follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2016, 03:30 AM   #1
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed Cosworth 0.2 midpipe

So I finally installed the 0.2 midpipe to complete the 1.2 BRZ.
The install went easier than expected. I had read that in order to install the midpipe, you had to have a lift. I don't. I wanted to see if I could do it in my driveway without having to pay a shop (I'm a problem solver). So I'm here to report that you can install it with jack stands in your driveway. Just raise up the front of your favorite BRZ so that you can comfortably work underneath. Remove the skid plate and the dust shield that covers the transmission so you can have access to the exhaust. If you have the 0.1 axleback exhaust, remove the mid-silencer by removing 2 bolts from the front and removing the felker clamp from the rear. This will give you enough room to work as you have to slide the factory exhaust back to remove it.

Remove the 2 motor mount bolts (simple) and jack up the engine at the transmission. I used the jack located in the trunk. It was a little too short to reach and so I put it on a cinderblock to give me the extra height needed to raise the engine. This will give you enough clearance to move the overpipe section over the crossmember. This was the tricky part. Removing the factory overpipe is a little difficult because of the heatshields. But if you jack up the engine just to the point where the motor mount bolts are no longer in the frame groove, you will have enough room to get the overpipe out. This will also give you enough room to fit the big 3" Cosworth pipe.

Slide the new Cosworth midpipe over the crossmember and bolt it to the header. Bolt the rear of the midpipe to the transmission mount but don't tighten the bolt yet. Reattach the mid silencer by tightening the felker clamp first, then tighten the front bolts of the silencer to pull everything together. Finally tighten the transmission mount bolt to secure the exhaust to the car. Reinstall the shields and flash over to the new EcuTech Rom.

The car sounds awesome. It has a low rumble at idle, yet a reduced drone at highway speeds. I found that I need to relearn how to shift. With the reduced backpressure of the new exhaust, the engine speed drops much faster when shifting gears. I now have to shift faster so that the engine stays rev-matched. My mileage has increased. I'm now getting 38mpg instead of the 36 I was getting on the factory gauge (not 100% reliable I know).

I noticed right away that the throttle is much more responsive than ever. Every slight movement of the pedal causes a noticeable feel in torque output. And with that said, the car now has torque. Not turbo or supercharger torque but dang nice torque for a 2.0L engine.

I believe that if you want to stay naturally aspirated to enjoy linear throttle response and to keep the overall balance of the car, you can do no wrong by going with Cosworth. It's expensive I know, but I feel it's worth it to do it right the first time. Probably cheaper in the long run... I have greater than OEM quality and reliability and I feel confident that the car is meeting its potential every time I push the button to start the engine.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these unneeded OEM exhaust pieces...
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (11-03-2016), weederr33 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Steeps

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this, I'm currently at 1.1 (2 years fitted) and itching to do a little bit more to the car. If it reduces the drone at highway speed then I think this will be what I go for next as I don't feel like I need a supercharger yet. Only reason I'm still sitting on the fence is because the fixed overpipe limits what other aftermarket manifolds (header) are compatible with the system as 0.3 is out of stock here.
Steeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,589 Times in 2,931 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice! You were able to find the Cosworth 0.2 downpipe? Any plans for the exhaust manifold as well?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Nice! You were able to find the Cosworth 0.2 downpipe? Any plans for the exhaust manifold as well?
I found one on partbox.com. It shipped from the UK and got here in only 3 days. RallySport Direct shows a +200 day lead time or I would have ordered from there.

I don't think I'm going to install the header. I like the car the way it sounds now but don't want it to be too loud. I may someday put the supercharger on it, but I think I'm done for now.

I love the way it feels. The 1.2 has amazing throttle response. I'm still relearning how to shift. I don't need to give it as much gas when shifting gears as I did with the 1.1. It revs quicker and every little bit of throttle input matters. My mileage is definitely better. I did some city driving today and am averaging about 37.8mpg.

I like the Cosworth system so much, honestly, I don't think I would have chosen any other system. I feel that the car finally runs at its potential. I sounds great and has a lot more power over stock. They should have made them this way from the factory.

One thing I did notice is that with the 0.2 midpipe, the exhaust lines up perfectly now. Before when I had the stock midpipe, the exhaust tips of the 0.1 axleback were not perfectly aligned. The driver side stuck out slightly more than the passenger side. Now they are perfectly aligned. It looks OEM.

I've done about everything I want to do performance and cosmetic-wise. I got the Cosworth coolant hoses, oil cap and intake hose. Deleted the factory sound tube. And added the JDM style cloth instrument cluster cover with JDM style sidemarker lights. The only thing left for me to do is maybe one day put on the Cosworth brakes and supercharger and put a killer stereo in it. (stereos are my thing)

Last edited by sly; 11-04-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
I found one on partbox.com. It shipped from the UK and got here in only 3 days. RallySport Direct shows a +200 day lead time or I would have ordered from there.

I don't think I'm going to install the header. I like the car the way it sounds now but don't want it to be too loud. I may someday put the supercharger on it, but I think I'm done for now.

I love the way it feels. The 1.2 has amazing throttle response. I'm still relearning how to shift. I don't need to give it as much gas when shifting gears as I did with the 1.1. It revs quicker and every little bit of throttle input matters. My mileage is definitely better. I did some city driving today and am averaging about 37.8mpg.

I like the Cosworth system so much, honestly, I don't think I would have chosen any other system. I feel that the car finally runs at its potential. I sounds great and has a lot more power over stock. They should have made them this way from the factory.

One thing I did notice is that with the 0.2 midpipe, the exhaust lines up perfectly now. Before when I had the stock midpipe, the exhaust tips of the 0.1 axleback were not perfectly aligned. The driver side stuck out slightly more than the passenger side. Now they are perfectly aligned. It looks OEM.

I've done about everything I want to do performance and cosmetic-wise. I got the Cosworth coolant hoses, oil cap and intake hose. Deleted the factory sound tube. And added the JDM style cloth instrument cluster cover with JDM style sidemarker lights. The only thing left for me to do is maybe one day put on the Cosworth brakes and supercharger and put a killer stereo in it.

I've been dying to get a hold of the Cosworth big brake kit. I also want to do the radiator hoses too. But I'm still uncertain.

I'm stoked for them to release the Stage 3, but honestly, where it stands now is quite good. 280 bhp is proper for the car and the mpg isn't too bad. I can usually average 30mpg which is pretty good.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 11-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
sly

Any idea if the Cosworth brakes will fit behind the factory rims? I've heard yes and no but nothing conclusive. I like the look of the hoses, but honestly they were harder to install than the exhaust. It's just so hard to get to some of them.

If you put the hoses on, be sure to buy a bottle of Subaru's cooling system conditioner (Holt's Radweld). It keeps the head gaskets from leaking over time and is recommended any time you change out your coolant.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Any idea if the Cosworth brakes will fit behind the factory rims? I've heard yes and no but nothing conclusive. I like the look of the hoses, but honestly they were harder to install than the exhaust. It's just so hard to get to some of them.

If you put the hoses on, be sure to buy a bottle of Subaru's cooling system conditioner (Holt's Radweld). It keeps the head gaskets from leaking over time and is recommended any time you change out your coolant.
I'm not sure if they will fit. I think the Cosworth site said it's meant for 18" wheels, but I could be wrong.
Just found those brakes: https://www.part-box.com/index.php?r...oduct_id=54595

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
will300

Drives: Subaru BRZ SE Lux
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sly, no the Cosworth BBK won't fit behind the stock / factory wheels.

You can get an AP Racing kit which will however. AP Racing Factory BBK

Photo for reference:

weederr33 (11-05-2016)