follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #71
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quick question for you folks. In full Manual mode will the AT allow you to down shift into a gear that's too low therefore run the likely risk of blowing your motor? This is real risk when aggressively driving an MT but i'm 99.9% sure the AT ECU has provisions to prevent this.

This is a long shot request.. has anyone been monitoring temps in the AT?
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #72
hav0c

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited (AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Picked up AT BRZ last night, after some debate. I've owned several manuals and planned to avoid AT until test driving FR-S AT a few weeks back. That made up my mind. This is different from any other automatic I've driven.

I can still pick & hold a gear, it shifts faster than I can, and it's quieter at highway speeds. For my particular situation - long commute (140 miles) - I'm thrilled to have a car I can leave in 'Camry Mode' while sitting in traffic.

I don't care much about 1/4 mile time or dyno charts so I don't think the (minor) powerloss vs MT will bother me. If those things bothered me I probably would have gone for a different vehicle in the first place.
hav0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #73
Jayp

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nope, it won't let you downshift into a gear that would redline your motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
Quick question for you folks. In full Manual mode will the AT allow you to down shift into a gear that's too low therefore run the likely risk of blowing your motor? This is real risk when aggressively driving an MT but i'm 99.9% sure the AT ECU has provisions to prevent this.

Jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #74
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayp View Post
Nope, it won't let you downshift into a gear that would redline your motor.
Thanks for confirming. Another Win for the automatic in my book. It would have been interesting if they incorporated launch control - i'm sure it's in the works for future models.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #75
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. Another Win for the automatic in my book. It would have been interesting if they incorporated launch control - i'm sure it's in the works for future models.
I guess that's nice. I've never cooked an engine like that in my life, though, driving a manual, and I've driven them plenty aggressively.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #76
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
clutch or nothing, the end
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #77
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
I guess that's nice. I've never cooked an engine like that in my life, though, driving a manual, and I've driven them plenty aggressively.
I've never either but even the best of us is one notch away from a mishift at the wrong time. In my older years.. I don't want to think as much on the track. I'd rather work on having a higher avg speed thru the course and work on my lines.
When you're younger it's more fun and you don't realize how slow you really are too.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #78
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Quote:
I've never either but even the best of us is one notch away from a mishift at the wrong time. In my older years.. I don't want to think as much on the track. I'd rather work on having a higher avg speed thru the course and work on my lines.
When you're younger it's more fun and you don't realize how slow you really are too.
It's not that I don't realize that MT is slower, it's that I don't care. It's more fun for me. But again, folks should buy auto if it's more fun for them

And I'm also no spring chicken. When I go to a track, I'm not trying to win a million races. I just want to drive hard, learn, and enjoy.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadoquad For This Useful Post:
helloimgil (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #79
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
It's not that I don't realize that MT is slower, it's that I don't care. It's more fun for me. But again, folks should buy auto if it's more fun for them

And I'm also no spring chicken. When I go to a track, I'm not trying to win a million races. I just want to drive hard, learn, and enjoy.
+1
The Following User Says Thank You to RYU For This Useful Post:
shadoquad (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #80
tinnyms3

Drives: ms3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I use the 6T for engine braking rather frequently. It came in particularly handy during my mountain run a couple of weeks back.

Can you elaborate on your recent experience? I'm just curious.
I think it has to do with the dual-mass flywheel on newer cars where car does not slow down when you let off the gas, acts like an AT, drives me insane and one of the reasons I hate AT. GTI, 350Z, SVT Focus I owned all acted like that. Hope brz is not like that.

BRZ STi on order
tinnyms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinnyms3 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #81
Zoomie

Drives: VW R32
I have the V-Dub 2008 R32 with Porsche's dual clutch "tiptronic"w/paddles. It is lightning fast at shifting, it has launch control and,...it is souless. You'll play with the paddles for awhile get used to them and forget to put it back in any of the manual modes. It is amazing technology but boring because it works so well. Supposedly this transmission is/was as good as it gets too...

Don't get me wrong if this was going to be a daily city driver or my only vehicle (BRZ) I'd go slushbox because of the convenience.
Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #82
m0nty

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
I have the V-Dub 2008 R32 with Porsche's dual clutch "tiptronic"w/paddles. It is lightning fast at shifting, it has launch control and,...it is souless. You'll play with the paddles for awhile get used to them and forget to put it back in any of the manual modes. It is amazing technology but boring because it works so well. Supposedly this transmission is/was as good as it gets too...

Don't get me wrong if this was going to be a daily city driver or my only vehicle (BRZ) I'd go slushbox because of the convenience.
Porsche double clutch? They didn't have PDK until 4 years after Volkswagen put it in the Golf TDI. DSG is very much a Volkswagen innovation. Porsche got access when Volkswagen took control if them in 2008-9.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
m0nty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #83
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
clutch or nothing, the end
Ya...I voted nothing and couldn't be happier with my AT...
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #84
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Quote:
But it will let you downshift...right up to that point...and it's cool...blips the throttle and slows you right down.
I didn't use the paddles in any of my previous cars...this one I use all the time (and not because it's a novelty) works as a quick downshift to accelerate on a ramp entering the highway...and as a downshift coming off the highway as you begin to take the off ramp at speeds I couldn't even imagine were possible...before the BRZ.
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote