follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Steamy

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Common Engine/Transmission issues after 100k

Hello,

Apologize if there is already a thread related to this. I bought my FRS a few weeks ago and it has over 100k miles on the bad boy. Clean title, no accidents reported and two owners...

Just curious to see what issues ya'll have run into or if you have any tips for what to check on or look for after the 100k mark.

Like I said, I apologize if there is a thread already about this subject.
Steamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Just typical maintenance. Spark plugs, serpentine belt, making sure the fluids are all properly cycled... Beyond that, I don't think there's anything specific to this platform/engine that sticks out. Yay for timing chain!

I would suggest replacing all fluids- oil, transmission, differential. Even if the seller says they did, you'll only know for sure if you do it. Check the serpentine belt for cracking, check all 4 tires for uneven wearing/balding. Address as necessary and enjoy!
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-11-2020), JesseG (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's mostly the usual stuff as posted above. Also, want to make sure spark plugs were changed which can be a bear on this car. If the transmission is shifting smoothly you're pretty much golden.
JesseG (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Steamy

Alright, all of that sounds pretty straight forward to me! I appreciate the quick reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steamy For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have 150k miles and nothing wrong with the engine and 6 speed manual transmission. This thing lasts longer than other Subaru’s, that’s for sure.
norcalpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Check the maintenance schedule. That is about it.
alphasaur (06-11-2020), Dadhawk (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Only "engine issue" I have is it seems to be getting progressively better gas mileage than when I first bought it 8 years and 160,000+ miles ago.

As others said, keep up the standard maintenance and you shouldn't have any issues. If you weren't given maintenance records probably worth making sure the next few are done on-time and complete.

Also, @Steamy, there's a lot of good threads and information on here, but some that's a little "sky is falling" as well. What year is your FRS?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #8
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Steamy

Flex from the transmission mount, if the car has done peel-outs and bogged deep. Mine was banging around at 90k miles and making it hard to shift. Put in a whiteline transmission insert and it fixed a lot of issues with drivetrain lash - and improved response. And also recently bought a new transmission mount to put in to freshen things up at 130k miles, should be crisp.

Rear shift-stop deteriorating, gets boogered up and makes shifts into 1st, 3rd, 5th feel bad. This is fixed with the Perrin rear shift stop, part of the "positive shift kit" which also includes the above mentioned whiteline transmission insert.

Throw-out bearing wear. On my 3rd TOB, the latest being a revised part which should last longer?

Rear drivetrain lash from worn mounts. Banging differential. I'm hoping that whiteline inserts on the differential and subframe should tighten things up.

Wheel studs shearing off one after another after ~4 years. I upgraded to ARP wheel studs.

Alternator could have excessive wear depending on conditions. I've heard of a few premature alternator failures. Important because the electric power steering runs directly off the alternator. I'm going to test mine soon because it's something I'm concerned about.

Last edited by radroach; 06-11-2020 at 11:19 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
Steamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Only "engine issue" I have is it seems to be getting progressively better gas mileage than when I first bought it 8 years and 160,000+ miles ago.

As others said, keep up the standard maintenance and you shouldn't have any issues. If you weren't given maintenance records probably worth making sure the next few are done on-time and complete.

Also, @Steamy, there's a lot of good threads and information on here, but some that's a little "sky is falling" as well. What year is your FRS?
I got a 2013 FRS with 130k miles. I took it to one of my guys the other day to give it a little inspection. Everything was fine except the left rear strut is leaking. The battery needed to be replace. Alignment in the front was needed and my rear tires tread was getting pretty bad. Not to shabby. Also my FRS is an AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steamy For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy View Post
I got a 2013 FRS with 130k miles. I took it to one of my guys the other day to give it a little inspection. Everything was fine except the left rear strut is leaking. The battery needed to be replace. Alignment in the front was needed and my rear tires tread was getting pretty bad. Not to shabby. Also my FRS is an AM.
Welcome to the club!

Depending on your VIN, there is a valve spring recall that is discussed ad nauseum on here. If you don't know if you are impacted you could check it at the NTSB site here.

That should also tell you if has been reported as completed on your vehicle.

If it hasn't been done, I think most folks would suggest you not get it done. Since the car has over 130,000 miles on it its not likely you will have an issue. Technically, a later failure is covered by the recall anyway, although it may be problematic to prove what caused the failure.

If you do decide to get it done, make sure the mechanic has done it before and that they have had no reported failures afterwards.

I did have mine done early on at it has been fine. Others, as you will see on here, have not been as fortunate.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
Steamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Welcome to the club!

Depending on your VIN, there is a valve spring recall that is discussed ad nauseum on here. If you don't know if you are impacted you could check it at the NTSB site here.

That should also tell you if has been reported as completed on your vehicle.

If it hasn't been done, I think most folks would suggest you not get it done. Since the car has over 130,000 miles on it its not likely you will have an issue. Technically, a later failure is covered by the recall anyway, although it may be problematic to prove what caused the failure.

If you do decide to get it done, make sure the mechanic has done it before and that they have had no reported failures afterwards.

I did have mine done early on at it has been fine. Others, as you will see on here, have not been as fortunate.
The paper work I received with the vehicle didn't say anything about going in for the recall, which I am more than happy about. I did a little research about it before buying the car. There were a few I looked at that had it done and decided to pass them up.