follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Intake Install and Tune

Installed the Skunk2 Powerbox. Not a bad install, took about 3 hours.. I dropped one of the MAF screws so I had to take the whole damn skid plate off to get it... Fuel (e85 tune) trims look good. I'll be doing a MAF rescale/custom tune here in the next couple weeks with a local subaru tuner so I can take the interior baffle out for more air flow.

Didn't get to drive it yet as I finished later than anticipated..

Updates after custom tune to follow.
Attached Images

czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to czellers For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (02-20-2021), Drifter X (02-20-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:35 AM   #2
wil5bart

Drives: '16 BRZ
Nice mod. Keep us posted.
wil5bart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wil5bart For This Useful Post:
czellers (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #3
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
That intake requires an horrible MAF scaling, specially if you remove the restrictor
if you remove it, you ll gain something in higher rpm but will be too turbolent around the maf and will require a hybrid Speed density tune and a lot of time and logs to make the car run smoothly
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
That intake requires an horrible MAF scaling, specially if you remove the restrictor
if you remove it, you ll gain something in higher rpm but will be too turbolent around the maf and will require a hybrid Speed density tune and a lot of time and logs to make the car run smoothly
Restrictor is currently in now (will be until I get over to my local tuner next month and ill let them decide based on what they see).

What i can tell you is the real time data (STFT/LTFT) looks normal. it runs good at low rpm and WOT. Ill pull a data logging file here in the next couple days to see whats up.

When you say that even with the restrictor it requires horrible MAF scaling and or air turbulence, how have you measured/logged or determined that? Im sure that the removal of the restrictor would necessitate MAF re-scaling but the turbulence and MAF scaling with the restrictor seems intriguing. Ill be happy to share a log file hopefully today or tomorrow if you'd be interested in seeing what it looks like with the OFT stage2+e85 tune tomei UEL header and matching diameter catless overpipe.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
Ill be happy to share a log file hopefully today or tomorrow if you'd be interested in seeing what it looks like with the OFT stage2+e85 tune tomei UEL header and matching diameter catless overpipe.
Not sure what you mean here. A catless header or a catless front pipe because all overpipes are catless I believe.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

When you say that even with the restrictor it requires horrible MAF scaling and or air turbulence, how have you measured/logged or determined that? Im sure that the removal of the restrictor would necessitate MAF re-scaling but the turbulence and MAF scaling with the restrictor seems intriguing. Ill be happy to share a log file hopefully today or tomorrow if you'd be interested in seeing what it looks like with the OFT stage2+e85 tune tomei UEL header and matching diameter catless overpipe.
Log RPM, engine load, MAF voltage.

Even at the same RPM and close to the same engine load you will get MAF voltages that are inconsistent since the air hitting the MAF is turbulent.
czellers (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
Not sure what you mean here. A catless header or a catless front pipe because all overpipes are catless I believe.
Typo.. Matching diameter overpipe, muffler delete and catless front pipe. basically the only point of restriction I has is one resonator.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Log RPM, engine load, MAF voltage.

Even at the same RPM and close to the same engine load you will get MAF voltages that are inconsistent since the air hitting the MAF is turbulent.
Ill be sure to look at that/post the results of a fully warm pull later.
The Following User Says Thank You to czellers For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #9
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Restrictor is currently in now (will be until I get over to my local tuner next month and ill let them decide based on what they see).

What i can tell you is the real time data (STFT/LTFT) looks normal. it runs good at low rpm and WOT. Ill pull a data logging file here in the next couple days to see whats up.

Well i tuned it for a friend's car and took me some time to have a good scaling, that gave good trims both in closed and in open loop and made the car smooth

WIth the restrictor yes, it's more stable but not as much as stock airbox and I put anywat a bit of hybrid speed density because Maf-only was inconsistent af

If you arrived to a nice compromise, i m happy for you. Be aware that if you remove the restictor though you'll have a fun time with it if you don't set some speed density up
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote