follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RPM hesitation on WOT?

Hey guys,

I'm still not sure if this is an ignition coil problem or a DI failure. No popping noises for me, had the P0351 code pop up a lot of times and cleared it a lot of times, it's just that it came up at high RPMs and didn't do any harm or show anything like the ignition coil is really faulty. But, now there's no CEL and whenever I go WOT I can feel the car hesitating like some sort of lag whenever under 5k RPM, and after 5k RPM the rpm goes up smoothly. Any idea?

My best bet is the ignition coil giving away, but can someone explain to me the symptoms of a direct injector failure as to relating that failure to my problem? did it cause any mis-fire or hesitation on WOT when your injector failed?

Last edited by Yamajee; 07-09-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajee View Post
Hey guys,

I'm still not sure if this is an ignition coil problem or a DI failure. No popping noises for me, had the P0351 code pop up a lot of times and cleared it a lot of times, it's just that it came up at high RPMs and didn't do any harm or show anything like the ignition coil is really faulty. But, now there's no CEL and whenever I go WOT I can feel the car hesitating like some sort of lag whenever under 5k RPM, and after 5k RPM the rpm goes up smoothly. Any idea?

My best bet is the ignition coil giving away, but can someone explain to me the symptoms of a direct injector failure as to relating that failure to my problem? did it cause any mis-fire or hesitation on WOT when your injector failed?
definitely looks like coil 1 failed (last digit is coil number) , this coil seems to fail the most maybe due heat , when code returns leave it up ,should be done under warrante unless you have significant mods eg turbo.

you usually get firecracker/popping sounds with DI seal failure, often with no cel.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
definitely looks like coil 1 failed (last digit is coil number) , this coil seems to fail the most maybe due heat , when code returns leave it up ,should be done under warrante unless you have significant mods eg turbo.

you usually get firecracker/popping sounds with DI seal failure, often with no cel.
I've had this ignition coil issue for nearly a year now and the dealer is still convinced that it's out of their hands and ordering it from Japan will take over 45 days, (yaay Dubai), might replace it myself, no mods just an exhaust.

No sounds for me, just the usual sounds of engine mis-firing with no backfire or anything, that feeling when it wants to rev but it holds itself as if you're letting off the gas pedal and then back full and so on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFa2IvNs9g"]Frs popping noise when given throttle free revving or cruising, rolling on throttle to pass. - YouTube[/ame]

is this what DI failure sounds like?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've had this ignition coil issue for nearly a year now and the dealer is still convinced that it's out of their hands and ordering it from Japan will take over 45 days, (yaay Dubai), might replace it myself, no mods just an exhaust.

No sounds for me, just the usual sounds of engine mis-firing with no backfire or anything, that feeling when it wants to rev but it holds itself as if you're letting off the gas pedal and then back full and so on.

is this what DI failure sounds like?
Hard to tell from video but does not sound good, definitly get dealer to check it out as it will cause further problems (often serious) if it is DI seal fail in progress.

its not a simple job

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=di+seal+fail

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hard to tell from video but does not sound good, definitly get dealer to check it out as it will cause further problems (often serious) if it is DI seal fail in progress.

its not a simple job

That wasn't my car, found the video on youtube and thanks I'll check out the links.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey guys,

Did you ever solve the issue you were having? What as it?
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Did you ever solve the issue you were having? What as it?
Had to clean out the injectors to resolve this issue, some had to replace them but cleaning them worked for me.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
fmsida

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Had to clean out the injectors to resolve this issue, some had to replace them but cleaning them worked for me.
How did you clean them out or what process did you take? I am having similar issues, please PM me if you get a chance.
Thanks.
fmsida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsida View Post
How did you clean them out or what process did you take? I am having similar issues, please PM me if you get a chance.
Thanks.
No clue, the dealership did that for me.. however, I do know that when injectors are cleaned, it's through a special machine made to clean them.

Something like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamajee For This Useful Post:
fmsida (01-14-2015)