follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2022, 01:08 AM   #799
Up4speed

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFreshPrince View Post
I love rolling into the gas station on fumes. It's like a game or challenge to see how low I can go.
That's not good for the car. The fuel pump is cooled with the fuel in the tank. When it drops too low, the pump will run hotter, and probably reduce it's life.
Plus the pump has a filter sock on it, and can get clogged up (once the car gets older).
Up4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:40 AM   #800
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
That's not good for the car. The fuel pump is cooled with the fuel in the tank. When it drops too low, the pump will run hotter, and probably reduce it's life.
Plus the pump has a filter sock on it, and can get clogged up (once the car gets older).

I've been told the same things, so I just avoid running it that low.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #801
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't believe that the fuel pump is cooled with fuel in the tank. Well, it is indirect. It is cool by the fuel going through it which does come from the tank. So as long as the car is running there is fuel being pumped and the moment the car dies the fuel pump stops and will not overheat.
I have heard the argument about the fuel filter getting clogged more when the tank gets low on fuel. This one may be true. I am not sure, but it's still a fun game I play.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #802
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
In one of my old cars I ran out of gas around 1/4 mile from the gas station. On that particular day, I lost the game. Still have the jerry can I bought, after walking to said gas station. Has come in handy a few times.
Wow! you are dedicated to the game. I too have "lost" twice and won big once. I ran out of gas on the expressway and had to walk 1/4 mile as well. Man, do convent stores change a lot for a small gas can. I bet it was 3 times as much as Walmart would charge. The second time I lost, I was a mile from home and call the wife to get me.
It big win was when I literally ran out at the top of the hill going to the gas station. I coasted down the hill 200 yards and pulled right in next to the pump. I was smitten with myself that day.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:59 AM   #803
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The second time I lost, I was a mile from home and call the wife to get me.
In my case my wife (then girlfriend) was in the passenger seat at the time...Needless to say I get reminded of the incident every now and then lol
PhatFreshPrince (04-03-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 02:48 PM   #804
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Getting ready for first autocross next weekend.

CP pads.
Attached Images

dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:53 PM   #805
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't believe that the fuel pump is cooled with fuel in the tank. Well, it is indirect. It is cool by the fuel going through it which does come from the tank.
The fuel pump is an electric motor, and an impeller pump. If the fuel level is below both, which it can be, only the pump section is exposed to fuel. It's made from plastic, so it doesn't transfer cooling to the electric motor. In short, the electric motor isn't cooled if fuel is below it, in the tank.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #806
Robotaz

Drives: 2022 GR86 Premium
What did you do to your 2nd gen BRZ today?

Quote:

While I agree with your logic regarding cooling and that it could be an issue (probably is not however), I disagree on low fuel clogging filters. Sediment and junk settle and are pulled against the filter every time the car is started with more impact than moving around with low fuel levels. I don’t see how that can be avoided other than picking the right gas stations and avoiding filling up when the truck is there or soon after.
Robotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #807
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
193k miles on my FRS. Original fuel pump. Red dot is true empty. I never fill less than 11gal, a lot of times more than 12 gal. While mine has lasted can't say I recommend it haha.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:31 PM   #808
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Also for those that do like the challenge Blipshift is selling this shirt for 2 more days lol
https://www.blipshift.com/products/itll-make-it-ii

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #809
jbug187

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Got track ready pads installed and high temp fluid bled through today. Anyone else going to be at the NASA event at Lime Rock next Saturday, April 9?
Attached Images

jbug187 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbug187 For This Useful Post:
DougNuts (04-02-2022), PLF69 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #810
greengs

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 2022 Tacoma Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
The fuel pump is an electric motor, and an impeller pump. If the fuel level is below both, which it can be, only the pump section is exposed to fuel. It's made from plastic, so it doesn't transfer cooling to the electric motor. In short, the electric motor isn't cooled if fuel is below it, in the tank.
Since there's always a reserve in the tank of most every car on the road today even when Distance to empty is 0 miles this is likely why fuel pumps burning out is likely a non issue. Not too many people get to 0 miles to empty and continue to drive?
greengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #811
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
While I agree with your logic regarding cooling and that it could be an issue (probably is not however), I disagree on low fuel clogging filters. Sediment and junk settle and are pulled against the filter every time the car is started with more impact than moving around with low fuel levels. I don’t see how that can be avoided other than picking the right gas stations and avoiding filling up when the truck is there or soon after.
All modern gasoline and diesel service station pumps have a filter that filters down to 10 microns. I’m not sure about water separators, but I recall that the company that I worked for had a setup for that. Spotting a fuel delivery truck means little other than you are getting fresh gasoline. Look for premium at a station that has Top Tier fuel that has additives. Only adds pennies to the cost. Now that being said, if the pump is running slow, stop pumping and go somewhere else. That could be an indication that the pump filter is clogged. Keep your receipt in case something got through. Filters should be changed on a schedule, so if one is clogged, it probably happened quickly due to a bunch of contamination. This happened to me when I tried to fill from a slow diesel pump that slowed to a crawl after the first five gallons. I went across the street to finish filling the tank. 100 miles down the road, the water separator light came on. At a rest stop, I bled the water using the built in bleed hose. It came on twice more and stopped after the next tank fill. I hit up the service station for a new $90 fuel filter which was cheap compared to the several pickup trucks that needed lots more to set them right.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flarpswitch For This Useful Post:
jongers (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 05:16 PM   #812
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
when my brother was at UTI, some of the other students got into a debate on "the best oil filter" and got into the 'filters down to [x] microns' part.

the teacher finally chimed in after growing tired of it, "you know, even chicken wire can 'filter' 1 micron depending on how one measures it..."