follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
Vinsanity091

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BBK purchasing question

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I did some forum searching and couldn't find this question answered anywhere yet.

When purchasing a BBK from AP Racing for instance, how many wheels are covered by the BBK? Are they divided up one kit/wheel, one kit for either the front wheels or rear wheels, or are all four wheels covered by a single kit?

Example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.stillen.com/product/brake...0r-141786.html

I notice that it says front kit on the website, but how would you go about getting a rear kit if this is front wheel specific only? Also, I'm not sure if front kit does in fact mean the front wheels. Sorry if there is a really obvious answer, but I'm new to learning about brakes and I'm looking to upgrade so I wanna make sure I get it right. Thanks!
Vinsanity091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
front kit usually means both front wheels. rear kit is both rear wheels. to buy the rear brakes, look for a rear brake kit. you should probably keep in mind whether or not you want the e-brake since some "race" BBK's might get rid of the e-brake

however, you would probably benefit more from upgraded pads and fluids (maybe braided lines) rather than a full on BBK. the BBK is more for pure track racing or the bling factor. most people have their needs met with upgraded pads and fluids/lines for the occasional track day
Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Kits are generally done per axle.

If you purchase a front BBK, it's for both front wheels. If you purchase a rear BBK, it's for both rear wheels.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Rafi@RR-racing

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity091 View Post
I apologize if this has already been answered, but I did some forum searching and couldn't find this question answered anywhere yet.

When purchasing a BBK from AP Racing for instance, how many wheels are covered by the BBK? Are they divided up one kit/wheel, one kit for either the front wheels or rear wheels, or are all four wheels covered by a single kit?

Example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.stillen.com/product/brake...0r-141786.html

I notice that it says front kit on the website, but how would you go about getting a rear kit if this is front wheel specific only? Also, I'm not sure if front kit does in fact mean the front wheels. Sorry if there is a really obvious answer, but I'm new to learning about brakes and I'm looking to upgrade so I wanna make sure I get it right. Thanks!

A lot of BBK manufacturers do not even have rear kits. I could be mistaken, but I don't think Stillen ever developed a rear application, which shows you how serious they are about developing brakes for the BRZ.

We have 6 different BBK options, including rear as well. All have been track tested and our 6 piston front, 4 piston rear combo is about the same price as Stillen 6 piston fronts only.

http://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/130.htm

thanks!

Rafi
Rafi@RR-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Any option of dust boots for DD usage?

Thanks.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Any option of dust boots for DD usage?

Thanks.

Hi... I can assure you that the lack of dust boots is a non-issue. None of Wilwood street focused BBK's use dust boots, and I have not heard of any issues. In fact, the Forged Narrow Superlite 6R calipers we use in our Stage I and III kits are powder coated, and are primarily geared for street use with occasional track use. Powder coating (whether on Wilwood's, Brembo's, AP's, etc) does not hold up well to track use as it will literally melt over 350-400 deg. F.

In some ways the lack of dust boots reduces maintenance if you ever track your car... as the rubber dust boots either melt or dry up and crack. Our shop IS-F has Brembo Calipers and we have had to service the dust boots a few times, and its not cheap!

-Rafi
The Following User Says Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
How about on winter driven cars in snowy climates (Canada)? Would you recommend calipers without dust boots in the winter (with salt)?
Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
How about on winter driven cars in snowy climates (Canada)? Would you recommend calipers without dust boots in the winter (with salt)?

Based on our own experience and those of others, we know of no issues with Wilwood boot-less calipers when driven on the street and even in winter/salt environments.

It is good practice to power wash your car frequently in winter, including the calipers. Also, when changing pads, clean everything very thoroughly and do not simply shove the pistons back in when they are dirty. Basic maintenance will result in years of trouble free service.

If you ever need to replace seals, we have seal replacement kits for the 6 piston calipers that run only $15 per caliper.

Found this thread on the Corvette forums that confirms our experience.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ust-boots.html