follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2022, 07:28 AM   #1
Firedrops

Drives: MY15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Joying Head Unit install - No pin 2 for factory reverse camera??

I've been trying to get an aftermarket Joying Head Unit installed, and have been following pretty much every guide there is, but my factory reverse camera would not pop up.

Then I realised the problem - The orange wire on the Joying harness labelled "Back", which should be inserted into Pin 2 to mate with the car's 28 pin connector, is not connected to anything on the car's side.

The orange wire, photo borrowed from another thread :

This thread's OP has a green wire in the Pin 2 position.

And a labelled 28-pin harness, corresponding to that OP's pinout:

Note the 2nd-from-top-left pin labelled "Reverse", aka "Pin 2", and as far as I could find, universally agreed to be the correct place for the orange "Back" wire. So, I crimped the Joying's orange "Back" wire into the equivalent place on the Joying's harness, which is the "female" side that the connector in the photo above inserts into.

HOWEVER, I realised my car's 28-pin connector doesn't have anything in Pin 2! (See attached photo)

This car has been modded before by the previous owner, but the factory reverse camera has always worked with the factory touch screen head unit, so this reverse pin might be elsewhere???

Has anyone seen a connector like mine before in their 86? Or have any other clues/suggestions on where this "Back" signal could be? It's an Australian 86, if that helps.
Attached Images

Firedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my 2018 tacoma used the canbus to turn the camera on/off. i had to run a wire from the drivers side kick panel where the main wiring harness was up to the new radio location.

i didn't think a 2015 brz was new enough to use canbus for the signalling, but it's what makes sense given the wiring you have available.

the joying should connect to the canbus system, you would need to reach out to joying support to see if they offer a software update package that might activate the camera the same way.

but good luck, joying's a pain to work with.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:37 AM   #3
Firedrops

Drives: MY15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's really a shame, I don't think there's any possibility at all Joying would make this patch.

I really do think I'm missing something obvious, though. It's basically impossible to find other posts facing the same issue, so it's very likely it's just not even come up as an issue/question for all the other thousands of aftermarket headunit installs.
Firedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
best option if the wire doesn't exist is to run your own wiring.

the risk though is that many reverse cameras are 6v and need a voltage adapter. 12v will fry them.

Tags
head unit, headunit, joying