follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #253
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I think you are on the right track. Nothing else stands out as obvious to me. Possibly check valve lash again. I remember there seemed to be a rash of cars around 18-19' that where triggering this and supposedly the issue was valves out of spec. I will have to see if I can find the threads on it again. I don't see how valve lash would affect it but I guess it could be possible.
rice_classic (04-04-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #254
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think you are on the right track. Nothing else stands out as obvious to me. Possibly check valve lash again. I remember there seemed to be a rash of cars around 18-19' that where triggering this and supposedly the issue was valves out of spec. I will have to see if I can find the threads on it again. I don't see how valve lash would affect it but I guess it could be possible.
Well, the plot thickens.

While the new engine (Engine A) had to come out and go on the engine stand, I figured I'd put the spare engine (Engine B) back in the car. After all I didn't get any codes with and did all my races in California with it so my thought was to put it back in and go racing this weekend.

WRONG.

I fired up Engine B last night guess what! SAME EXACT CODE AND SYMPTOM. P0019.

So I thought the problem with Engine A was the plugged oil passage to the cam sprocket which is why it's on an engine stand right now. But getting the same exact code on Engine B suggests it's not: Oil passage, Sprocket, Sensor or OCV.. then WTF could it be?

After scouring the interwebs I find this: https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...oblems.504735/

Apparently our Bulkhead plug is the same as the subaru outback which the person in that thread had a problem with a pin making connection causing a fault with his O2 sensor. Considering the OBD2 plugs on 86s are a known problem with bad pins, and this person diagnosed a bad pin on his bulkhead connector I decided to open it up and look at the pins.

YUP - they are a shit design where the "ramp" in the pin don't have a spring back function and after male end is connected enough times the ramp remains in the a depressed position creating a "Hotdog in a Hallway" effect.

In the one pic below I highlight in Green the pins I have removed and reset the ramp and I highlight in red the ones I have not yet done and you can see how it possible the male prong may not be making ideal contact with some of these pins. We'll find out tonight if this solves the issue.

Progress so far

While I love my "toyota", I have determined that I will never own another subaru engine car so long as I live. Admittedly I have probably been spoiled by owning/working on Honda engines for so many years, so there's that.
itschris (04-07-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-07-2022), RedReplicant (04-11-2022), Takumi788 (04-13-2022), timurrrr (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #255
Spairo

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6 spd in Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
While it is great that you may have identified the issue, overall this is pretty disappointing news. In your pic, many of the pins look orange. Is that corrosion???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Spairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #256
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spairo View Post
While it is great that you may have identified the issue, overall this is pretty disappointing news. In your pic, many of the pins look orange. Is that corrosion???

No corrosion, all clean but yes, some pins have a copper coloring while some are silver. It's sort of odd. I'm not sure if it's deliberate or if they are coming out a bin during manufacturing with a mixture of pins from different suppliers.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #257
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Oh, damn. That is interesting.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:37 PM   #258
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Phew! That makes way more sense. I only came back here after digging for the most practical way to operate the valve without the feedback loop. It's damn near impossible to functionally troubleshoot a servo if it won't initialize.

Now you don't have to mess with manually operating the solenoid.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:19 AM   #259
rice_classic

SOLVED

SOLVED!

It was not the Bulkhead plug. womp womp

So I flashed to a stock map and something interesting happened - no more P0019 but I got P0021 (advanced). I also got misfires on Cyl 2 and 4. I flash back to my tuned map and the notice my 2 of my 4 learning values were set back to 0 so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out but no more codes were showing up at all BUT the car was still idling rough and clearly not running right.

Kind of like it was OFF A TOOTH.

So I revisited the FSM and it says "put the blue link on the cog with the mark. Pretty obvious right - except here's where I went wrong - everything says the mark is the "half moon" indent on the cog but if you use a mirror, the rear crankshaft cog (bank 2) has it's own half moon indent as well but 1 TOOTH FORWARD! My logical mind said "blue link goes on the marked tooth specific to each cog".

So I found this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87902-5448.pdf

Which very clearly illustrated to me that I was doing it wrong. Both chains need to have their blue link on the cog associated with the FRONT alignment mark.

Bank 2 has been 1 Crankshaft tooth off (advanced) this entire time.

Only concern now is if being off 1 tooth did any engine damage. I was only able to fire it up momentarily (toddler asleep) but it sounded exactly as it should.

I used a paint pen to illustrate the difference between the teeth that each have a half moon mark.

DocWalt (04-08-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-08-2022), RedReplicant (04-11-2022), Ultramaroon (04-08-2022), villainous_frx (04-08-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 12:37 AM   #260
rice_classic

Initial Learning Values

I thought @Ultramaroon would get a kick out of this discovery.

But me let retrace my steps.

Before I discovered the timing chain tooth issue, I had flashed my ECU back to a stock map, but I accidentally chose a different OEM map than the one my tuned-map is based on. When I reflashed back to my tuned map I noticed one of the learning values (Bank 2 EX) was different - it was now 68.

So now I'm at the race weekend and while the engine is running great, I'm still getting get a CEL, because one of my learning values is wrong - I keep getting P0019 despite the engine running properly. My OCD wouldn't let me ignore it so I pulled up ECUTek again remembering that it was map flashing that made that value change.

So this time I flashed to a 2016 BRZ map that ECUtek said was compatible:

I went from JA01C to JF04C, then back to my tuned JA01c map. Then I saw this in Techstream:

NO MORE CODES! Car ran great and I won the race from 4th place on Sat!

Everything I've read on the internet says "You can't reset the VVT Initial Learning Values"!! But I have proven that you can! You just have to flash to an entirely different stock map, then back. Flashing back to the stock map my tune was based on (Stock version of JA01C) DID NOTHING. The tune files MUST be different versions.

The driver in the Black RX8 was Mr. Oscar Jackson Jr. who was very fast as always but most importantly - VERY CLEAN. On Sunday he went mirror-to-mirror with myself and then with Hayai through T1-T4. I look forward to racing against Oscar again. He forced us ALL to step up our game and all 4 of us were in the 1:54's on Sunday!

I love racing
Autoxer62 (04-11-2022), CrowsFeast (05-05-2022), DocWalt (04-11-2022), doward (08-09-2023), Kelse92 (04-11-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-12-2022), Ultramaroon (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 01:25 AM   #261
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
WTF! WTF! WTF! I absolutely do not understand this.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #262
NoHaveMSG

Garage
I saw black RX8 in the video and was remembering about the other RX8 guy you were racing with a couple years ago and was thinking oh-no.

I had heard that someone stuck their ECU that had messed up learning values in a different car and back in their car and it worked but I can't find the thread on it. That is a nice find though.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:22 PM   #263
rice_classic

This video from @Turfer on Sunday is good display of fun close racing.

doward (08-09-2023)
Old 05-31-2022, 09:42 AM   #264
rice_classic

2022 SCCA Season has concluded

While the SCCA schedule continues rolling on - my participation for the year has concluded because there's no more Majors/HST local to me and I'm not going to the Runoffs because of A) what happened at the last one and B) what recently happened at VIR.

Going to spend the rest of the summer racing with the ICSCC which I recommend EVERYONE in the PacNW consider joining and racing with.

A quick recap and some takeaways:

CALIFORNIA

WSIR: Fast and fun. Track requires a great deal of high speed commitment but the racing surface is in really bad shape. I would not consider returning until it repaved due to how far away it is. Had to swap in spare engine. Got a 4th place and a 3rd place finish.

Thunderhill: Same problem this year as with last - the super slow, unaware FP car caused an off track excursion but thankfully this time it didn't result in significant damage. Got lucky with a competitor breaking an axle so I came away with a 1st and 3rd place finish.

Takeaway from California - leave the A7s at home. The cali tracks are hard on tires (how we use them) and while the A7s work well in the PacNW - they got destroyed in Cali. Like corded in a single session. Part of that is the SCCA only allows us to have max -3.5 degrees of camber on a car with Mac struts and 225 Hoosiers on 7" wide wheels. That's a recipe for short tire life but c'est la vie. Next year - sticker R7s.

PACIFIC NORTHWEST

The Ridge: Faster than ever! Mr. Oscar Jackson came up and raced in the NW with us and it was a lot of fun. He is very fast and clean it was nice to have door to door racing without contact (which is normal for us, but not typical in the SCCA). In the Sunday race, we were ALL in the 1:54's! The gearing of the RX8 really favored the track layout so I think the 2017+ 86 may be a better fit here due to the 4.3 diff. Fortunately we had dry races, despite most of the weekend being very wet and very cold. Came away with a 1st place and 3rd place.

Portland: Faster here as well, finally got a 1:28 in qualifying. That was a first for me. Saturday, Oscar took a big hit from an out of class car but he was lightning fast and finished 2nd. Sunday was WET, the 3 FRS's went out on A7s because the rain stopped and the sun was starting to peak through so we took the gamble. The track did dry, but too late so the cars on rain tires dominated. Restrictor plates were measured so while I finished 3rd, I was moved to 2nd. Came away with a 3rd and 2nd place.

Pacific Raceways Set the fastest time of the weekend in qualifying: 1:34.426. Oscar set the fastest race time. I was better set to compete with him here and once he got in front of me I was able to keep the pressure on.. well, until I missed my 2nd-to-3rd gear shift 3 times! Rev limit and a hurried shift is not copacetic. Sunday was the reverse of Portland - the race started wet so we opted for rain tires, but then it dried out surprisingly fast and the cars on dry tires had the advantage. I got 2nd on Saturday and on Sunday was penalized for a pass under yellow which dropped me to 5th. But at least the stewards cleared something up for me - it's OK to hit someone if they're passing you under yellow apparently.

SCCA: There's a new directive from the VP called "Green to Checker" which intended to promote cleaner racing. It's my view that not enough is being done to clean up the driving, especially in other parts of the country which is why I'm not planning on doing the Runoffs this year and likely not next year. VIR is so far away that it's not worth the trip to just get wrecked with no recourse.

I have spoken with the Colorado Region about doing a due diligence on hosting a Majors race at Utah Motorsports Campus. I'm hoping that between the cost/location/demand we might get an event at UMC next year. Fingers crossed.

THE CAR: The new engine (with the timing chain on correctly) runs great. I started this year with drivetrain (sans engine) untouched from indy. That means that I did Indy, WSIR, Thunderhill, Ridge and half of portland on the same rotors and pads. I changed my trans fluid once and after changing my diff fluid before Pacific and it looking like new. It's clear to me now that it's a once a year OCI, meaning the diff cover and heat shielding has really done its job. The same goes for the axle prep. I'm really digging this.

Last edited by rice_classic; 05-31-2022 at 09:56 AM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
doward (08-09-2023), Four_wheel_drifts (10-25-2022), Ultramaroon (05-31-2022), villainous_frx (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #265
rice_classic

Some Vids:

PORTLAND Super Tour Saturday Race:

PACIFIC GRAND PRIX Saturday:

PACIFIC GRAND PRIX Sunday: (I did not edit out the safety car laps, so you'll have to skip those).
Old 05-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #266
Spairo

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6 spd in Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
B) what recently happened at VIR.
What happened at VIR?

Spairo is offline   Reply With Quote