follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

View Poll Results: Brz, civic si, miata
Brz 45 63.38%
Civic Si 7 9.86%
Miata 13 18.31%
other 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2021, 06:33 AM   #85
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Cool.
Doubt any of that applies to OP.
Can strap to roof and/or get a mini trailer and do pretty much the same.
I did look into rack options, and while there a couple reports of people fudging something together there are no proper Quality/safe options for a roof rack available on the 86. It would also kill the look of the car and risk damaging the paint, notwithstanding the fact that the space between bars eould be so narrow that you would not be reliably be able to put much on top. Regarding towing, kind of same thing, it technically can be done with a lot of limitations, but it’s not really design to tow. Most lightweight trailers will get you near max towing capacity just being empty without any gear, with barely any safety margin left. If I needed a roof rack and tow, I would simply get another car, like the wrx instead.

I forgot to mention, My road/hybrid bike also fits in the trunk of my brz with the seat folded down, with the front wheel taken off via its quick release. Its a bit tight but it fits. When getting my winter/summer tires changed, they also all fit in folded seat area, with the rest of the trunk still available. Like I said, surprisingly practical...

Wrt choosing between them, as others have said my recommendation to the OP would be to test drive each of them back to back, and then decide. Personally I was debating between the brz and wrx and tried both, and chose the brz for how engaging it is to drive. 8 years later I don’t regret my choice one bit and plan to keep it for as long as it’s going to go. Initially I was concerned about driving it in the winter, and I’m now in my 8th year of driving it all year round including heavy snow and ice. All you need a top shelf set of winter tires like the Nokians Hak9 or studded Hak9 and you’re all set. As a matter of fact, driving it in winter is a lot of fun...

Last edited by falcon_wizard; 03-16-2021 at 07:03 AM.
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #86
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
I did look into rack options, and while there a couple reports of people fudging something together there are no proper Quality/safe options for a roof rack available on the 86. It would also kill the look of the car and risk damaging the paint, notwithstanding the fact that the space between bars eould be so narrow that you would not be reliably be able to put much on top. Regarding towing, kind of same thing, it technically can be done with a lot of limitations, but it’s not really design to tow. Most lightweight trailers will get you near max towing capacity just being empty without any gear, with barely any safety margin left. If I needed a roof rack and tow, I would simply get another car, like the wrx instead.

I forgot to mention, My road/hybrid bike also fits in the trunk of my brz with the seat folded down, with the front wheel taken off via its quick release. Its a bit tight but it fits. When getting my winter/summer tires changed, they also all fit in folded seat area, with the rest of the trunk still available. Like I said, surprisingly practical...

Wrt choosing between them, as others have said my recommendation to the OP would be to test drive each of them back to back, and then decide. Personally I was debating between the brz and wrx and tried both, and chose the brz for how engaging it is to drive. 8 years later I don’t regret my choice one bit and plan to keep it for as long as it’s going to go. Initially I was concerned about driving it in the winter, and I’m now in my 8th year of driving it all year round including heavy snow and ice. All you need a top shelf set of winter tires like the Nokians Hak9 or studded Hak9 and you’re all set. As a matter of fact, driving it in winter is a lot of fun...
The roof and/or trailer which plenty of people do all the time was a suggestion for the miata to be able to do on occasions all of the things you had mentioned.

Personally I would never use either vehicle beyond transport from A to B, or as a toy. They both have plenty of space for basic things like daily luggage, and groceries.

I can only imagine what your interior condition looks like trying to cram all that inside.

and again how much of what you are saying applies to the OP.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buying, first car, help me