follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Tools?

Not sure if this is in the right section, but was wondering if anyone had any brand of tools that they swear by. Usually just use my dad's tools that I found around the house but since I'm hardly home now, I need to leave my own set at my girl's place. Was wondering if there was any brands people swear by, prices, quality, life time warranty etc. My cousin mentioned craftsman from Sears but was just wondering on other's inputs. Right now just looking for a screwdriver and a socket set.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
For starters, i'd recommend one of the many tool sets has at sears for craftsman.

Snap on is great but uber $$$, if you want to you can find a lot of good snap on tools at yard/garage sales.

Besides my sockets, i'd say every other tool i own is a snap on or craftsman I've picked up at yard sales for like 2 dollars.

Also if anyone is a high school student i do believe snap on offers HUGE discounts to high school students, but i think your school has to be a snap on buyer and so forth. I learned this the week after i graduated, fun. They do it that because people who buy snap on ONLY buy snap on.

You live in Brooklyn so i'm sure you can find a guy who knows a guy who knows this other guys brother who has a CLEAN NOT STOLEN set of snap on tools for sale.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have Snap-On, Matco, Blue Point, and Craftsmen. My Snap-On Hand tool set (Metric and SAE for all my Snap On: Sockets: 1/4 and 1/8 and wrenches, and bunch of other crap. They said MSRP was about 5-7 Grand) were "Free*", but it was just a graduation gift from NADC. My Matco setup is mostly power and air tools. Blue Point (Snap-On) makes decent impact sockets, and My Craftsmen are my backups in the rare case my handtools break.
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
xDBOYx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All my tools are craftsman. Not only are they reasonably priced they also have a great warranty. If u bring in a defective tool they will give u a brand new on the spot.
xDBOYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
^
Yea my cousin mentioned that if something happens to the tools, you can bring it in and they'll replace them, lifetime warranty. That sounds like the biggest selling point for me.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Craftsman here. If you keep an eye out and are patient the sets can go for over 50% at times. I know my set of 300+ sockets and wrenches is usually like 275-350 and I got it for $145.

And yes the warranty is sick.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Snap On, Matco, IR, Craftsman, and some random german specially tool brands

Last edited by JDLAutoDesign; 03-21-2013 at 11:34 PM.
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Snap-on
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
xDBOYx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
^
Yea my cousin mentioned that if something happens to the tools, you can bring it in and they'll replace them, lifetime warranty. That sounds like the biggest selling point for me.
I've only had to use the warranty once and that's cause of my own stupidity. I feel that any company that offers lifetime warranty aren't making crappy products and offers the warranty because they are confident in their product.

Idk how true this is but besides the warranty, craftsman use to advertise "made in USA" which is always a plus in my book.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
craftsman is fine but get their professional ratchets
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Seeing as how I have done all my own work on the floor of my crappy little garage I think I can say with certainty that Craftsman is the way to go for a starter set of tools. I have this set: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2...2&blockType=G2 and still use it almost exclusively to work on my FRS. Snap-on is overpriced and does exactly the same thing Craftsman does...they make nice tools but the only way I would use them over the tried and true Craftsman tools is if they were the same price or free. Craftsman's replacement program is second to none and its lifetime. Also you can bring them to any Sears.

Some other sets you might want is a nice T handle hex set, a 1/2" breaker bar, some good needle nose pliers and a couple of Vice grips. A dead blow hammer is also extremely useful when dealing with tough to break bolts/nuts.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Supermassive For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-26-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2111 View Post
If you keep an eye out and are patient the sets can go for over 50% at times.
And yes the warranty is sick.
Check Sears for periodic discounts on toolsets with a box to keep them in.
Go metric. A set of T handle Allen wrenches is nice to have as well.
When you can afford it, torque wrenches.
A large one for lug nuts and crank bolts(ft/lb) and a smaller one for small bolts (inch/lb).
You can't get one that does everything.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
City's Finest

Drives: Whiteout FR-S, Black S-Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I buy whatever Costco is carrying that day.
Grimmspeed license plate relocation - Pentosin MTF2 transmission fluid - TiC solid aluminum steering rack bushings - Kartboy rear shifter stay bushing - Whiteline gearbox positive shift bushing - Whiteline rear crossmember mount insert bushing
City's Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
xDBOYx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Snap-on is overpriced and does exactly the same thing Craftsman does...they make nice tools but the only way I would use them over the tried and true Craftsman tools is if they were the same price or free.
Couldn't agree more. I don't do this professionally to justify owning snap on. Craftsman gets the job done and if a tool breaks during a install, sears is only 15 min away for me. I can go get it exchanged and run home and finish the job. I don't think u can do that with snap on. Probably have to call it in and get a rga and send it in. Which can probably take weeks before getting it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
When you can afford it, torque wrenches.
A large one for lug nuts and crank bolts(ft/lb) and a smaller one for small bolts (inch/lb).
You can't get one that does everything.
Torque wrenches are pretty cheap now. I think I saw a digital craftsman 1/2 and 3/8 for 99.99 2 weeks ago at sears.