follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #29
Interceptor777

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 1999 "touge-spec" Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What is the "brake LSD?"
Individually apply the rear brakes to get the differential to send power to the desired wheel.

I'm not exactly sure what purpose it serves on the BRZ given that we already have a mechanical Torsen LSD.

But going by the fact that it gets turned off in full track mode, I assume the use for it is for something like loose roads or snow vs performance driving.
Interceptor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor777 For This Useful Post:
Pete (12-14-2021), Spuds (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #30
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadriver View Post
So does this mean pedal dance is no longer required for track?
Electronic brake force distribution is not mentioned, so I am assuming it is still on. This was turned off with pedal dance in gen1.

The real question is whether pedal dance still works in gen2.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #31
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Electronic brake force distribution is not mentioned, so I am assuming it is still on. This was turned off with pedal dance in gen1.

The real question is whether pedal dance still works in gen2.
I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I did it wrong.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #32
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor777 View Post
Individually apply the rear brakes to get the differential to send power to the desired wheel.

I'm not exactly sure what purpose it serves on the BRZ given that we already have a mechanical Torsen LSD.

But going by the fact that it gets turned off in full track mode, I assume the use for it is for something like loose roads or snow vs performance driving.
This is correct. Torsens don't work well on uneven surfaces with large differences in grip. The brake diff (which most cars have) is more effective as pushing torque to one side in those situations, though at the cost of sucking twice as much power out of the other side.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Interceptor777 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 11:57 PM   #33
Fingat

Drives: 22 BRZ (WRB)
On the third morning I had the car all of the MFD settings had reset. RPM limit, beep etc, has not done it since. On my 15 wrx it had a similar bug with the middle mfd when it was too cold out. It was fixed by a software update I think.
Fingat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #34
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by imLawZ View Post
The back seats are much less usable this gen than the 1st gen.

Last gen, I was able to use the back seats (not often) in a pinch to carry two passengers on a short drive. Yesterday, I tried doing the same thing with the same two passengers on the 2nd gen but there was absolutely no room (seats seem to be bigger?)
Tell the to sit cross-legged.

Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
Quagmire (01-18-2022)
Old 12-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
Clott

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS(Sold): Fiesta ST
Am I trippin or does this car not tell us, how many miles until empty? Trying to drive mine down to the wire then fill up with Premium since the dealership filled her up with regular .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #36
Interceptor777

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 1999 "touge-spec" Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clott View Post
Am I trippin or does this car not tell us, how many miles until empty? Trying to drive mine down to the wire then fill up with Premium since the dealership filled her up with regular .

One scroll down from the voltage and oil pressure gauge. It's the bottom piece of info below your gas mileage and all that.
Interceptor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor777 For This Useful Post:
Clide (12-15-2021), Clott (12-15-2021), timurrrr (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 05:38 PM   #37
Clott

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS(Sold): Fiesta ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor777 View Post
One scroll down from the voltage and oil pressure gauge. It's the bottom piece of info below your gas mileage and all that.

That’s what I was thinking, but wasn’t sure. Mine goes in increments of 10. No gas light yet, but says I have 30miles.

Clott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #38
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Low fuel warning comes on at 20km remaining. Much lower than anything else I've had before.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #39
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 BRZ View Post
Low fuel warning comes on at 20km remaining. Much lower than anything else I've had before.
I think it's because it's a very conservative/pessimistic gauge. My mpg is ~29.0 and it's reading 120 miles of range at the halfway mark.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #40
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderization View Post
I think it's because it's a very conservative/pessimistic gauge. My mpg is ~29.0 and it's reading 120 miles of range at the halfway mark.
29mpg, wow. Highest I've gotten is 25.X. You're either on the interstate all the time or I'm driving like a complete @$$hole.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #41
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
29mpg, wow. Highest I've gotten is 25.X. You're either on the interstate all the time or I'm driving like a complete @$$hole.
A lot of highway miles trying to get break-in done relatively quickly but I do a good amount of "60-80" crawls in 6th .

I also granny short-shift on surface streets enough to annoy everyone else.

To clarify, computer indicates 29.0, last fill up was ~29.2 based on odometer miles.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #42
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have driven my BRZ just over 300 miles, and I wanted to give everyone my first impressions. Of course, all these comments are my opinion, so take them for what they are worth. First, it looks great, and I love its lines.

The Great:
The best thing about this car is the power and the gearing to apply the power to the wheels. I am coming from a 328 hp Infiniti G37 Sport manual. Yes, I could make the car go off the line, but that was its only mode. I had to rev it up to 3k rpm to feel any power out of it. I stalled my G37 more than any other car I have owned. I felt like I had to punch it just to take off easily. In contrast, the BRZ is light and takes off with ease. You don't have to gun the gas to get it to go. Yes, the G37 weighs 4k lb compared to 2800 lb, so that tells me that power is not everything. Where the power is in the RPM and the gearing makes all the difference.

The power in the BRZ is very nice for its weight. I, too, have kept it under the 4k RPMs, so I cannot wait to peg the RPMs out and feel the full power. I love the even or flat power curve in the BRZ. Again I am comparing it to the G37. The G37 had a huge power thrust at 3k RPMs. It was so bad I had to let off the gas when the engine got to 3k. It was so jerky because of it. Well, so far up to 4k RPMs on the BRZ the power curve is very smooth. I LOVE IT!

The clutch is great too. To me, it is very light which I love. I can feel it when it engages. Several people are switching out the spring, but I don't feel the need. I switched out the spring in the G37 because I was doing everything I could to try to fix that car. I am exaggerating, but I never did learn the G37's clutch.

I like the directional headlights. They are a neat idea and they work well. I notice the left headlight turns to the left and the right head remains straight turning in a curve to the left. The opposite is true as well. The right headlight turns right while the left light stays straight in a curve to the right. They will not move if the car is sitting still.

The Not Bad But Not Great:
The radio is not the best. It sounds hollow. You can tweak the settings to make it a little better. Overall it is a good radio. It does get loud but if you are playing any music with bass in it it sounds worse the louder you go. For example, I was playing U2 - The Joshua Tree and it sounded great, but when I played any Chris Brown songs the bass was distorted. People are talking of getting the bass option for the truck, but I am not sure if this will fix the sound quality. It might need more intelligence in the head unit to send the low tones to the bigger speakers and the high tones to the smaller speakers. I don't know, maybe just all-around higher quality speakers will fix it. My G37 had a Bose system in it, and I could turn the volume all the way up and it always sounded great.

The Apple Play does at times seem a little buggy. One time I was playing Chris Brown and on a phone call at the same time. I am not sure if the caller could hear the music or not. I am not too concerned about it. I am hoping there will be a system update soon to fix most of the little issues. A final thought on the radio is that it is okay. I will leave it as is for a while until some come up with a fix that is not too costly.

This is not a complaint but an observation. The BRZ is lower than any other car I have had. I like it though, but the headlights shine in the back windshield way more than I am used to. I do have the auto-dimming mirror which makes this a moot point.

Getting in the car is a little harder too. It's not bad, and currently, I am not sliding the seat back before getting out of the car. I may go to this method later.

My only complaint is there is no place for your phone. I have been putting it in the cupholders, but it cannot be both a cupholder and a phone holder. I am looking to make a place for my phone in front of the gear shifter.

Well, I love the BRZ and the few minor issues would not prevent me from buying the car. These minor issues will just become several fun projects to do to the car over the next few years. It's got all the basic stuff there and checks all my must-have boxes like rear-wheel drive, manual transmission, and great power to weight ratio. I cannot wait to hit the 1000 mile marker.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-16-2021), Flarpswitch (03-14-2022), Frost (12-15-2021), Quagmire (01-18-2022)