follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #15
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I’m running the Mishimoto, so far, so good. Ill be heading to the track in a couple weeks, we’ll see how it holds up
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Submarinesonce For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (10-15-2021), rookietopro_frs (10-22-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #16
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarinesonce View Post
I’m running the Mishimoto, so far, so good. Ill be heading to the track in a couple weeks, we’ll see how it holds up
Sweet, I just finished getting all of my parts, deciding if I want to install the turbo setup sooner or later
Old 10-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #17
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookietopro_frs View Post
I just installed the JDL Slim Fan Shroud, build quality is amazing. Only issue I'm having is figure out the wiring part. Was told a 14 amp relay is what I need (if anyone done this already let me know)
Pick that big of a relay or larger. Use the existing fan wiring that powers it to activate your relay. I don't think it's run via a relay already. The stock fans are weak. Use the relay to wire in directly from the battery with properly sized (larger) wire to handle the added current the better fan system will draw.

You can look up data on wiring gauge and how much current each size can safely handle. Then check your fan amperage and add a 1.2-1.5 safety factor selecting your wire.

HKS SC on a 14 FRS for reference. I never see my stock temp needle move off the norm it's always run. I watch it closely, but just don't really push that hard or do any track or autox. I'm used to the car much feeling much warmer before the FI upgrade.

Last edited by jeepmor; 10-30-2021 at 10:57 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
rookietopro_frs (10-20-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 01:31 AM   #18
rookietopro_frs

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Pick that big of a relay or larger. Use the existing fan wiring that powers it to activate your relay. I don't think it's run via a relay already. The stock fans are weak. Use the relay to wire in directly from the battery with properly sized (larger) wire to handle the added current the better fan system will draw.

You can look up data on wiring gauge and how much current each size can safely handle. Then check your fan amperage and add a 1.2-1.5 safety factor selecting your wire.

HKS SC on a 14 FRS for reference. I never see my stock temp needle move off the norm it's always run. I watch it closely, but just don't really push that hard or do any track or autox. I used to the car much warmer before the FI upgrade.
Yeah I'm trying to look for the wiring gauge to buy & a diagram for guidance. Have the relay waiting now. If you have useful links please let me know
rookietopro_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookietopro_frs For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (11-03-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:43 PM   #19
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just look up a relay schematic, then select proper wire. I gather the fan kit will tell you amperage draw requirements. Add some wiggle room to your fuse unless actually specified in the instructions.

Your power wire for your OEM fans is now your signal wire to flip the relay. And you retain stock on/off temps. Not sure how to change these, probably in the ECU. Or you could wire a switch to run them yourself, on command. Not sure I'd do that either, if I did, I'd wire both in so I could turns fans on or off, but keep the OEM signal wire in the loop as well. This would be some double relay setup and creative wiring.

I wired my Vanagon back in the day to split the batteries to individual service so I could use the starting battery to run the stereo/car when running, and the RV battery to run the stereo and RV side (lights/waterpump) on a different battery so if I killed it with the stereo or lights left on, I still had a dedicated starting/auto battery. It worked awesome.

Quick look to try and help. Looks like a good source for guidance. Draw your own schematic first using a relay schematic, then it's just putting placing the bits and putting it together. Some good crimpers or solder and heat shrink.

Wire selection
https://wiringproducts.com/blogs/tec...utomotive-wire

relays to look at

https://wiringproducts.com/pages/swi...elays-flashers

https://wiringproducts.com/collectio...omotive-relays
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote