follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
zygrene

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AWE Touring exhaust - 2 month review

Hey all,

It's been a long time since I've posted but I wanted to get involved in the 2nd gen community. I've owned my '22 BRZ for 7 months and 9000 miles between daily driving and 6 track days. I've kept the mods to a minimum - just a ColorFittings oil cooler, camber bolts, cheap set of wheels and track tires, and the AWE Touring catback exhaust.

Since I've had the exhaust for almost 2 months now, I wanted to share my full impressions. You may already have seen my first impressions video[/URL] from weeks back, but there are some more points I'd like to clarify that might help you decide whether this exhaust is for you.

1) I mentioned in my initial review that the cold start-up is ridiculously loud. That hasn't changed. It's still absurdly loud. It quiets down after 20-30 seconds once the idle rpm drops. From talking to other 1st and 2nd gen owners, this has been an "issue" with aftermarket exhausts for a long time due to the stock tune, which keeps rpms high for 20-30 seconds when the engine is cold in order to warm up the cats for efficiency purposes. For anyone seeking an exhaust that's significantly louder than stock, this is going to be a problem until aftermarket tunes become available, which I hear is coming very soon!

2) The crackles and pops during downshifts are also related to the stock tune. They just aren't apparent until you have an aftermarket exhaust. This can be a pro or con depending on your taste, but for me, I enjoy being able to drive around town without drawing attention to myself. Until I can get this behavior tuned out, I've found that I can drive around it by being slower with my throttle blips during downshifts. Quick, hard jabs of the throttle at low rpm will produce the crackles and pops, but just take your time and ease into the throttle to avoid this.

3) On the track, I LOVE this exhaust. It allows me to hear the engine clearly even with my closed-face helmet on, which makes it easier for me to know where I am in the rev range and nail my shift points. Plus, when downshifting aggressively at higher rpm, there is no snap-crackle-pop behavior at all. I was able to drive 100% at a 95dB day at Thunderhill[/URL] without breaking sound, although I doubt I'd pass at a 90dB Laguna day. I have never disabled the fake engine sound, and now with the exhaust I don't even pay attention to it.

4) Build quality is excellent and I haven't notice any shifting of the exhaust tips since the day I installed.

Verdict: I love the overall sound, quality, and looks of the AWE Touring. All of the negatives are related to the stock tune, which hopefully will be fixed with aftermarket solutions soon. That being said, I wouldn't classify this as a "mild" exhaust. It definitely leans towards the aggressive side despite its name.

If you have any other questions about this exhaust please let me know.

Cheers!
Zygrene

zygrene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zygrene For This Useful Post:
diga (05-22-2023), jbug187 (07-28-2022), ROFL it's Waffle (07-19-2022), spcmafia (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
I just think the ability to swap out the axle-back with the muffled/deleted pipes is an absolute game changer (at least to have it mounted so far back on the chassis). Great review!
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Sara/AWE (07-26-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #3
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
does the new gen not have an OFT tune option?
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lunatic View Post
does the new gen not have an OFT tune option?
Not yet.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
Sara/AWE

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanks for taking the to do this write up zygrene!

Very helpful info for those looking to upgrade and street/track their cars.
Sara/AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sara/AWE For This Useful Post:
ROFL it's Waffle (07-28-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
rawpoly

Drives: 22 WRB BRZ M6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara/AWE View Post
Thanks for taking the to do this write up zygrene!

Very helpful info for those looking to upgrade and street/track their cars.
Any discount for forum members?
rawpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpoly View Post
Any discount for forum members?
While I love discounts myself, I think some things are worth paying full price. They need that money to continue to make quality stuff.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:33 PM   #8
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygrene View Post
2) The crackles and pops during downshifts are also related to the stock tune. They just aren't apparent until you have an aftermarket exhaust. This can be a pro or con depending on your taste, but for me, I enjoy being able to drive around town without drawing attention to myself. Until I can get this behavior tuned out, I've found that I can drive around it by being slower with my throttle blips during downshifts. Quick, hard jabs of the throttle at low rpm will produce the crackles and pops, but just take your time and ease into the throttle to avoid this.
When I had my S2k, I couldn't believe what a simple aftermarket catback did the the car. I'm glad that this much volume comes into the BRZ/GR86 cabin
Old 07-28-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
SlowTime

Drives: 2009 MX-5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for honest review. Saved me from ordering this exhaust. I just can't have that much noise at start up.
SlowTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awe, catback, exhaust, touring