follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Now with added security

Main reason was so car makes beeps when I lose it in a car park.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #16
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How do you like those whiteline diff inserts ? Are there any noticable differences on stock suspension car ? Nice writeup BTW
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkubi View Post
How do you like those whiteline diff inserts ? Are there any noticable differences on stock suspension car ? Nice writeup BTW
Whiteline inserts are effective in reducing the slop and tramp.

I cannot really comment on the difference on a OEM suspension car as mine had the MCA coils fitted, BUT, in saying that, I would hazard to guess the benifits would be the same.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (04-30-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 AM   #18
86MLR

Fitted up 15mm hubcentric bolt on spacers.

Why???

"becausesortofflush"

It's funny how such a small change can improve the aesthetics.
JesseG (02-25-2020)
Old 05-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #19
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Tune time

And really the end of mod time

I have used Pulse racing for a few years now, they are at the pointy end for alot of track cars, they build and tune all sorts of weapons, the tuned my STI, they have tuned alot of other club cars I know, and also, they tune a few twins, not just street, but also alot of track, NA and boosted.

https://pulseracing.com.au/about-us/

Ecutek tune with Racerom

The car is now pretty optimal for its use, daily thrashing.

Not bad for a free flowing OEM header with some other cheap parts

The only other thing I want (not need) is a TRD rear louvre

Tuning results speak for themselves
That's a nice power figure I find it funny they make almost the same power figure stock as a stock NA RB25, its been so long since I last owned an NA R34 skyline I cant remember what felt quicker the 86 or my skyline, my Evo 5 was only making 160KWATW stock and I thought I was the quickest thing on the road until it got stolen and I almost cried (I cried) I was going to tune my car at Pulse Racing until I called up and requested a quote..... I told them ill call them back, I never called back .
Instead I got my car road tuned by Battle Garage IXA for just over a quarter of what they were going to charge me. Ever wonder what it will make with E85 ? I have a e85 station up the street from me that my next Mod.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #20
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoto86 View Post
That's a nice power figure I find it funny they make almost the same power figure stock as a stock NA RB25, its been so long since I last owned an NA R34 skyline I cant remember what felt quicker the 86 or my skyline, my Evo 5 was only making 160KWATW stock and I thought I was the quickest thing on the road until it got stolen and I almost cried (I cried) I was going to tune my car at Pulse Racing until I called up and requested a quote..... I told them ill call them back, I never called back .
Instead I got my car road tuned by Battle Garage IXA for just over a quarter of what they were going to charge me. Ever wonder what it will make with E85 ? I have a e85 station up the street from me that my next Mod.
I am happy to pay a premium, Paul Fisher wrote the book on Ecutek, plus his work on the FA20/86 is backed by results from T86RS amongst other series.

I admit a NA tune has alot less inherent risks and issues than a boosted platform, but wringing out every bit of power is more in depth than just winding in another psi.

The tuned 86 now makes about the same as my STI prior to tuning, it's amazing the restrictions from the OEM cats and the tune that is focused on emmisions, it now also handles better than the STI, maybe because it weighs 250kg less.

When I finally pull the pin on boost it will be Pulse bolting it together and Paul Fisher tuning it.

As for what mods I'll get, basically whatever Pulse and Paul recommend, I trust them that much.

In the end, you get what you pay for, I want the best when it comes to tuning, and I am willing to pay for it.

I do miss my R33 though, having a 400kwatw rwd was lots of fun, but it was expensive to maintain as it chewed through consumables.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am happy to pay a premium, Paul Fisher wrote the book on Ecutek, plus his work on the FA20/86 is backed by results from T86RS amongst other series.

I admit a NA tune has alot less inherent risks and issues than a boosted platform, but wringing out every bit of power is more in depth than just winding in another psi.

The tuned 86 now makes about the same as my STI prior to tuning, it's amazing the restrictions from the OEM cats and the tune that is focused on emmisions, it now also handles better than the STI, maybe because it weighs 250kg less.

When I finally pull the pin on boost it will be Pulse bolting it together and Paul Fisher tuning it.

As for what mods I'll get, basically whatever Pulse and Paul recommend, I trust them that much.

In the end, you get what you pay for, I want the best when it comes to tuning, and I am willing to pay for it.

I do miss my R33 though, having a 400kwatw rwd was lots of fun, but it was expensive to maintain as it chewed through consumables.
Yeah I understand I just had a budget of $1500 to play with that includes header and tune, and I trust the guys down at IXA they have tuned over 300 86/BRZ including cup cars they can't be beaten for price and quality in Sydney imo. But I would have liked to go with Pulse if money wasn't a big issue for sure. This car would be perfect with half that number 200kwatw is probably the sweet spot in this platform.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 AM   #22
86MLR

So, boredom took hold, as well as curiosity.

Picked up some Tomei UEL headers to see the difference between my OEM EL cat deleted header and the UEL.

Should get fitted up over the next week or so, dyno in a month or so, dependant on the availability of the tuner.

I'm hoping I don't lose power, that would suck balls.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #23
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
So, boredom took hold, as well as curiosity.

Picked up some Tomei UEL headers to see the difference between my OEM EL cat deleted header and the UEL.

Should get fitted up over the next week or so, dyno in a month or so, dependant on the availability of the tuner.

I'm hoping I don't lose power, that would suck balls.

Caves! I'm very curious about the results too.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Caves! I'm very curious about the results too.
Yeah, LOL

From looking around aftermarket EL are typical gains to the OEM sort of EL headers with the cat removed.

I couldn't justify spending over $2k ((AU tax + (plus the cost of dyno time = another $500?)) to get ACE headers shipped over so, the best of the bunch EL header vs OEM catless assessment isn't happening.

Considerations

The runners on the Tomei UEL are the same size as the exhaust port of the FA20, 42.7mm, hasty calcs says it "should" flow over 300hp.

The primary runners on the OEM are 45mm with the secondaries at 48.6mm.

Lenght of runners are not in the equation as its apples and oranges but the diameter is, the slightly smaller dia should improve the flow and scavenging effects down low, hopefully filling in some torque, hopefully......

Fluid dynamics points to compromised scavenging with UEL, but, sometimes real world results can differ, either through clever design (matching pulses with the different runner length), or luck.

Will reversion be improved over OEM.

Was reversion thought about when designing the Tomei UEL headers with it's crazy short runners on cylinders 1 and 3.

Will I lose power up top?

Will I gain enough under the curve to make up for the loss, if any?

Will the sound of the car (dropped cylinder) make me take it out, even if it makes good power??????

The reason I went with Tomei was I've used their products before and they are top notch, plus the kit came with gaskets and the heat sheilding for the sump.

Oh, and the price was right.

Anyways, time will tell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
JesseG (02-25-2020), new2subaru (05-17-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #25
86MLR

Cold start is now as loud as balls.

Will get cold start tuned out, hopefully soon.

Went for a hour drive to cook off the heat wrap, car is definitely louder now, not bad if you are light on the throttle, but pretty loud when you get up it, it reminds me of my old STI, LOL.

I might need a resonator in the front pipe, maybe, maybe not.

Stone guard thingie will go back on after I have heat cycled it a few times and re-torqued it all up.

Sounds hektik, LOL

Will be interesting to see the difference after I get the tune tickled.

Does sound good under hard acceleration though.
Attached Images

JesseG (02-25-2020)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:20 AM   #26
86MLR

Now with added quietness, with the added benifit of the legalities....oh, and environmental kittens

Well, some kittens, it's a 100 cell.

Cold start is still louder then I really like, but, meh.

Normal running it is as loud as my old MX5, but deeper, and not tinny, plus no drone.

If I'm unhappy with the sound later I'll just throw in a louvered hot dog inplace of the resonator.

Chopped a turbo Nissan coming back from the exhaust shop, shallow victory though, it was a SSS, LOL

Car is running flawlessly, and in its NA state, there isn't really much to do to improve performance.

Looking forward to the weekend to throw it at my local stretch of twisties, and of course, annoy people with my loud exhsust with its dropped cylinder beats.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #27
86MLR

Drove to Newcastle today, 500 km round trip..

And then....

X Force cat back is out, OEM cat back is back in, LOL.

After fitting the UEL catless header, and getting the 100 cell cat in the front pipe it was still to loud for my liking (my heat signature was massive and a fine was not to far away).

If you are going to put a header on one of these things, especially a catless UEL one, I recommend keeping the OEM cat back.

If you just want some sound, decat the OEM header (cost = $0.00 a 17+ OEM header flows fine NA), and get a cat back, any more and it is way to loud for a daily.

So, now, my current exhaust is a Tomei UEL header, Ultrex 2.5" overpipe, 2.5" front pipe with a 100 cell cat, OEM cat back.

Lets see what cold start is like tomorrow morning.

Opinions may vary
Attached Images

Last edited by 86MLR; 08-26-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #28
86MLR

Cold start was still to loud

So, now, my current exhaust is a Tomei UEL header, Ultrex 2.5" overpipe, OEM front pipe back.

Going to the smaller pipe isn't a worry as calculations say that 2 1/4" will flow more than enough NA.

And the OEM front pipe will flow the power its making without much of a issue and will save the kittens and frogs for future generations, which is a bonus.

In all honesty I wish I just did the header and overpipe to start with.

Or, stayed with the decat OEM header, 2 5" catless overpipe and 2.5" cat back, the only issue with that is the trail of dead kittens and frogs in my wake.

Like all things it was a lesson, albeit a slightly costly one.

Dooh.
JesseG (02-25-2020)