follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Potentially moving to California.....Need to add CARB tune

Hey guys!

I might be moving to California in the near future. I live in a non-smog state and I have custom dyno tune so there is no way this will pass Cali-smog. I called Jackson racing and they sell their CARB tune. Is there anyway I can add the CARB tune as a switchable map to my ecu using ecutek ? I don't think the shop will give me the custom tune ROM file. Appreciate any help on this!
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #2
Project_1796

Drives: Scion FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Hey guys!

I might be moving to California in the near future. I live in a non-smog state and I have custom dyno tune so there is no way this will pass Cali-smog. I called Jackson racing and they sell their CARB tune. Is there anyway I can add the CARB tune as a switchable map to my ecu using ecutek ? I don't think the shop will give me the custom tune ROM file. Appreciate any help on this!
here are a copy of the carb bin files

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gw64kzljt...I_Icsjh-a?dl=0
Project_1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Project_1796 For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (05-30-2022), dynarun55 (05-30-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 11:52 PM   #3
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_1796 View Post

Woah! Thanks much... Now can I add this as a switchable map on my ecu ? I dont want to flash this in and then lose my custom tune.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:12 AM   #4
Project_1796

Drives: Scion FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Woah! Thanks much... Now can I add this as a switchable map on my ecu ? I dont want to flash this in and then lose my custom tune.
You can always save your custom tune first before reflashing, you can try to switch tunes,
Project_1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:33 AM   #5
dynarun55

Quote:
You can always save your custom tune first before reflashing, you can try to switch tunes,
Would you know how to save my custom maps that are currently on the ECU ? I have 2 maps right now and I'm aware about how to switch between them using the cruise control stock. I just want to add the CARB as the 3rd one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2022, 03:55 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey guys!

Short answer no

Ecutek tunes while the have whats referred to as map switching its not switching a complete tune.

Its only switching a small subset on maps like base fueling and timing. All the core maps ( about 98% ) are shared between the four map modes.

also the whole idea of a CARB tune is that you cannot just switch it on and off.

the tune needs to be registered and is not able to be altered. The tune will be registered against a ecu calibration id and a checksum value so they can check if its been messed with.

You would need to buy the CARB registered tune for your car.

the new tune will completely overwrite the old current tune
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Poogchomp (05-31-2022), Tcoat (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 04:20 AM   #7
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
and you can t save extract your current tune, your only option to have it then back would be to ask your tuner to send you your tune and buy an ecutek kit to be able to flash it
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Short answer no

Ecutek tunes while the have whats referred to as map switching its not switching a complete tune.

Its only switching a small subset on maps like base fueling and timing. All the core maps ( about 98% ) are shared between the four map modes.

also the whole idea of a CARB tune is that you cannot just switch it on and off.

the tune needs to be registered and is not able to be altered. The tune will be registered against a ecu calibration id and a checksum value so they can check if its been messed with.

You would need to buy the CARB registered tune for your car.

the new tune will completely overwrite the old current tune
I believe the BAR-OIS system for smog checks the CALID and then the CVN which is a hash checksum of the entire ECU plus the calibration area. IF you have a CARB compliant EO tune (and Sticker) I not sure if that has gotten into their database to verify the CVN. The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) does automatically record the CVN during smog checks (internet connection) to identify if there have been changes to the software. EO labels close to the OEM vehicle emissions control information label will let the smog check operators know that the CVN could be different and will input the EO information to the BAR. BAR has been building a database of CVNs for each EO from all vehicles tested. If BAR is concerned about a CVN, then BAR will call CARB, which will call EO issued company like edelbrock etc to verify the correct software.

Last edited by FrickingReallySlow; 05-31-2022 at 12:16 PM.
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
steve99 (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 06:18 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
I believe the BAR-OIS system for smog checks the CALID and then the CVN which is a hash checksum of the entire ECU plus the calibration area. IF you have a CARB compliant EO tune (and Sticker) I not sure if that has gotten into their database to verify the CVN. The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) does automatically record the CVN during smog checks (internet connection) to identify if there have been changes to the software. EO labels close to the OEM vehicle emissions control information label will let the smog check operators know that the CVN could be different and will input the EO information to the BAR. BAR has been building a database of CVNs for each EO from all vehicles tested. If BAR is concerned about a CVN, then BAR will call CARB, which will call EO issued company like edelbrock etc to verify the correct software.

Yes id expect that the vehicle tune CVN and tune would be individually registered in their database. So you could not simply flash a carb tune, would need to be registered in the database by a licienced shop ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Since BAR has been collecting these CVN + CALID combos since 2015 they already have a correlation to use to determine if something has been modified. So even within a model (2013-2016 FRS/BRZ) there are many CALID+CVN that are valid and they will match the CALID to the make/model year of your car. So if they don't have enough data on like 2015 CALID + Edelbrock Eforce CARB CVN they may "fail" you and then you get reffed and they do this manual process to see if your tune is the official one supported by the aftermarket supplier (i.e edelbrock). Or they might just let you through because they've either gathered enough data or don't have enough data yet for these EO CARB sticker tunes and will keep collecting for a while longer.

btw I think you did a great write up already on this

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130030

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes id expect that the vehicle tune CVN and tune would be individually registered in their database. So you could not simply flash a carb tune, would need to be registered in the database by a licienced shop ?
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
steve99 (06-02-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #11
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:

CARB files are locked. It can only be used by the Dongle it is assigned to.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote