follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #29
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiclow View Post
Hello Guys

So I have tracked 3 times this season all with the same setup, just so I could learn the car more and try to tune it to my preference.

For starters this is what I was running on my car for track.

1. KWV3 set up as per Myles recommend

front compression- back off 7 clicks from full stiff.
front rebound-back off 10 clicks from full stiff

rear compression - back off 8 clicks from full stiff.
rear rebound- back off 7 clicks from full stiff.

-1.5 camber on front and -2.0 on back wheels. 0 Toe. car lowered 1.8 inches

2. XXR 530 17x8.25 et 35 with Hankook RS3 245/40/17

3. Front and rear sways by Eibach with stock endlinks

4. Hawk HP+ Stoptech brakelines and motul dot 4

5. Takeda CAI, HKS catless front, invidia cross pipe, invidia q300 catback
Perrin Pulley, Kartboy Shortshifter.

I personally think my setup is alright, but when I was on track I just can't seem to take the corners as fast as I wished it would be. I take my lines quite aggressively, hard braking, quick turn in, car pushes a little, floor the gas. I also run on VSC sport

Issues that bothers me.

1. My tires are kinda squeaking/sliding when I am turning even on my 4th lap
2. My body roll seems pretty big considering all the shit i got on.
3. with all those engine mods I still get creamed by civics on straightaways.

Can some of you track masters please sheds some light on what I can do to improve my car or myself.

For example, would upgrading the endlinks make a difference? Should I run more aggressive camber? Any other bushings or mounts I should be looking at?

P.S I apologize for my grammar or whatever mistakes that I made.

Thank you for all your help!!!!!
With those coilovers and Eibach bars, you are not experiencing body roll, it is likely the sensation of you having to hold on because you don't have a seat / harness / etc... If you are not connected to the car it is difficult to judge what the car is doing and what you are doing, unless what you are doing is obvious.

Like everyone else said, practice, practice, practice. I am on the more liberal side of modding because I like tinkering with the car, but you have to have a great ability to sense the changes to get away with it. On a given setup, I can put down laps within .1 of each other with no traffic so any change is noticeable.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
Magiclow (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 AM   #30
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
And like someone else said... that is nowhere near enough front camber.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
Magiclow (09-30-2015), ultra (10-09-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #31
Magiclow

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Blue FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This subforum is especially harsh to newcomers, as many questions have been asked over and over (and over and over and over and over and over).

Focus on driving, and the rest will come naturally (speed, setup knowledge, etc.)

Although it may be a bit pricey to fly me out, I'm always available for coaching. I typically book up 6-8 weeks in advance, but I guarantee you will have results.
Hey Mike thank you for your generous offer, I will definitely take it into SERIOUS consideration. I have a family and a child, so I had to give up many things/hobbies in my life, I bought, sold and tracked many cars then eventually sell them for more "family" suitable vehicles, but for some reason I just always come back to this scene, My wife and I have decided that this is my one and only hobby that I am allowed to keep (took lots and lots of persuading). So even if I may not be able to take up on your offer now, I will definitely redeem this offer in the future, maybe for a different car, I don't know, but its something I will keep at the back of my mind.

Thank you
Magiclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #32
Matt Covert

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Magiclow I like how calm you are in the midst of some of this craziness.

There's no doubt that tuning a car is super fun, but like some of the guys on here I definitely think that being fast is 80% driver skill, 15% car, and 5% performance upgrades.

That being said, if you're interested in improving your skills (as opposed to spending more money on cool parts) I'd highly recommend any of Ross Bentley's books, Going faster by Skip Barber, or any of Carroll Smith's books. They're between 15-30 dollars and full of awesome content.

If you don't want to spend any money, I've been giving away a free eBook that has 72 pages focused on driver improvement. See my signature.

And in any case you'll get better with more practice, keep at it!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #33
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
1. Fix your camber. You need more negative in front than is the rear. No matter how good you drive you'll be fighting your front tires with your current setup, which will be frustrating.

2. Do more track days. Get a driving coach at a track day whenever you can. Listen to them.

3. Practice practice practice, tweak settings a bit, practice practice practice, repeat.

4. One of the best ways to learn how to drive fast and smooth is go karts. Find a good go kart track near you, rent a kart and try to get your lap times down there. If they have a leaderboard for rental karts all the better. This also removes car setup from the equation.

5. Remain humble. You have an excellent attitude. No matter how good you get it's important to retain that 'beginner's mind'. There'll always be somebody faster, always something to improve but you'll always have more fun without an ego chip on your shoulder.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-09-2015)