT level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
Ah ok, your photos are great. It's just nice to see that the DGM reacts differently under different lighting. In all the other photos of it it's just been gray indoors and slighty lighter gray outdoors lol.
Oh trust me, you wanna see all the color in person. Cuz some of official pics and my pics just don't the justify it. Seriously, go see in person is the best way to decide on the color choice.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #41
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
thanks for the great in-depth review!

Could you elaborate on the MT shifter feel? I know when edmunds tested the BRZ they noted the 1-2 shift didn't like to be rushed, did you encounter that issue as well?

Thanks again!
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #42
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
thanks for the great in-depth review!

Could you elaborate on the MT shifter feel? I know when edmunds tested the BRZ they noted the 1-2 shift didn't like to be rushed, did you encounter that issue as well?

Thanks again!
I haven't driven a lot of MT, but it felt same as other 6MT tranny... maybe lil bit on stiff side, but I kinda like that feeling. I've down shifted smoothly. Also at the event, only time I need to shift 2>1 was in the city (stopping at the light). I didn't have any problem at all.