follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
T_Squadrito

Drives: White 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Water flooding rear passenger side floor boards

Ok, so, I am setting up an appointment to take my car in ASAP, but I really need to ask, has anyone ever heard of this happening and do you happen to know if there is a solution to how I may fix this at home without having to pay a small fortune at a mechanic?

I dont know how, I dont know why, but the rear passenger side footwell and throug hthe bottom of the passenger side seat is literally completely flooded. Based on stepping on it and how much water rises up through the carpet it is about 2-3cm of water. It's a lot. Its not in the front which makes me doubt it is the AC, and its is not all over the place, EG, not down the side of the seat or sides of the floor carpeting which makes me believe that it is probably not weather sealing. It has been raining a LOT but I didn't go through any puddles (I avoid them like the plague) and it has rained before and I didn't have this happen. I am just very confused. I am also worried about the electronics under the passenger seat getting damaged because the cables are right in it.

I attempted to sop up what I could with a towel since I unfortunately don't have a wet vac or a shop vac that is safe to use with water. My mechanic is closed til monday and I probably cant be seen til at least tuesday, so I want to do whatever I can to make sure it doesnt mold and hopefully get those cables out of the water.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and does anyone have any magic remedies to try to sop more of this up? I don't mind working on my car myself if someone has heard of this happening before and knows whats causing it and what to do, but I am completely unsure right now as what to do besides scratch my head and hope it doesnt promote early rusting or electrical issues.
T_Squadrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
T_Squadrito

NVM on a solution. Found the problem. I dont know who, how, or why, but the AC hose completely came out of the fire wall. like all 3 90 degree turns. I popped it back in but now I need to get the water out. Any ideas for how to get the water out of there? I dont have access to any outdoor outlets so a wetvac is out. The ""right"" way would be to pull the back seat and carpeting and while I am down to do it I am trying to avoid it if at all possible. If anyone has any bright ideas I would love to hear them, otherwaise I am gonna work to wrap my brain around a creative way to fix this.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my brother once had a pontiac, there was a factory seam around the trunk lid that the sealant cracked with age. his front floor board was all that ever got wet. took him months to track down the leak.

first, check your a/c drain hose. it's common for it to get plugged, or disconnected.

second, check simple stuff like door seals.

does the car park outside? has it rained recently?
Old 06-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #4
soundman98

this is what happens when i don't refresh pages...

really, the only way to get it out is to pull the interior.
humfrz (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 02:45 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
this is what happens when i don't refresh pages...

really, the only way to get it out is to pull the interior.
Pay attention ....... keep up ......
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 02:49 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Squadrito View Post
NVM on a solution. Found the problem. I dont know who, how, or why, but the AC hose completely came out of the fire wall. like all 3 90 degree turns. I popped it back in but now I need to get the water out. Any ideas for how to get the water out of there? I dont have access to any outdoor outlets so a wetvac is out. The ""right"" way would be to pull the back seat and carpeting and while I am down to do it I am trying to avoid it if at all possible. If anyone has any bright ideas I would love to hear them, otherwaise I am gonna work to wrap my brain around a creative way to fix this.
Drive the car from your cabin in the woods into a medium sized town. Take it to a car detail shop and have them dry out the interior.

Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Drive the car from your cabin in the woods into a medium sized town. Take it to a car detail shop and have them dry out the interior.

To be honest I think I AM the medium sized town. I live in a city of under 8,000 in New Jersey. I think that says something 😂 but yeah I think a shop may be my only remaining option given I have nowhere to plug in a wet dry shop vac... oof
The Following User Says Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Use a gas station vacuum

With that much water you are going to have a hard time without at least removing the passenger seat. It's only a few bolts.

And take care of it ASAP, water damage/mold is one of the worst things...

Good luck
Old 06-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
You have to pull up the carpeting on the passenger side because there is foam that will get wet and won't dry. Take out the passenger seat (4 12mm bolts I believe, maybe 14?). Pull up the plastic side sills and you can pull up the carpet enough to pull out the foam and let it dry. Stick some towels in there and even some baking soda then vacuum it up. If you don't do this enjoy the mold/must smell forever!
Old 06-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
soundman98

the seats are installed with 'reverse e-torx'. you'll need a set like this to pull the passenger seat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...-pc-56342.html
Old 06-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the seats are installed with 'reverse e-torx'. you'll need a set like this to pull the passenger seat.
Depends on the year I think - my 2013 had etorx, but my 2020 is just a standard metric hex head.
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #12
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Depends on the year I think - my 2013 had etorx, but my 2020 is just a standard metric hex head.
Yeah, my 2014 is e torx. I have some but I’m not sure that they are big enough. I’ll probably have to get more. I discovered the foam also when I fixed the hose. I’ll see if I can get to it this week. I am particularly upset about it. It looks like the car was serviced before I bought it and I don’t know what they did but the entire passenger side looks like it was messed with. The rear seat wasn’t tighten down all the way, the wiring harness under the seat wasn’t plugged in all the way, and one of the clips that holes in the carpet is missing. This is too little care even for a home job.I suspect it was a really lazy shop job and they completely decided not to put the hose back in. Without pulling up the carpet I’m not sure how anyone would’ve even known to look when I had the car inspected, and I certainly wasn’t going to go around pulling the carpet up when I was looking to purchase. Just a shitty situation

Last edited by T_Squadrito; 06-05-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #13
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, my 2014 is e torx. I have some but I’m not sure that they are big enough. I’ll probably have to get more. I discovered the foam also when I fixed the hose. I’ll see if I can get to it this week. I am particularly upset about it. It looks like the car was serviced before I bought it and I don’t know what they did but the entire passenger side looks like it was messed with. The rear seat wasn’t tighten down all the way, the wiring harness under the seat wasn’t plugged in all the way, and one of the clips that holes in the carpet is missing. This is too little care even for a home job.I suspect it was a really lazy shop job and they completely decided not to put the hose back in. Without pulling up the carpet I’m not sure how anyone would’ve even known to look when I had the car inspected, and I certainly wasn’t going to go around pulling the carpet up when I was looking to purchase. Just a shitty situation
Sorry you have to deal with that. I just got done getting mold/mildew out of my car's passenger footwell carpet after a wet track weekend.

I put the "sandbags" I used to hold down my ez-up in the passenger footwell because it was raining when I loaded up. I dried out everything in the trunk but just forgot about the stuff in the footwell, and they were soaked. They are black like the carpet -- probably why I didn't notice them.

When I next checked on the car a week later there was quite a bit of mold/mildew. Mine was just in the carpet though (rubber backed so it didn't soak through into the foam), so some vinegar treatments and then baking soda followed by some carpet shampoo cured mine.

I agree with removing the seat though - the 4 bolts and the wiring connectors and you can get it out and have more room/and get the carpet up.

Good luck.
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-05-2021), T_Squadrito (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #14
Project_1796

Drives: Scion FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Another option is to purchase a 1000 watt+ car power invertor you plug into 12v outlet port while car is running to clean up the water and find some gel packs that absorb moisture.
Project_1796 is offline   Reply With Quote