follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
jeschris45

Drives: Yellow FR-S Rs 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update on Auto Boosted Miles and Issues

Hi Everyone, I am about to go the forced induction route for my frs with the automatic transmission. I have seen old posts but wanted to get an update from everyone how the auto transmission is holding up with boost in our cars who has boosted before. I am planning on keeping it most likely 300whp or little under 300whp. It would be great if everyone could post how many boosted miles and/or if any issues you had.
jeschris45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschris45 View Post
Hi Everyone, I am about to go the forced induction route for my frs with the automatic transmission. I have seen old posts but wanted to get an update from everyone how the auto transmission is holding up with boost in our cars who has boosted before. I am planning on keeping it most likely 300whp or little under 300whp. It would be great if everyone could post how many boosted miles and/or if any issues you had.
I have the Edelbrock SC on my AT 2017 GT86. Currently it's with the 3.25" pulley (about 10psi) and tuned by Delicious Tuning while everything else about the cars engine and exhaust is still stock minus the cat back exhaust.

With a good header and tune, 300whp is a reachable number even on 91 octane.

As far as reliability goes, for my experience there haven't been any unnecessary/unexpected setbacks so far and I've been running 13k miles boosted.

If you're looking for both power and reliability with a setup that still drives similarly to NA then look into this supercharger kit.

Otherwise I'm sure there are others with turbo builds that can tell you their stories. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
jeschris45

Drives: Yellow FR-S Rs 1.0
@ThatAsianBradah, Thank you for that information. I had bought a turbo kit and I know I can easily make 300 whp at 10 psi. But I was thinking about running 8 or 9 psi and sacrifice a bit of power for reliability. For me I dont mind sacrificing a bit of power for more reliability. Main concern I have is the tranny lol
jeschris45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschris45 View Post
@ThatAsianBradah, Thank you for that information. I had bought a turbo kit and I know I can easily make 300 whp at 10 psi. But I was thinking about running 8 or 9 psi and sacrifice a bit of power for reliability. For me I dont mind sacrificing a bit of power for more reliability. Main concern I have is the tranny lol
The AT trannies have pretty good durability. JDL, Full-blown, AVO, Greddy, and SBD400X turbo kits are what some of my friends have on our cars and they've had good experiences with them overall. We are all pushing 240-300whp at the moment with no signs of heavy wear and tear.

We just have to maintain oil/brakes/tires and the other mundane stuff with more care. Other than that, good driving! 👍

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Almost 20k miles boosted here at 270whp and 220tq. No issues. Just make sure you change the tranny and diff fluid a bit more often and with quality fluids, not just the oem.

Tags
automatic frs, forced induction, reliability, transmission