follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2022, 12:54 AM   #1
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
You should drop your oil pan and clean out the pickup

I'm mid rebuild after another spun rod bearing at 74k miles on a 2013. I had a new short block installed under warranty at around 54k, then the valve spring recall done around 65k. Doing this latest new short block myself I really can't stress enough how much gasket maker is used on these engines.
I plan on dropping my pan and cleaning out the oil pickup after 1-2k miles once my rebuild is done. I'm also moving to the KillerB oil pickup.

Now for the pics.

All of the debris in this box was shaken out of the pickup tube. This is IN ADDITION TO the gasket maker you can see in the pic above. So I shook this out of the tube, THEN removed the mesh and took the above pic.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wtf, this liquid gasket pandemic need to be stopped. Its really all over the world. My car had a new engine before i bought it after a valve spring fix. Now i feel i should check my oil pickup, obviously applying gaskets isn't part of the education for Toyota/Subaru mechanics, i thought it was something you learnt on day 1.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedN View Post
Wtf, this liquid gasket pandemic need to be stopped. Its really all over the world. My car had a new engine before i bought it after a valve spring fix. Now i feel i should check my oil pickup, obviously applying gaskets isn't part of the education for Toyota/Subaru mechanics, i thought it was something you learnt on day 1.
A lot of it can be the old sealant that wasn't removed properly. That combined with a sloppy application of the new and you have a mess on your hands. Removal and reapplication is very time consuming and they just don't take their time with it. Then if there was metal in the oil and you have a cooler and don't replace it then the metal gets recirculated again and again. When I used the IAG block the first oil change was 50 miles, then 500 then 1,500 all with break in oil.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's difficult to lay the sealant properly.

We should blame Subaru for opting to use gasket maker instead of regular gaskets.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to demasrv For This Useful Post:
TommyW (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
In the fabric a robot puts the sealant, apparently it s more economic for them like that
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:01 AM   #6
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've put engines together before, though not this typ of engine, and have never had so much excess, its supposed to be a very thin layer. But i agree, its a cheap solution and skipping the gaskets creates alot of risk, especially if it needs to be opened at work shops.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #7
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
its a cheap solution and skipping the gaskets creates alot of risk
The split crankcase makes it very hard to make a gasket work, add thermal expansion of that weird joint and gaskets will fail much earlier than on simpler engines.

I’d be willing to bet that the sealant is actually more expensive than using a gasket. Part cost vs technician time. Having a tech spend 2mins applying a bead to an interface is more expensive than spending 2 seconds throwing a gasket on it. Keep in mind that Porsche (the only other manufacturer that builds boxers) seals theirs the same way. Considering their MSRPs and profit margins they would do it differently if there was a better way.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-18-2022), TommyW (01-18-2022), Ultramaroon (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've put engines together before, though not this typ of engine, and have never had so much excess, its supposed to be a very thin layer. But i agree, its a cheap solution and skipping the gaskets creates alot of risk, especially if it needs to be opened at work shops.
It is not supposed to be a thin layer, it is a bead layed down out of a caulking gun, ~4mm in diameter per the FSM. It is not a cheap solution, it is actually more expensive as it requires more exact assembly practices as we have experienced the shoddy end of.

There are a few reasons to use sealant over gaskets. On something like the timing cover, a gasket wouldn't work and would leak all the time. That is a big cover and when you throw in the stresses on it(the oil pump is housed in the cover), and heating and cooling cycles it just doesn't work. Another is the tolerancing on sealant is more consistent over gaskets. You also get firmer fastening between two parts.
soundman98 (01-18-2022), Ultramaroon (01-18-2022), x808drifter (01-20-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
@demasrv I see you got into your rebuild! One good inexpensive way to find if you have this problem is to look at your oil filter. Like I did here with pics https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146429

I found flakes/chunks of sealant there and so I dropped the pan and found some shit, not as much as you. Then installed the killerB. My engine is stock but had to reseal for timing cover leaks and it still happened

I mentioned used oil analysis, but I found another place that does use oil filter media analysis haha, more expensive and mostly for industrial/ships/planes applications but probably can be applicable here if you think you have a problem. UOA doesn't pick up solid particles you can see with your eyes
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #10
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
How much time are you guys giving for the sealant to cure before adding any oil?
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote