follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #113
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I'm more incline to assume it's the Gen Z kids who can finally afford the cars. The things OP says are very similar to what I've seen my students say in the past and the newer generation of Soldiers I work with. They are quick to throw shade, but will assume anything is an insult.
Actually the first post was quite reasonable. Other than the "expected greater" he pretty much nailed the reality with the 4HP improvement.

A lot of it is the myth that ALL cars can get huge gains from intakes and headers. Working on a 15 year old base trim Honda you can indeed get massive gains by changing to a freer flowing intake, filter and header. The 86 comes with these things already so the gains to be had are far smaller to the point of being almost nonexistent.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #114
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Actually the first post was quite reasonable. Other than the "expected greater" he pretty much nailed the reality with the 4HP improvement.

A lot of it is the myth that ALL cars can get huge gains from intakes and headers. Working on a 15 year old base trim Honda you can indeed get massive gains by changing to a freer flowing intake, filter and header. The 86 comes with these things already so the gains to be had are far smaller to the point of being almost nonexistent.
You know what Tcoat, I've had just about enough of you! For nearly 10 years you've harassed me on this forum. Well it stops here and now!

Stahp.

Also, yes I agree. I know it's been well established the gains are minimal, but still useful with headers and all. But I don't buy the charcoal filter netting some of the claims. Either way I'm more consumed with the other nonsense OP has done so I'm here just to mess with them.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
ROFL it's Waffle (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #115
Ogt

Drives: ‘13 AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am beginning to seriously believe that the second gen cars attract a crowd that should be in BMWs since they have a superiority complex and take every statement as an insult.
Less exciting replies than I was expecting
Unironically am considering the Zupra, that’s a BMW, right?
2nd Gen MasterRace member #069
Ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ogt For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #116
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
if its not needed in California, the strictest state when it comes to smog laws(i confirmed its not needed, as it's not mentioned on any emissions label for the vehicle) then it's fine to remove
I don't live in California though. Does it NEED to have an emissions label to be considered an emissions piece-part? I just figured some idiotic policy got enforced and some blanket statement addressed it.. but there's a dedicated label? Learn something new every day.

Ironically when I had my boosted S2K, the new owner (who lives in California) asked to see the label on the procharger for the CARB serial number... and sure enough, it was there (I had no idea).
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Ogt (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #117
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
Why are people arguing over a free mod that takes 1 minute? By removing an intake restriction, it can only help. Even if it's .1 horsepower to 5 or 10, it's free and takes one minute. No brainer IMHO.

Arguing over it is borderline insane.
Why not remove the entire filter? That should remove a lot of restriction. Or just remove the whole airbox assembly?
Have no restriction. Maybe that would gain 10 hp.

Big deal. Who cares?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #118
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Charcoal intake filter removal testing & RESULTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I don't live in California though. Does it NEED to have an emissions label to be considered an emissions piece-part? I just figured some idiotic policy got enforced and some blanket statement addressed it.. but there's a dedicated label? Learn something new every day.

Ironically when I had my boosted S2K, the new owner (who lives in California) asked to see the label on the procharger for the CARB serial number... and sure enough, it was there (I had no idea).

If it is an emissions part that is required it will have an EPA executive order number on it. Carb has their own EO number in a different format. Will look something like "CARB XX-XXXX-XX" though the number of digits may be different depending on if it is a component or piece of equipment.

Here’s a component EO for fuel line.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 07-21-2022 at 11:16 AM.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
ROFL it's Waffle (07-21-2022), Ultramaroon (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #119
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm more incline to assume it's the Gen Z kids who can finally afford the cars. The things OP says are very similar to what I've seen my students say in the past and the newer generation of Soldiers I work with. They are quick to throw shade, but will assume anything is an insult.
That's really it. It's the participation trophy kids just getting out of college with a decent job, using all their money for a car and mediocre apartment that aren't used to being told they are wrong.

And before you cry babies "come at me" I know, because I'm the guy that onboards and mentors new hires for my group.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #120
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
"Participation Trophy" kids are in their 30s and 40s by this time.. not Gen Z.

Btw, none of us ever asked for participation trophies.. thank the Boomers for that
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
MacSpeed (07-21-2022), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (07-21-2022), new2subaru (07-21-2022), ROFL it's Waffle (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 12:56 PM   #121
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogt View Post
Unironically am considering the Zupra, that’s a BMW, right?
I don't know if I'd go that far. It's like saying the RS Q8 is just a bargain Uris. I'd like to think even the BRZ has a different character than the GR86, and the Z4 vs the Supra... unless the Supra went the convertible route (make it a dedicated roadster perhaps ).
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #122
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post

Btw, none of us ever asked for participation trophies.. thank the Boomers for that
HEY! I'm a boomer and I'm offended!

Not really...I get tired of the older generations calling our youth *fill in the blank*
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #123
Ogt

Drives: ‘13 AT FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I don't know if I'd go that far. It's like saying the RS Q8 is just a bargain Uris. I'd like to think even the BRZ has a different character than the GR86, and the Z4 vs the Supra... unless the Supra went the convertible route (make it a dedicated roadster perhaps ).
Well I was just making a joke about the BMW comment earlier but with truth behind the fact I am considering switching. I would hope the Z4 and Supra are not identical :idkemoji:
2nd Gen MasterRace member #069
Ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #124
Chrisz5z

Drives: 2022 Steel GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post

Guess it depends on where you grew up. I'm 37, never had a "Participation Trophy"....instead it was lots of "you lost, get em next time"...the way it should be
Chrisz5z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisz5z For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #125
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
That's really it. It's the participation trophy kids just getting out of college with a decent job, using all their money for a car and mediocre apartment that aren't used to being told they are wrong.

And before you cry babies "come at me" I know, because I'm the guy that onboards and mentors new hires for my group.
They started giving participation trophies to sports I played when I was 10-15 and I'm 33. So I don't think it's that. It's more deep. Remember, Gen Z is the kids who love to have 'dark humor' and make depression jokes but the moment you look at them wrong, it's a micro aggression. Then again, I have to have dark humor cuz you know, gotta laugh off that RPG that was shot at me back in '09.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #126
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
They started giving participation trophies to sports I played when I was 10-15 and I'm 33. So I don't think it's that. It's more deep. Remember, Gen Z is the kids who love to have 'dark humor' and make depression jokes but the moment you look at them wrong, it's a micro aggression. Then again, I have to have dark humor cuz you know, gotta laugh off that RPG that was shot at me back in '09.
I'm 40 and never heard of "participation" trophies until I was in college, actually even after because I was a coach for tackle football for 8th graders while in college.

Plenty of people like dark humor. Go to your local comedy club when some one like Dave Attell comes in, you'll see there are plenty of us that still have a sense of humor.
weederr33 (07-21-2022)