follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
joelwastaken

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
joelwastaken's 2015 FR-S

Hey all! So I've been lurking the forums for forever and am finally now just making my first post. Long story short, I'd been following this car since the concept days and couldn't help but dream about owning one once I started seeing them out on the roads, but just couldn't justify buying one at the time. It had almost all the criteria I wanted in a car (lightweight, RWD, driver oriented, simple design aesthetic, Japanese, MT, decent gas mileage, decent power, fun to drive, fits me/all my music gear with ease, etc). Then finally in July 2015 I found myself in the right situation to buy one and went out picked up a 6MT Scion FR-S brand new and have been loving it ever since. It's definitely not perfect, but it's a great car and there really still isn't much out there I'd rather have.

As far as what kind of driving I do goes, pretty windy mountain roads are my happy place. And this thing is a danged ballerina with that stuff. I bought this thing to drive it and mannnn do I and have I had many glorious motoring moments with it.

Mods list:

Engine/Exhaust/Transmission:
- Perrin Drop-In
- Perrin Inlet Tube
- Gruppe-S UEL Header (DEI Titanium wrapped)
- Custom Tune via Tor/Ecuflash (Huge shoutout to @Tor for helping me out with that by the way. Amazing dude to work with if you're looking for an E-tuning solution if you have the Gruppe-S header)
- JDL Oil Cooler
- MTEC Clutch Return Spring

Suspension/Brakes:
- 2017 BRZ PP Sachs Shocks
- RCE Yellows
- Whiteline Camber Bolts

Interior:
- RedlineGoods tan leather wrapped interior pieces/shift boot
- 3D MAXpider gray carpet floor mats

Exterior:
- ProTEKt bumper skid plate
- Custom swirly paint pattern via $3 car washes
- Approx. 900,000 front bumper rock chips
- Big 'ol dent in my FR quarter from what it looks like was probably some kid crashing their bike into my car the first month I got the car

Future Stuff:
- Upholstery (Katzkins "autumn" on seats and etc. wrapped pieces)
- Rear seat delete/diet plan
- New front bumper. Mine needs a do-over.
- Some 5-spoke Rays
- Wrap or paint Mint Green/Teal'ish

Last edited by joelwastaken; 04-18-2018 at 03:14 AM.
joelwastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
joelwastaken

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Picked up a 2017 BRZ PP suspension and some RCE yellows and got them installed. Also finally installed the MTEC clutch return spring. OMG. IDK why I waited so long to install it. Oh wait. Wait yes I do. I'm a tall man with long limbs and fitting in the footwell and doing surgery type things with tiny clips and such in said tiny footwell did not sound like a pleasant experience. And it was not lol. But I'm glad I did and everything's feeling dialed in at the moment.

I just went for a cruise out to the road to Young aka the 288 (probably the best kept secret in roads in AZ) and everything feels great. Can't recommend the clutch return spring enough, car is feeling super eager/planted, and the tune from @Tor is feeling amazing. Next stop is the interior. I think I'm actually going to do the whole thing in the Katzkins color "autumn."
joelwastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joelwastaken For This Useful Post:
Tor (04-18-2018), Vin (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks Joel. Glad you enjoy it! I'm happy with the result too. I'll allow myself to post a screenshot from the last log you sent to illustrate. AFR on point and very low WOT fuel trims:

Car looks great!
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote