follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 10-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #81145
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Anybody have an opinion on me getting an OFT if I have no plans currently to do another custom dyno tune (with Ecutek) like I did before?

I don't want to spend another $1200-2000 after how poorly the last one went and I know a lot of people have decent experiences just using the standard stage X tunes that are available for OFT at this point.

According to the forums, you lose your Ecutek license if you flash with OFT. But I contacted Ecutek myself this week and they confirmed my VIN is in their records. They insisted that if I "lose" the license by using OFT they'll re-activate it without any problems/fee for a tuner to tune my car with Ecutek again if I ever want to.

So it's tempting to pick up an OFT and try one.

You can’t really lose to much giving it a go. It’s an easy sell if you decide to revert and there are people like steve99 that can do custom tuning for a reasonable price if you decide you want a bit more.
Spuds (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #81146
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
It's been a bad year for Miata's I'll admit but we are taking steps to rectify that and one of those offenders has been suspended for several months.

There's SO much racing to enjoy in the PacNW that doesn't put you as risk of Miatas - especially racing with Conference.

If my budget changes so I could give it a go I would be all over it. I may have a shot at a lucky dog seat next year but it’s still pretty up in the air but as of now W2W is still just out of my reach.
Ultramaroon (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #81147
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Anybody have an opinion on me getting an OFT if I have no plans currently to do another custom dyno tune (with Ecutek) like I did before?

I don't want to spend another $1200-2000 after how poorly the last one went and I know a lot of people have decent experiences just using the standard stage X tunes that are available for OFT at this point.

According to the forums, you lose your Ecutek license if you flash with OFT. But I contacted Ecutek myself this week and they confirmed my VIN is in their records. They insisted that if I "lose" the license by using OFT they'll re-activate it without any problems/fee for a tuner to tune my car with Ecutek again if I ever want to.

I have one. The oft tunes are pretty safe and do give a bit of a performance bump, and also changes the throttle mapping (iirc?) which makes it easier to drive IMO. I have it set up in front of my analog speedometer so I can check oil temperature, timing, and some other stuff while driving which is useful.

On the other hand, I also spent like 2 months learning how to get the maf and and other bits dialed in because imprecision bothers me... Though updating to the v4, the stock maf scale was much better for my car.

Moral of the story, what you don't know won't drive you crazy. If you have any thoughts of getting it just right, be prepared to spend a few months staring at logs and scratching your head lol.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #81148
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The remote tune via Ecutek is SO much better than the OTS tune with community provided tweaks I had on the old car... Not so much power, which is hard to compare. But low rpm behavior and stop-n-go traffic and idle? No more weird stutters and having to clutch and rev t keep from having the car sputter to a stop.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:54 PM   #81149
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You can’t really lose to much giving it a go. It’s an easy sell if you decide to revert and there are people like steve99 that can do custom tuning for a reasonable price if you decide you want a bit more.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Plus they do seem to sell pretty quick when I've seen them listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I have one. The oft tunes are pretty safe and do give a bit of a performance bump, and also changes the throttle mapping (iirc?) which makes it easier to drive IMO. I have it set up in front of my analog speedometer so I can check oil temperature, timing, and some other stuff while driving which is useful.

On the other hand, I also spent like 2 months learning how to get the maf and and other bits dialed in because imprecision bothers me... Though updating to the v4, the stock maf scale was much better for my car.

Moral of the story, what you don't know won't drive you crazy. If you have any thoughts of getting it just right, be prepared to spend a few months staring at logs and scratching your head lol.
I don't necessarily mind that as long as I make sure I don't do anything to mess up my car, lol. But I'm a software engineer so I kinda know my limits when it comes to software stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
The remote tune via Ecutek is SO much better than the OTS tune with community provided tweaks I had on the old car... Not so much power, which is hard to compare. But low rpm behavior and stop-n-go traffic and idle? No more weird stutters and having to clutch and rev t keep from having the car sputter to a stop.
When you say "remote tune via Ecutek" I'm guessing you mean with someone like Zach from CSG?
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 10-14-2021, 12:04 AM   #81150
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
When you say "remote tune via Ecutek" I'm guessing you mean with someone like Zach from CSG?

James M. @ HRI Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
spike021 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:16 AM   #81151
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Yeah, but there are also tweaks and customizations you can make to the oft ots tunes as well. And you can actually see them in an unlocked tune.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #81152
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

I keep reading people recommending him and I'm curious about how that works. @steve99
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #81153
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I keep reading people recommending him and I'm curious about how that works. @steve99
He mostly hangs out in the tuning section, and I think the process starts by PMing him. There are a couple of other folks that either have their own ots tunes for the oft and/or will customize the tune for your car. Typically how e-tuning works is you drive around while logging data on an OTS tune then send them the logs, and they get it dialed in for you by iteration. They may also make feature/drivability changes by request, but that's more work I think.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #81154
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Yup. I'm sure a day on a Dyno with good gas could extract a bit more, but that's almost not even an option later with OFT. I badly wanted OFT to live up to its potential, and I'm sure the device can... But I didn't have the expertise to fix the issues.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #81155
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yeah, but there are also tweaks and customizations you can make to the oft ots tunes as well. And you can actually see them in an unlocked tune.
I did. Tried so many things. Some things definitely got better, likely just because the Nameless header I hneededad on that car those changes. Maybe remote tuning from someone who knows what's up could make it equivalent... But if the license is already ourchased, I don't see even that as value. Maybe tweaks from the community have gone further in the time since. It was fun for a while, but in the end I just wanted something that worked right.
Spuds (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #81156
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
James M. @ HRI Tuning
I have heard great things about him. The only issue I'd be concerned with (which I guess is still the case if I try OFT) is that if I have issues again like the last time then the tuner won't be local and if I bring a car to a shop to get it checked out they won't know what the tune changed.

Quote:
Yup. I'm sure a day on a Dyno with good gas could extract a bit more, but that's almost not even an option later with OFT. I badly wanted OFT to live up to its potential, and I'm sure the device can... But I didn't have the expertise to fix the issues.
Yeah been there done that with him via TRL and it's a long story that some of the guys here have heard basically ad nauseum but I refuse to give them anymore of my money.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 10-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #81157
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I did. Tried so many things. Some things definitely got better, likely just because the Nameless header I hneededad on that car those changes. Maybe remote tuning from someone who knows what's up could make it equivalent... But if the license is already ourchased, I don't see even that as value. Maybe tweaks from the community have gone further in the time since. It was fun for a while, but in the end I just wanted something that worked right.
Took me years to get my tune with OFT tweaked to work right with the Nameless header. The AVCS timing needs a lot of work to get it right and the chart for timings other had posted did not work for me. Right now I am open source FF tuned by steve99 and the car runs great. I am sure I could get more out of it with a dyno tune, but our local twin guy passed away suddenly this year.
cjd (10-15-2021), Ultramaroon (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #81158
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I have heard great things about him. The only issue I'd be concerned with (which I guess is still the case if I try OFT) is that if I have issues again like the last time then the tuner won't be local and if I bring a car to a shop to get it checked out they won't know what the tune changed.

Yeah been there done that with him via TRL and it's a long story that some of the guys here have heard basically ad nauseum but I refuse to give them anymore of my money.

Another thing is that you being in CA, don't know how far, if you already own ECUTEK, why not schedule an apt with CSG?

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis